2014 Soccer, but not Rapids Related- NRR

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Mar 17, 2014.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recent tweets from Fleming has led me to believe he's a big fan of coaches, less so of fans and players who critique coaches.

2. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I heard that seems to make sense is has used a different starting XI every game since he became coach. PLayers after Algarve losses started complaining about it (Chemistry issue), although some of it could be from Vet's playing style not fitting new possession style.

Sunday's game really showed little player chemistry until end when Repinoe came on. Think "DM" Morgan Brian really distributed well for someone still in college.

3. murphyskicks

murphyskicks Member

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Ipswich Town are sitting one slot off the promotion playoffs with 4 to go in the English Championship. I am going to be so ecstatic if they have a chance at making the premier league next year!!!

Stuart95 repped this.
  4. kucsdat

kucsdat Member

Jul 12, 2012
  5. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Sometimes a team does so poorly these sorts of decisions are inevitable. (Oscar excepted.) I'm disappointed in Moyes. He seemed a pretty good manager at Everton. Reactive tactically yes, but he always had them ready to play and players bought in. Maybe the leap to a top club, esp. in the transition year after Fergie reached legendary/mythical status, was just too much. Perhaps the next guy after Fergie was always going to be "transitional man" and never really in a position to succeed.

I hope Klopp sticks to his word:

COMtnGuy repped this.
  6. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw something on ESPN FC that BVB will deny any permission for them to talk... Where have we heard that before? ;)

Anyways, Klopp is basically a legend at BVB and I would be greatly surprised if he left for MU.

7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting look at playoff history, read second paragraph on why this history may not apply in 2014.

Since 2011, the year the playoff Knockout Round was introduced, only two of 30 teams that qualified for the postseason did so with less than eight points in their first seven games. Those teams are the 2013 Seattle Sounders (six points after seven games) and the 2011 Sporting Kansas City side (four points after seven games). Sporting are a bit of an exception to the rule after starting the season on a record road swing while they awaited the opening of Sporting Park.

So should the stragglers in 2014 be worried? Not necessarily.

With all the draws this year, especially in the Eastern Conference, point totals across the board are on pace to be lower than previous years. In fact, 40 percent of matches thus far in 2014 have ended in ties, compared to 29 percent after seven weekends in 2013, 14 percent after the same point in 2012 and 30 percent in 2011.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...-five-mls-teams-should-be-worried-about-missi

Rod1916 repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though its already starting to look like haves and have-nots in the West. Caveats about schedule strength and small sample sizes apply, but right now Portland, SJ, and Chivas are already a full point per game behind FSL, Dallas, Seattle, and us. Vancouver and LA are kind of floating in the middle a bit but LA isn't that far off the pace.

9. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Sure do like being talked about in the upper group!

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  10. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #60 m vann, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...rting-goods-park-young-goalkeeper-motivates-h

Ernesto Galvan, a GK, who lives and plays (Adams City HS) down the road from DSGP has been chosen as 1 of 6 finalists, for Sueno MLS and is headed to LA for a chance to win an academy deal with one of the 3 MLS host clubs. This year the Rapids, RBNY, and the Galaxy are the host clubs. Each club has sent 6 players (5 field plyers + 1 GK) to the Finals.

Edit:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ix-players-chosen-colorado-tryouts-compete-la

Denver resident, Jesus Arredondo, a MF, will also be headed to LA.

jayd8888 and JasonMa repped this.
  11. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Nice. I think that's the second straight GK from Adams City to go to the finals.

I still wonder whatever happened to the Adams City striker Daniel Devora. He was a senior last year, missed much of the season (eligibility? He wasn't listed on the team's roster for much of the season). He spent a year in the Rapids academy but not his senior year

12. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they still offer a HG contract to "winner"? Seeing as 3 clubs are in this are thier 3 Winners?

13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, that's left up to the "winning" club. I believe the only guarantee is an invitation to join their academy.

22SteveD repped this.
  14. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Would have thought we might hear about any decisions from the DISCO for last weeks games, but, I haven't seen or heard anything yet. Anyone catch anything yet?

15. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Directv HD w/DVR - +/- $50/month
    Sports Pack - $15/month
    MLS Direct Kick - $??? (didn't get it)
    Searching channels for replays of MLS matches - tedious
    Watching the the replay of KC v. NE and seeing the expression on Collin's face when he gets a red card - PRICELESS!

Stuart95 repped this.
  16. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Just peeked at Chivas's lineup from their last game and Rivero made the bench. Very curious to see him get some minutes and hopefully help the goats look a little better.

17. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From MLS Soccer: Think this was discussed before about Seattle Seahawks/ Sounders business tie-up.

SOUNDERS INDEPENDENCE

The Seattle Sounders today become independent of the NFL's Seattle Seahawks, business-wise, at least. It looks to be an interesting time ahead for the club, according to GM Adrian Hanauer, who provided updates on the need to create cap space for a potential summer signing and the formation of their own USL PRO club.
    http://blogs.seattletimes.com/sound...nauer-on-the-seahawks-split-usl-pro-and-more/

18. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Arms race, (NYRB & soon NYFC - USA, Toronto - Russia, Seattle - China, LAG - LA/Cali) are we Switzerland, or maybe the Sandwich Islands?

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Sandwich Islands would put us in position to be taken over by NYRB and NYCFC, I don't see that happening. With our mountains we're probably Austria. And hey, we even have Piermayr!

~F8~ repped this.
  20. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With US hosting this "Copa America" tourney in 2016, anyone think Denver will be a host city?

"The event will take place from June 3 to June 26, 2016, coinciding with the Euro '16 tournament across the Atlantic, giving American soccer fans a chance to see top-level European talent play during the day and watch top-level teams from our side of the globe at night. And when I say watch, I mean actually watch in person."

22SteveD and Jimmydinho repped this.
  21. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really hoping:
    A) FIFA recognizes this as something legit and lends its authorization or this will just be B or C teams playing friendlies, yawn.
    B) & if so, then Denver gets a couple good group games and not a Trinidad & Tobago vs Jamaica 1rst round game.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd go see T&T vs. Jamaica. Though I doubt both those teams will be in (6 CONCACAF teams, so U.S., Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, and a Caribbean team would be my guess).

23. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that you were really asking, but I pay about $80 for Direct Kick for the season. I might get a discount for being a renewal, but I don't know. It's a great deal, especially when compared to the NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL equivalent.

24. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jimmydinho, Stuart95 and COMtnGuy repped this.