2014 Superdraft

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by troutseth, Dec 10, 2013.

1. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    #1 troutseth, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    Well, it is never tooooooo early is it? Early looks at the draft prospects are starting to show themselves but they are all a bit "fake" until the GA list is announced within the week. Here is one now:

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/coll...-mls-draft-big-board:-nov-27-edition_aid32141

We should draft 16 or 17 this year. I think priority one would be getting a GA player regardless of position in order to secure the budget relief but that late in the draft - it is not a lock. If no GA is present I think we look for our Central Defender:

1) Option one is to sign Ibeagha via homegrown assume he wants to play in MLS at an MLS salary.
    2) Second option at defense would be Kyle Venter from New Mexico, but I doubt he is there for us. This is a pipe dream and requires a big GA class to go first.
    3) Option three might be looking at Kevin Cope from MSU. Pretty imposing central defender that played the Big 10 tourney with cracked ribs - our kinda guy.
    4) AJ Cochrane from Wisconsin. 6 foot three.

If we are able to sign Ibeagha, it allows us to take the best possible value at our draft position. It would be nice if that is GA, but it may not be depending on how many they put forth this year.

Why do I think we go central defender? Because including Ibeagha there are five to six first round talents at the position. From a forward perspective; not a lot of compelling talent that will last beyond the first ten picks and be sitting there in the 16 hole. It would not surprise me if our approach is sign Ibeagha then trade the pick if no GA is available, or if we cannot sign him target one of the two above.

Heft repped this.
  2. DNez2001

DNez2001 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston 'burb
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or trade up in the draft to get a GA pick like we did for Bruin, and throw in a reserve?

3. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Possible but teams covet allocation money for draft picks....unless you want to part with a integral player...and we don't have any. If we get Ibeagha to sign I think we are more likely to take in allocation and trade our spot.

4. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    ugh! least favorite time of year.

scouring youtube for poorly-lit, shot from too low of an angle ncaa highlights of raw, underdeveloped soccer talent.

txsn and Heft repped this.
  5. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    see . . i love everything you just said there (except the NCAA part).

6. crocken

crocken Member

Jan 28, 2011
    MD
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    do you think Ibeagha is signed its just in the queue of "off season news feed calendar" ?

7. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    no. not yet.

8. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Boswell going to DC just further reinforces my opinion that Center Back is the first and most important hole that will be filled this offseason. I know most people think is will be striker but to do that I think we will need to see a trade as Cummings and Bruin are still staying on the roster.

JC507 repped this.
  9. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I agree. A quality CB is the number one.

10. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why couldn't we get by with Taylor and Brunner?

11. shoeless

shoeless Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think that Brunner is serviceable, but if one the two above go down, then I would rather have another CB step in than move Rico back.

Edit: Or same thing if Kofi or Ashe go down, Taylor will probably take their spot.

12. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    This is why. We are now very thin with Boswell and Chabala gone. Taylor is our CB. He is also the preferred option out wide should Ashe go down. We need a starting quality, or someone to grow into that role quickly on the team. Whether Brunner or a new guy starts is up to Dom but we need someone at that level.

Heft repped this.
  13. crocken

crocken Member

Jan 28, 2011
    MD
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Are the ppl in this draft better than Anthony Arena?

14. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CB will be coming in. Whether it's a draft or trade or signing is yet to be determined.

15. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    On film? yes. In fact this is sorta the year of the CB in the draft. Counting Ibeagha you have up to four first round picks at the position (depending on how the draft goes).

16. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Get Wall and Sebastian I. as homegrown players.
    Draft additional defenders when possible in draft
    Take Chris Rolfe in Part 2 of re-entry draft

F: Rolfe, Bruin, Cummings, J. Johnson, Salazar --- maybe Carr
    MF: Clark, Davis, OBG, Creavalle, Ownby, Carrasco, Lopez, draft pick
    D: Ashe, Sarkodie, Taylor, Brunner, Sebastian I, draft pick, Arena
    GK: Hall, Deric, Wall

Loan Salazar, Arena, and draft picks to PITT.

Simple off-season is simple.

Rolfe + Barnes + J. Johnson gives you some additional cover in midfield which also can work to free up Crevalle and Clark to fill in defense if needed.

El Naranja and Heft repped this.
  17. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Rolfe is still speedy and can finish when he has time on the ball

18. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bad idea but it should be noted that Ibeghea won't be cheap, if he's willing to come to MLS at all. And if people thought Will was frustrating last year, just wait until Chris joins the team. He has issues of his own. As for the loanee's to the Riverhounds, I would not be so quick to send Anthony down there. We're a bad tackle away from being paper-thin at CB. Sebastian, for all his talent, is still an unproven kid. I like to think he has all the tools to be a great defender in MLS, but who knows for certain? At least with Anthony we know he can fill in if need be.

As for moving Rico/Warren to the defense if need be, I'd rather that be an emergency option only. Warren needs to stay at DM and continue learning the spot, not end up like Cameron and be a master at nothing.

Soccergodlss and troutseth repped this.