2014 Soccer, but not Rapids Related- NRR

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Mar 17, 2014.

1. _Ace_

_Ace_ Member

Aug 22, 2006
    I wish it was Colo.
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So this summer Aresnal is playing its first game in the U.S. since 1989, and it's against New York. I understand the Thierry Henry connection, but since we have the same owner it would have been nice for Aresnal to play a game against the Rapids as well.

JasonMa repped this.
  2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Link for the NYRB-Arsenal story.

London-NYC seems a lot easier than London-NYC-Denver. I'm glad for Arsenal they don't do stuff on the owner's whims. It would be great for them to come, but I'm mixed on it. I didn't buy tickets for the Man United-Roma match. Expensive, a friendly, plus I have to think players will be missing due to getting a rest period after the World Cup.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a bit of a backhand to the Rapids and their "Arsenal" connection though. I don't really care if we play them or not, but its a bit of a joke that Arsenal comes to the U.S. and doesn't play their partner and shared owner team.

Stuart95 and MrPerfectNot repped this.
  4. _Ace_

_Ace_ Member

Aug 22, 2006
    I wish it was Colo.
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

5. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I guess. Based on past history, why should we expect anything from the connection?

Soaker888 repped this.
  6. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    meh, its a cash grab and to boot, 13 days after WC finishes and only a few weeks before EPL starts, so rest the players. Come kick-about with second string and hug Titi, get a look at ol USofA and come back next pre-season with a stop in Denver.

If that happens I'm not mad.

22SteveD repped this.
  7. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah tons of soccer this year to satisfy all of us. I agree with Jimmy on next year makes it alright.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    22SteveD repped this.
  9. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprised, somehow still not bothered given history. Seems like a pipe dream for Rapid fans that Arsenal will ever play here.

10. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Dammit! Is FC Dallas actually good?

11. jimijam28

jimijam28 Member+

Nov 9, 2010
    Denver area
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didnt dallas start fast last season. they will come back too earth soon.

12. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mauro Diaz was a great, young pick-up for them last year.

13. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    They did. I think there was some sort of "record" in it, something about the latest in the season holding 1st place in the supporters' shield standings without making the playoffs.

Mauro Diaz is getting rave reviews. I've not seen them play yet, though.

14. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    IMO they are better, more well rounded than last year. I think they may have a shot at a good run in play-offs. I don't expect them to falter later in the season. And I don't think OP is the main reason, they have better players with the team now.

15. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone that has followed the league for enough years will know that the first 1-2 months of the season very rarely paint an accurate picture of how the season will finish. We have played New York, Portland, and Kansas City, all of whom are off to a slow start...but I don't think there is anyone out there that expects any of those teams to finish outside of a playoff spot.

Stuart95 repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sold on Portland as a playoff team yet. The West is tough.

17. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? They were the best team in the West last year, while playing some of the best soccer out of any team in the league, and they didn't make any terribly significant roster changes...but you're not convinced based off only four competitive matches in 2014?

It's too early to be making any kind of conclusion on teams. Dallas and Columbus will lose games and fall back into the pack. New York and LA will win games and climb back into contention. The Rapids will score goals that don't come from the penalty spot. The table positions six weeks from now will look a lot different than they do currently.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure Portland didn't combine a couple of career years from players last year to greatly over-achieve their apparent talent level, and this year they may be regressing to the mean. Its too early to rule them out, but I also think its too soon to slot them into a playoff spot.

19. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. Also (or along those lines, as you like). Ricketts had a solid 2013, which helped Portland look better defensively than they really were.

20. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are worse things than dropped points to SKC: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-26829031

The entire board of Uruguay's Football Association has resigned amid a crisis over violence at football games. The board said it had taken the decision to "allow other political views to govern our football". Last week, President Jose Mujica withdrew police protection from the home stadiums of Penarol and Nacional, Uruguay's most popular teams, following post-match violence.

21. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    FREE TIBET -- (when you buy one Tibet at regular price).

22. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Holy cow, the USWNT just fired Sermanni.

Crowd was pretty quiet out there at the park today--huge difference from the last time the team was here. They created eleventy gazillion shots against an overmatched China team, but only scored one goal in each half.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  23. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pia coached her last game here. Now Sermanni? I imagine all future USWNT coaches will be trying to write a "No Games at DSGP" clause into their contract.

Jimmydinho, Totoro, GreatGonzo and 2 others repped this.
  24. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    "Hey, why does this cake say 'Happy Retirement Tom'?"

25. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Didn't realize Richard Fleming chimed in last night:

453021328736407552 is not a valid tweet id