2014 US Open Cup...

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by msilverstein47, Jun 17, 2013.

1. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All-time records for NPSL ...

7-28-6 (4-2 in PKs) since 2003

0-0-1 (1-0 in PKs) vs. USSSA
    1-2-0 vs. USASA
    6-11-3 (2-1 in PKs) vs. PDL
    0-15-0 vs. Div. 2 & 3 pro teams
    (Never played an MLS team)

2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #54 msilverstein47, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    blacksun repped this.
  5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sonoma County Sol win 2-0 over Real San Jose! Goals from Tyler Hurst and Taylor Varnadore. The Sol play next Saturday vs CD Aguiluchos (Oakland, CA) for the NPSL Golden Gate conference USOC qualifying championship. The game is at 7pm at Rancho Cotate High!

TheCup.us ‏@usopencup
    2014 qualifying (@NPSLSoccer SW semis):
    FC Force at @SDFlashSoccer
    &
    @FCSCprosoccer at @FCHasental
    Mar. 9 #USOC2014

6. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2014 US Open Cup qualifying: Sonoma County Sol, three other NPSL clubs, advance in qualifying
    Source: http://thecup.us/2014-us-open-cup-q...three-other-npsl-clubs-advance-in-qualifying/

2014 US Open Cup qualifying (NPSL)

GOLDEN GATE CONFERENCE
    First Round

Sacramento Gold 1:2 Sonoma County Sol
    Semifinals (Mar. 1)
    Real San Jose 0:2 Sonoma County Sol
    CD Aguiluchos USA 1:0 San Francisco Stompers

Final (March 8 – Win & You’re In)
    CD Aguiluchos USA at Sonoma County Sol

Rancho Cotate HS; Rohnert Park, Calif. – 7 p.m. PT

SOUTHWEST CONFERENCE
    First Round (March 1)

FC Force 5:2 Temecula FC
    Santa Clarita Storm 1:0 Del Ray City

Semifinals (Mar. 9)
    FC Force at San Diego Flash

Mira Mesa HS; San Diego, Calif. – 6:30 p.m.PTSC Storm at FC Hasental
    Thousand Oaks HS; Thousand Oaks, Calif. – 7 p.m. PT

Final (Mar. 15 – Win & You’re In)
    Site/Time TBD

NOTE: The 2014 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup format has not been officially announced by the US Soccer Federation yet, so this tournament is operating under the assumption that the number of teams awarded to the NPSL will not change from 2013.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  7. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    You forgot Northwest Conference qualifiers. Kick off this Saturday. To be honest there is little publicity about it locally and i cant see a big turnout for So Samba's first competitive game. I know Kenn would love to hear of another NPSL side with little crowds etc.

8. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, USASA and NPSL qualifiers alike get very little attention, from fans and media. We do what we can, but for most of these teams we have to beg them to get information from them, so it makes it very challenging. (Side note: We've got a brief Northwest Conference preview coming out tomorrow)

9. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    Due to pitch conditions in Hood River were bad so the Oregon NPSL Qualifier has been moved to Spartans in Portland.

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SO Samba FC‏@sosambafc1h
    Due to field conditions in the gorge, the USOC SO Samba vs. Spartans game has been moved to Buckman Field Park... http://fb.me/6KbhPHQSl

[​IMG]

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would it be confusing if there was a U.S. Open Cup game between Seattle Sounders FC and Seattle Sporting FC?

12. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Only if you are a moron.

13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Dynamo played the Dynamo in the 2006 Open Cup.

That was the first ever Open Cup game for the Houston Dynamo. The Carolina Dynamo had played previously.

14. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm starting to wonder if the Open Cup committee will do anything about these 'reserve' clubs entering the US Open Cup. In years past, it's been manageable because there's not THAT many of them, but it seems like there's more and more and you can't fix up the bracket to keep these teams apart when you have 4-5 teams (or more) who are affiliated with other pro teams. It seems tough to deny them entry into the tournament, but I can't think of another way to keep the tournament regional and keep affiliated teams apart at the same time.

15. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    As long as the rosters are separate, there should be no problem. With the amateur/lower divisions getting weeded out in the earlier rounds, it is not an issue.

What is the story with KC Athletics FC? If it is the same team that lost in the Region II qualifiers, they may not be eligible to enter with USSSA.

17. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no rules against it. Fresno Fuego didn't qualify via PDL, so they entered via US Club Soccer last year. Just like the Des Moines Menace. They're going to have a team (likely) from the PDL and USASA Region II in 2014.

I don't know if there's a way to regulate that. Unless you 'cup-tied' players in qualifying games, but that would require the different leagues to work together with player registration.

18. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it COULD be an issue. I'm thinking mostly about the regional draws. The goal is to minimize travel, so let's say, for instance that the Sounders MLS team, Sounders Sporting team and Sounders U23 all qualify, then you've got three teams all from that region who are affiliated, so since they can't play each other, someone's going to get sent South or East to play another team because there are no local teams to play. So USSF has to keep affiliated teams separate AND keep regional teams together. It seems like a big pain to have to juggle that.

And sure, they are separate rosters and seperate teams, but if a team is affiliated then it gives the appearance that there's something shady. It's unlikely that the MLS team is going to tell the lower division team to roll over, but the USSF (I would assume) doesn't even want the appearance of that.

What I've said for years is that they need to set up the bracket in advance so that the affiliated team (let's say a PDL team) wouldn't face their MLS partner until the Quarterfinals. Since we haven't had a PDL team reach the Quarterfinals, it's pretty unlikely that would happen. But in the case that it DOES happen (a couple of them have knocked on the door...), THEN rearrange the bracket if you have to.

I think setting the bracket in advance is an important tweak they could make so that teams would know who they would play in advance and can plan travel and market the tournament and the games (e.g. Send out press releases ... hey, if we win our first game and beat the winner of X and Y ... we'll play the Portland Timbers in Round 3). That's a good way to get the local media interested and to get fans interested.

19. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Mimicking Jim Mora ........

Brackets?

I'm still waiting to hear the format for the first two rounds. You know that this year we made some changes on the amateur side to give teams more time to prepare but I wish USSF would get their act done earlier. Brackets would make it easier for teams to plan out.

20. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    That's how protests get started. Sometimes the teams know their opponents better than the organizers. The team had to turn in a roster for Region II and those players may likely be considered cup tied.

21. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a World Cup year ... so don't get your hopes up.

What's on MY wish list is that EVERYONE follow the USASA's lead and set their qualification deadline at Dec. 31. Everyone should just use their previous league results to determine the following year's entries. You could decide all your entries by New Year's Eve and you could have the draw in January or February. It would give teams months to prepare/promote/make travel arrangements. Would make a big difference in the exposure for the tournament.

Falc repped this.
  22. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But 'cup tied' only applies for the tournament proper. You can, in theory, play for 2-3 different teams and help all three of them qualify, but then when the tournament starts, you have to pick one. We've had a handful of examples of that happening. A player played for a PDL team that qualified and also a USASA team. In the end, he had to choose.

23. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    That is the goal. I took some heat for pushing changes but we need to move in that direction.

24. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USSF held their annual meeting last week.

The minutes (which you can then download as a PDF): https://ussoccer.box.com/2014agmbook

The Open Cup section starts on page 47 of the PDF. A review of last year, followed by a few lines about 2014: "2014 Outlook: With the NASL and USL PRO both expanding their ranks for 2014, combined with the principle started in 2012 of having all Division I, II and III professional clubs participating in the tournament proper, 2014 is certain to have the largest field ever in the competition’s modern era (1995-present). Additionally, the competition schedule has been stretched out to eliminate games on consecutive mid-weeks, thus providing participating clubs more time before each round to market games, arrange travel more cost-efficiently, avoid fixture congestion and fatigue, and other benefits. We appreciate your continued support and we encourage all members of the U.S. Soccer family to attend the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup matches in their local areas."