2014 USLPRO lineup?

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by bullsear, Aug 4, 2013.

1. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So at this point let's review what we know. So we have two confirmed expansion teams; Sacramento and OKC. Has their been in confirmation of any teams not returning? I think we all assume that Antigua won't be back. But is that official yet. But let's go with assumption that they won't be back. So where does that leave us? Let's start with the for sure teams that should be back; Orlando, Charleston, Charlotte, Wilmington, Richmond, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, Rochester. So the running total is now 10. So the league has mentioned there is a new ownership group in Phoenix. So I guess we can add them to that group, which brings us to 11. Which leaves what I like to call our iffy group. Those we wonder how they keep things going. That would be Tampa, Dayton and LA. My guess is that all 3 will be back. So that brings us to 14.

So it would seem that based on what we know, an assumption and has been released by the league. we should be at 14 teams for next season. I happen to think we'll end up with a different list from what we have above. LOL

You could throw in some of the rumored teams for next year. Those would be a LA Galaxy reserve team, St. Louis and a Toronto Lynx putting a team in Hamilton.

2. Alistair Fannell

Aug 13, 2013
    Springfield, Missouri
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Do you think the Austin Aztex will be in the USL Pro 2014.?

3. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't read or heard anything that indicated that they were ready to move up. But you never know. I think the biggest item for them again will be venue and the increase and the increase in cost across the board. I think way too many of us on here / BigSoccer see a good attendance in the PDL and think wow, they should move up to USL Pro. Without taking into consideration all the additional cost in doing that. For the most part I think the vast majority of the current PDL groups would need additional investment with the ability to take losses.

So back to your question. No, I don't think they will be in the USL Pro for the 2014 season. But heck, what do I know. LOL

4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to recall a podcast with Tim Holt a month or so ago (MLS Reserves maybe) where he was asked about the Antigua situation. reading through his PC and company line response was that it likely would be up to the teams come the AGM which I don't see wanting Antigua around.

Hearing some interesting things out of Dayton which makes me believe they will be in around for awhile.

Tampa is an strange situation. they ownership group (VSI) has very successful youth teams and camps in Europe and the US. they have several big name and wealthy owners that run that. They spent a lot on players this past season but didn't seem to know how to market the club. they probably have the money to go it a couple years

For me the biggest question mark is above LA proverbial head. their owner publicly said they would address the club's future at the end of the third year. that was last season. But I noticed they are doing player trials so who knows.

I wouldn't be surprised if an existing PDL or MLS team announces another team before we are all done. the AGM is in Florida in a month or so and I think that will be the deadline for announcements for 2014.

5. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that this means anything (as most of us that have been around with teams at this level longer than a day can attest to) but the LA Blues announced (well tweeted back in October anyway) that they would be back in 2014 and today Season Tickets went on sale: http://www.labluesprosoccer.net/tickets.html

Agree with Mikey though, we won't know until the AGM and even then things could still change until (or after) first kick.

Mikey mouse repped this.
  6. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VSI will probably be like the Blues: idiots with money who don't mind losing it for a while if they have to. But if they're going to be serious, they better get started with that permanent stadium solution they were originally talking about.

7. Alistair Fannell

Aug 13, 2013
    Springfield, Missouri
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    And VSI ownership should build their own soccer stadium.

8. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #58 mikehurst21, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  9. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Not quite dead:

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know that's from 2 weeks ago, right?

Just sayin'...the franchise's original ownership had their franchise rights terminated two weeks ago. The next day, the league said there would be new owners announced by month's end. I personally take the under on that, but there are no facts in evidence that I'm aware of that they are completely dead yet. Especially when there has been some reporting and speculation in the interim.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everybody should build their own soccer stadium. Because they're so ridiculously easy to build.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if you are Sacramento apparently you can get others to pay for it. Seems easy peezy.

13. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I have to assume that if Sacto can figure out a business plan that gets a pretty nice temp stadium built, it has to be a plan others can replicate. It's way better than playing on a high school or small college field that has a track around it. A purpose-built stadium, even a temp one, just comes across as more professional.

I think the clincher is attendance. Sacramento is banking heavily on pretty solid attendance. With 2000 season ticket deposits collected in the first week (1000 in the first 4 hours), its looking like a good bet.

14. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard the interview with Bruce Arena on mlssoccer.com about Galaxy starting one, so I also agree thats seperate from the LA Blues. This is the first time I have heard about FC Dallas. I wonder where they will really start something new or just affiliate. Austin Aztex?

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it does, when one minor league team in all these years has a concept that has yet to actually happen, it seems as easy as pie. I can't believe no one else in all these years has either thought of this or been able to pull it off, being as simple as it is.

Argh.

You know soccer didn't just show up last week, right? You know people have been trying to figure this out for years? And that just because it works - or has a good-sounding concept that hasn't actually, you know, panned out yet - in one city, does not mean it can be replicated like a 3D printer somewhere else. If it were that easy, DC and everybody else would just have stadiums now. It's not easy.

17. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "Does not mean it can be replicated like a 3D printer".......Really dude???? Try reading the entire post. I said that I believe Sacramento is banking on solid attendance to make the temp stadium investment pan out. Sacramento may be jumping on the soccer popularity bandwagon at the right time, and/or they may be doing a little "thinking outside the box". Who knows?? (You and I don't).

IF Sacramento makes it work, other owners and/or future investors (that actually have money, business sense and a potentially good market) may follow Sac's lead. It beats the hell out of setting up a "pro" team, only to have them play in a high school stadium.

It's a $3 million temp stadium that'll seat 8K, so I'm pretty sure its not a stadium plan DC United would really look at. Nice try

18. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Guess the only other question marks for 2014 are LA Blues and Phoenix apparently, either 11 or 13 teams total unless Toronto Lynx's move to Hamilton and D3 USL Pro works out.

Sac looks like their doing things right, OKC Energy should survive 2014 and probably gone a year or two later, hopefully the other two upstarts pick non NASL markets and most likely will I would think.

19. pletch99

pletch99 Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Winchester, England
    What makes you think they are going to start sides in other markets? I think it would be far less risky and probably much more cost effective to simply enter a reserve side in the league. Presumably, the clubs will not play in the MLS reserve league, so it's not like this would require a massive increase in expenditure. Reserve teams playing in lower division football is common else where in the world. The aims of these clubs is clearly going to be player development, not growing the game or making money.

I can't really see the benefit of starting a whole new subsidiary club in another market and spending on a venue, marketing etc.

20. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we may see both models in terms of MLS-owned USL Clubs.... plenty of different ways to approach it.

21. pletch99

pletch99 Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Winchester, England
    Maybe. I just can't see any advantages to the MLS club of starting a new club. On the whole MLS seems to be quite good at not throwing a ton of money away. Some Chicago Fire DP signings apart :)

22. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you mostly that it seems like it would be smarter to have a solo front office stadium etc.

One thing I think some clubs might be thinking is growing their brand in a new market. Say for instance Seattle having a team in Tacoma.

I doubt USL would have made a statement saying they have an owner for Phoenix unless it was happening. they are nortorious about not releasing info until the "Ts" are crossed.

and LA is selling season tickets. but stranger things have happened in lower division soccer..

23. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think MLS teams that create USL Pro teams are going to inherently put them in distant markets, but I don't think they're going to play at their home venue either for a variety of reasons. Both MLS and USL Pro want the reserve teams to feel like real teams, so that the games matter to the players so that it's a better development environment. Playing at a big empty MLS venue or on a training field doesn't really accomplish this.

I think the best approach in many of the markets would be to play the reserve side in a smaller venue a half hour to two hours away from the MLS venue. This way the players could still train locally and easily be transferred to the senior side when need be, but it also would help reach new fans. The atmosphere would at these games would be better than it would if held in mostly empty MLS venues, and it may be cheaper to run a small venue for the game.

Some clubs clearly are thinking this way. Toronto FC wants to affiliate with the Toronto Lynx, who would move to Hamilton, which is 40 miles south. That's far enough for the Lynx to establish a separate fan base, which could make the project much more economically viable. But it's still close enough for Toronto to be able to closely monitor their players' development.

Another example is the Sounders, who own the Starfire Complex ten miles south of Century Link Field, so that's where Seattle would presumably put its USL Pro squad, but there's also talk of Tacoma or Everett, which are 30 miles south and north respectively of downtown.

Many other MLS teams play in sprawling metropolitan areas with plenty of locations that might work. FC Dallas could play its squad in Ft. Worth or Arlington. The Galaxy in Anaheim or the Inland Empire. I could see the Red Bulls playing their USL team at Yurcak Field in New Brunswick, where Rutgers soccer and NWSL squad Sky Blue FC play. Real Salt Lake could play in Ogden or Provo. Montreal in Quebec City. Etc, etc.

But I also could see MLS teams establishing USL Pro teams not in their market. Real Salt Lake has their academy in Arizona. Perhaps they would prefer to put (or affiliate with) a USL Pro team in Arizona. That would be nice for the academy prospects - the opportunity to turn pro and play for their home state team before being called up for their MLS team.

Plenty of other teams, while having their main academy in their home city, have affiliates in other markets. For instance, FC Dallas has one in El Paso, and the Houston Dynamo has one in Austin. Perhaps if they created USL Pro teams in those markets, it could better help recruiting and transitioning prospects in those cities to the senior team. It also might help create fans of the senior team in those markets - they go watch their local prospects play for their local USL Pro team who grow up to play for their major league side.

If all this sounds familiar, it should. Except for the academy model, it's pretty much how MLB runs minor league baseball. Given the geography of the US, I think it's a model that makes more sense than just pure reserve teams playing at home.

24. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Good explanation Pancake

25. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They played the Sounders Reserves match with Orlando City in Tacoma at the baseball stadium, and drew about 2,200 on short notice. The Tacoma Dome can be configured for soccer as well. If the Sounders decide to sponsor a USL Pro team of their own, they have quite a few good options.