2014 Super Draft

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by shawn12011, Jan 9, 2014.

1. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I think our #2 ready to go right now.

NASI GORENG repped this.
  2. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Unless you know something about Hamid or Willis going somewhere this year, there's no reason to take another goalie. Not worth the pick given how many holes we need to fill.

NASI GORENG and Real Mobile repped this.
  3. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anyone refer me to any decent coverage (with player breakdown/opinions) of the Combine? I used to follow @JoeSoccerFan 's and/or Top Drawer Soccer, but both are highly disappointing to me this year so far :D

JoeSoccerFan, Real Mobile and DCUSA repped this.
  4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Birnbaum is now signed with MLS, let the speculation go into overdrive

5. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've been reading Dean and Birnbaum both have positives and negatives. Dean had a rough first day at LB and is more raw. Birnbaum had some kind of injury that kept him out. He's also a bit older (which I suppose could be viewed as a positive or negative, probably mostly negative in the long term and more positive in the short term).
    Mullins is also probably not quite good enough for the #1 pick and not as much of a position of need for us.

6. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what a horse's head in a guy's bed will do for you.

Next...

fatbastard repped this.
  7. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, not that kind of speculation...

8. fischy

fischy Member

Aug 27, 2006
    #33 fischy, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    Birnbaum got hit in the mouth and it wouldn't stop bleeding.

I suppose this could happen again. Maybe he should be tested for clotting factor. Otherwise, I think we can disregard this.

On the other hand, he has a history of actual injuries that should be considered.

Mullins has been the best player in college for the last 2 years. Not good enough to be the first pick? I don't understand that sentiment. As for need? Unless they sign Espindola, Mullins would fill a most desperate need, as the only pure strikers we have that don't belong in Richmond are Johnson and Doyle. In 2013, our returning incumbent strikers tallied a grand total of...2 goals and one assist, or 7 goals and 6 assists, if you toss Silva and Pontius into the mix -- that doesn't include Johnson or Espindola, of course, but since one will miss time with the USMNT and the other isn't even signed...?.

NASI GORENG repped this.
  9. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree on Birnbaum.

Johnson, Doyle, Townsend, Seaton, Espindola, Pontius, Silva. By my count that's 5 guys ready to step in and compete for 2 slots, and 2 guys for the future.

Korb, Kemp, Boswell, Shanosky, Attakora, White, Franklin, Robinson. Again, 5 guys who are game day quality, but competing for 4 slots, and 3 guys for the future. We need much better quality competition in this area of the field.

I think, all things being equal, we take Birnbaum. But, like you, I'm not sure all things are equal.;)

Mullins has done enough to merit the #1 pick, regardless of the speculation about his best position. In a 433, probably on the outside, right? In a 442, probably underneath? I haven't seen too much of him, but from my limited observation, he's got smarts, vision, hold up play and seems to know where the corners are. He doesn't have over the top speed or a center's instinct for the head ball - which makes him Doyle's twin, at the NCAA level. Doyle's not a projected first teamer for me unless possibly in a 433. In 3 years, he's a good investment, and a natural fit, but he probably will only figure into this season peripherally. And in 3 years, he'll still be Doyle's twin - but perhaps the better twin. If he were more of a Johnson-type forward, he'd be more attractive. On the other other hand, those Hermann trophies are really shiny and he has a good reference.:notworthy:

Birnbaum has proven himself at a position that requires vocal leadership, and a spot at which we'll need someone in 2 years. He'd develop this year under Boswell's tutelage, and probably play quite a bit, given our needs and his purported maturity. He meets both short- and long-term needs.

If we could acquire them both, I would, but if we can only have one, I'd probably still pick Birnbaum.

NASI GORENG repped this.
  10. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we gotta find a way to trade with Vancouver.

shawn12011 repped this.
  11. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bad idea if we're conflicted, but what could we get from them?

12. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the easy part: two first round picks. The question is, what do we throw in with the #1 pick.

13. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olsen/Kasper?

James

Oveki8, sitruc, Boloni86 and 2 others repped this.
  14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they actually want someone, nothing.

Oveki8 repped this.
  15. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there was someway to get both Birnbaum and Tschuma, I'd be thrilled. I think Tschuma's upside is greater than almost all other offensive players in the draft. Plus, his GA deal means he wont count against the cap.

16. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless someone is Townsend or Shanosky, or more realistically, Joe Willis or Andrew Dykstra.

I'd like to keep the GK corps we have intact, but it might be worth fracturing it for this, as long as we know Bill will stick around.

17. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I think Vancouver wants the UConn GK Blake. With the trade for NE to get the #4 pick - NE now become a threat to Vancouver for trading up.

#1 DCU and #2 Philly both don't need GK. But NE could spoil Vancouver's plan by trading up ahead of them. The risk for Vancouver if they traded with Philly, NE could trade up in front of them.

Who wants Blake more, NE or Van? That's the DCU play.

============================================================

Mullins has talent and has justifiably earned his 2 Hermann trophy's. But this doesn't mean that he projects to be the best player in this draft and get selected #1. In the old story, what have you done for me lately.

My opinion is that you should take the best player available regardless of position (though I usually don't take GK into consideration, because a team can only play 1 on the field). Then, if 2 or more players are of equivalent value, take the player in a position of need factoring in salary cap considerations.

This year, there is no clear best player available. If DCU can't trade down and the DCU med staff (oh, good gawd) gives him a clean bill of health, I'd choose Birnbaum.

Real Mobile, John L and shawn12011 repped this.
  18. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Fully agree. MLS and Ives are both down there. I just call friends that are there live.

19. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Per soccerbyIves' mock draft board:
    NE now owns the Number 4, 12 and 19 picks in the first round
    Vancouver with number 3 and 7.
    Philly with number 2 and 6.

I wouldn't mind trading with Vancouver or Philly, but would want a player and NE's number 4 pick.

Thursday can't get here soon enough.

20. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Can those going to the draft please boo Dave Kasper loudly?

flanier and Winoman repped this.
  21. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Has DK traded away the #1 pick yet?

Boloni86 repped this.
  22. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's early in the day yet.

Oveki8 repped this.
  23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Why would he do that when he could give it away?

Boloni86, shawn12011, song219 and 5 others repped this.
  24. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Kasper says we are strapped for cash, maybe this means we draft Christian Dean, who is a GA and costs nothing. He could play LB and be CB-in-waiting until Boswell/Parke need walkers.

25. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I wish he would give it to Philly if they promise to take Parke back