2014 Super Draft

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by shawn12011, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my thought too. If Dean/Birnbaum/Mullins are close to equal you have to go with the younger and cheaper option.

2. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This kind of thinking might have served United well before the Parke-White deal.

bigredfutbol, Murr and Boloni86 repped this.
  3. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While funny, I'm not sure that's relevant to this situation since my premise was that all three options are relatively equal. No one could argue that White is as good as Parke. It isn't particularly close actually. That doesn't mean I like the deal, but its not like we didn't upgrade at CB.

4. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Reports from the combine said he was getting burned at the LB position.

5. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm unfamiliar with Parke, but most signs point out that he is a huge upgrade over White. The negative is the years of available service he can provide.

The few notes I've picked up from Ives and the FO in articles is that they seem to be focused on either Mullins or Birnbaum as they don't rate Dean as high(Ives) and the FO has evaluated these players over a long time span. Given that we now have two expensive CB's and are out of the running for Pappa, Mullins might be that pick.

6. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll respectfully disagree. The gap is not great, imo. I guess we'll find out next season.

7. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm praying you're wrong. I was already pissed that we traded for Parke. Drafting Mullins to be our 4th or 5th forward would probably put me over the edge.

8. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    He also has played left mid. I'm not sure who we have/will have that can cover for Pontius when he's injuried this season.

9. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I would think it will be Mullins as well. While Birnbaum and Dean seem to be considered quality, finding an offensive threat in the college draft is rare. I think it's "easier" to develop defenders, see: Boswell (former forward), Albright (former forward), McDonald (former forward), Burch (former forward), Namoff (former AM) than develop offensive skill. The interesting pick would be Tschuma instead of Mullins, but I don't think Kasper has gonads big enough to go that route.

10. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    He has that scoring touch that I just haven't seen coming out of the college ranks in years. Hard to pass up. Tschuma would be ok if they traded down.

11. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    If developing defenders wad so easy, our defense wouldn't be the mess that it is, since Ryan Nelson left.

I don't see the point in drafting a 22 year old non GA player, with a higher salary than typical rookies, just for him to be 3rd choice for a team that plays with 1 striker most of the time.

I think that if Silva is going, then there's room for Newman (sorry for the Jewish spelling).

Is there a forward like Mullins, or of similar sttle in MLS ..Right now?

Besides, we won't be able create enough chances for him.

12. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ryan wasn't even drafted as a defender :)

Will Bruin maybe? Doesn't look that dangerous, then creates a chance for himself and ... it's in the net, as they say .... of course, he plays his best when going against United ....... so if we pass on him, that's who he'll likely be like anyway ;)

As shallow as this draft is, it's a very tough decision about who to take with the #1 pick ...... Mullins, Birnbaum, Dean, or Tschuma - all good picks for at least one reason, all with a downside.

13. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United should be drafting a player at the level of Kitchen, Pontius or DeLeon. None of them were number one, but all top ten and all contributed right away. That's what I'm looking for here.

14. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    True.

Mullins, just doesn't seem like a smart pick for us. We are poor offensively. We don't create enough chances. We don't attack often enough, always being on the back foot.

I may be wrong, but when I hear upside, I immediately think of Nik Besagno and Omar Salgado. Then I also wonder which is the last young player Dc developed into a very good player. This is why ill pass on Dean. Only read about him, they love him because he's atletic and has a decent left.

Are we supposed to teach him intangibles of defending?

Boloni86 repped this.
  15. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dean is the one that makes me the most nervous also, but I'll concede I have no idea what kind of player he is, just haven't seen him. Your first paragraph is confusing. We are poor offensively, so don't pick the Hermann award winning attacker? I don't understand.

16. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    The Hermann winner has no bearings om success.

Aside from that, the Herman winner needs to be created for, more so than Johnson whose pace and leap will helo out.

Theres no place for a taylor twelman on our roster. He'd struggle infront our mids

If he's more Noonan, who was good at dribbling amd linking midfield to attack, then yeah maybe.

17. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Its just the physical edge. Successful MLS strikers are dynamic, or athletic or technically superior. Only wondoloski. I don't think we could serve hom either

18. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you, benni. Saying we are poor offensively means United should draft a defender, or an attacker that isn't Mullins? I guess I don't know what you think the move is here.

19. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    There's a chance Mullins could be successful as a cultured firward, like Ante Razov, but I just don't have confidence in our set up.

20. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spend some money on a mfing midfielder!

ElApacheTevez repped this.
  21. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Draft birnabuam (sp)

DCUSA repped this.
  22. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What money? Isn't that where we're at now?

23. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or draft one. Ribeiro is looking promising.

Can you blow cap space on roulette and whores? Does it convert to Bitcoin?

Someone here needs to ask the serious questions.:D

24. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what they say. :confused:

25. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I like the idea of a 6'4 central midfielder who can create and score. I don't think our FO would like that he'd count as an international.