2014 Season Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by MLSinCleveland, Mar 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    In any event, we have cap space to add another DP. We could even add 2 at midseason. That's not to say that PSV wants to pick up the off-cap pay of a player but we certainly have options for offensive upgrades.

2. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    FYI, you need to update the base/guaranteed column headings to 2014.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  3. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Ryan Finley being guaranteed 78k is dumb as well.

4. odave

odave Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Well, he does seem to be going for this year's whiny little b!tch award...

CybrSlydr repped this.
  5. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! Repped!

6. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who else sees us splash a bunch of money at Napoli to reunite the Brothers Higuain and take over the league? ;-)

CybrSlydr, davidc707 and the_rickler repped this.
  7. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    The Eyetalian Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't bother me as much as it would if we were not in first place. Money hasn't seemed to help teams like NYRB that much. And it means there is money to spend in the summer window, when better players may be had. BTW, this appears to be *last* years numbers as both Furth and Dusseldorf (since relegated) are on the list representing the Bundesliga.

What I found interesting is the simiarities to the SPL (Scotland). I think a fair stament could now be made that we are at that level as a league. And that's not bad company--and a lot beeter than where we started.

9. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    The Eyetalian Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Agreed on the SPL.

It notes at the top which year the numbers come from. MLS is from 2014, Bundesliga is from 2012-2013, most others are from '13.

10. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    It is interesting that the MLS teams are right in line with the SPL.

As a league I'm not sure it's a fair comparison since Celtic is 100+ spots higher, and when Rangers get back to the SPL they will have two teams pushing the top 150. Toronto, LA, and Seattle are the highest payrolls in MLS and they are a quarter of what Celtic and Rangers will be paying in a couple of years.

11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they were always outliers. But the fact that you can even make this comparison and not be laughed off the stage shows how far this league has come. And it's still not clear if Rangers will be back in the same way as before or if Celtic and Rangers can keep it up without the same thing happening again to one of them.

12. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Well, when Rangers get back to the SPL in a few years they will be spending the same they always did. They may be smarter about it, but they have the market, brand, and fanbase to afford to.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised MLS is only on the level of the non Old Firm SPL. That still seems pretty low level to me. Even as an SPL fan I don't consider that to be very "big league" status.

They've certainly come a long way, but it also makes me think they've got a long way to go.

13. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Now that we've obtained the SPL level, the next accomplishment is to get on par with Australian Football League numbers. After that we'll be approaching the bottom of La Liga which will really feel like an accomplishment.

14. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  15. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cam5fc repped this.
  16. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ha, I meant 4-24.

17. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, since we all agree we pretty much suck on offense...

Is there any speculation on who we might pick up in the summer window? 9 July is when it opens.

18. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    ;)

19. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I would not be surprised if we focused on europe over south america. I wonder if we have missed the opportunity on signing another returning USMNT players - or if that trend will continue post-WC

20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Such as?? Who is out there at this time that might be wanting to come back? I really have no idea. My guess is that a good performance at the World Cup with have the scales tipping the other way (US players heading out). And a US player of decent caliber might want a Dempsey-like contract, which I do not think we will give.

21. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Take your pick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_men's_national_soccer_team

Look in the recent call ups section and then select a player that has a non-US flag next to the team name they are currently at. There are quite a few in the MF and FW categories.

Before you get your panties in a bunch, my question was, I wonder if the trend will continue of USMNT players coming back to the US to play.

22. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see...
    US guys who could come to MLS after the World Cup (who the Crew could be interested in):
    1. Jermaine Jones just recently moved to Besiktas, but he has expressed interest in playing in MLS. At 32, he has a few more years left in the tank, though he may be at Besiktas for a bit before reconsidering MLS, at which point it wouldn't really be worth bringing him in.

2. Jozy Altidore/Terrence Boyd are both too young and have too much potential to really be interested in MLS. Boyd would probably be the more likely as he has to look for a bigger challenge than he is getting in Austria, but that'll likely come elsewhere in Europe as opposed to in MLS. For all the "Jozy has to come back to MLS because he sucks at Sunderland" talk, I don't see any way Jozy returns. He'd demand quite a hefty salary to make it worthwhile and while I expect a change of scenery for him, he still has 53 goals in the last 3 seasons (despite only netting 2 this season) and there are going to be Euro teams who want him.

3. Jonathan Spector isn't in the WC picture, but he turned 28 in March and although he has played his whole career in England, I could see him ending up in MLS. He is versatile enough to help teams in multiple positions (similar to Parkhurst), though there hasn't been any real sign he is looking to play in MLS.

4. Herculez Gomez has been doing ok in Mexico, but I could see him seeking a move to MLS. Not the most talented striker, but he could do alright. Probably would be too expensive for his value.

US guys who could come to MLS after the World Cup (who the Crew shouldn't be interested in):

1. Beasley could come back. He is 31, but he has settled in Mexico and 1 year ago he said he couldn't see himself back in MLS. But that was before a few of the bigger signings and he could end up playing the twilight of his career here. Don't see why the Crew would be interested in him though.

2. Onyewu could end up in MLS. He is about to turn 32 and has shown well for Sheffield Wednesday lately, but like Beasley he could want to end his career here. No reason for the Crew to be interested in an injury-prone, aging center back.

3. Brek Shea hasn't had a great time in England. Injuries, failed loan spells.... he obviously has loads of potential, but that hasn't translated whatsoever. Can't see him coming back to MLS as there are probably a few Euro clubs who would take a gamble on him if Stoke doesn't want to be bothered anymore.

Draghignazzo and CybrSlydr repped this.
  23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it was a serious question on my part. I just don't think there are many out there who would want to come back. Heck, I thought Cherundolo might want to finish at Portland--but it looks like he'll be staying in Hannover (which I can quite understand--it's a really nice city, very green and not too crowded but big enough to have a lot going on). I think the trend will be eastward for a while.

Maybe a Matt Taylor--but as a third division guy, I'm not sure he's good enough for MLS. We have not had good luck in the past with those. But he can score. Jones is another thought, but I really don't like him that much. Too dirty for me.

24. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet Brek Shea quits soccer within 3 years to concentrate on his art. I follow him on Instagram and all he does is post photos of his paintings and sneakers.

25. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Little known fact...Matt Taylor was born in Columbus but raised in CA. He has lots of aunts, uncles & cousins in the area. I have often thought he might try to return to MLS and maybeeven Columbus but frankly I think he is making far more money in BL II & III than he would make in MLS (something is still wrong with that fact). Especially since he is starting to get up in age. If he we 23 or 24 I could see it. He is also a very streaky scorer. He will pop 3 in a game and couple more over next couple of games and then nothing for run of 4-5.

I also think he may still have some distaste for MLS from the experience of being the #4 overall pick (making like $30k at the time) to just few years later the way he was left exposed by KC and moved to Chivas in expansion draft - who wouldn't have hated being @ chivas (other than being coser to home). Then he helps Portland move along in US Open Cup but doesn't stick for move up to MLS. Ended up playing with Klinsi with semi pro LA team in US open cup run before he headed to Australia trialing and finally landing Germany - making really good $$. I think he ends career in Germany - a least I think that's what I would do if I were him.