2014 Roster News/Speculation

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Clint Eastwood, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And with SH gone, Span might even get a chance to play!

FlashMan and burning247 repped this.
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Am I wrong in thinking that with the Span addition we currently have 28 slots on our 30-man roster spoken for?
    [If we assume Luccin.]

To me that means its unlikely we sign Okwuono or Ambrose as homegrowns. We'll have our drafted players, and that'll finish off the roster. Looks to me like we could still use some help in the central part of midfield. Marlon Hairston would fit well........................

3. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    The videos show a nose for the goal striker with pace. Pretty telling that not one video shows him crossing a ball. We still are shopping for important pieces. However, this kid looks good.

4. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Jeeezzzz....... the rumor is Michael Bradley to Toronto. What a perfect fit he would have been here. I do realize he is way more expensive than what we have in our plan. But, what a perfect fit he would have been here. And, why send an American star to Toronto? Wouldn't MLS get more bang for their buck if he played in the US?

5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly every team had a shot at him but the Toronto bid $10 million and no one else would go that high. I love Bradley but that is way over paying considering a $5 mil salary too. Of course it is other peoples money so I would be ok with it if the Hunts were.

6. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, with Bradley at TFC that means they will have 4 DP's. Defoe, Gilberto, Bradley and Laba. The rumor is either they rework Laba's contract, or sell/trade him. With talk of us using all three DP slots, I would be okay with trading for Laba. He's a damn good dmid and young.

7. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wasn't sure where to post this, but here's the latest Season Ticket holder email, I can try and post these as they come along this year for those who haven't taken the plunge.

[​IMG]

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Does this reek like FCD to anybody else here?

Taylor Twellman ‏@TaylorTwellman 10h
    Hearing Maurice Edu and @MLS in negotiations for his return. For the right team this could be a good move for both him and @MLS.

To me FCD has a glaring hole on their roster, and its in the center of midfield. Edu would fit nicely indeed. I'm no capologist, but it would seem to me after the Ferreira salary dump....................we should have some salary cap money available.

9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not. Supposedly SKC, Philly and Columbus were also bidders on Bradley so I would guess they would be interested in Edu also. Sounds like the market for National team and former Nats is over heated right now. I'm all for bring them back but in a salary cap world you have to be smart. Depending on where the bidding for Edu is the team might have to pass knowing they could find a similar gut at much less. I've heard good things about the young defensive mid Toronto is going to have to move (too many DP's) but don't know enough to know if I'd want him as a DP.

10. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You know what would be awesome? If we just woke up tomorrow and they're like, "surprise! Essien is coming!"

SeventhRowScreamer repped this.
  11. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
  12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He does mention Shea. Would Shea be willing to move back to Dallas now that SH is gone and OP is here? Is he wortrh bringing back as a DP? We tried getting the band back together last year with Cooper and that didn't work so well though it wasn't all his fault. Bringing players back has worked for other teams.

13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Might work out but who knows with Shea's random attitude. I would think he wouldn't be up for it unless he's not even playing for Barnsley, in which case he would probably do anything to get on Klinnsman's radar but I wouldn't pay him DP money if he's not starting with a bottom feeder Championship club.

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of agree but for the reason that he wouldn't really want to come back yet and only to make WC squad. After that he probably try and return to Europe. Who knows though, perhaps he's already tired of the experiment and he really liked OP.

15. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Personally, I wouldn't want Shea back even if he wasn't coming as a DP. I think he is an example of a young guy who let the quick fame, and then money that came, go to his head and decided he had made it. He acted out, stopped developing his game, and then forced a move to Europe where he has rotted on the bench. I don't think you are gonna see the kid who carried Dallas a few years ago again, you are gonna see a guy who doesn't understand why he isn't start for the Nats.

theodore and burning247 repped this.
  16. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pretty much my take on Shea too, well put.

17. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see it that way. He's more of a Eddie Johnson story waiting to happen. He'll struggle with attitude until reality beats the crap out of him and then he'll harness his abilities for his veteran years.

18. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So you're saying he's still 5 or so years away from not acting a fool?

19. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999

Pretty sure Brek burned the bridge with most of the team in the way he treated everyone after he was sold to Stoke.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And our current starter on the left wing is whom?

Not better than Shea. Certainly not better than 2011 Brek Shea. [Although at this point some could say the 2011 Brek Shea has been the aberration.] Of course I'm not in the locker room. Shea did seem to be a pain-in-the-ass hothead at times.

A lot of question marks on the wings for me with Jackson now gone too (And of Chavez the year before that who provided a lot of pace bombing up the wing. Of course the problem was what he did with the ball after he bombed up the wing.) Presumably if we play a 4-3-3 type of formation (or 4-2-3-1, etc.) then Fabian Castillo plays that spot. I guess. He's still a question mark for me. As are other potential wing players on this roster like Hollingshead, Garcia, Span, etc.

Let's face it, our 30-man roster is almost complete...........................and there are still a lot of holes/question marks. At forward I have confidence in a healthy Blas Perez, and everybody else is a question mark. In the center of midfield, what are we doing? Is Luccin going to stick around, and is he the guy we're counting on for a "Daniel Hernandez-like" role? Is it Moffat, who the league seems to pass around like an STD? I have questions still on the wings as I've said. I have concerns about left back, as I have no clue why Jair Benitez was re-signed.

I just see a lot of "maybes" and "ifs" on the roster. We're definitely in a transition year. We've come out of the "David Ferreira window" and are somewhat looking for an identity.

FlashMan repped this.
  21. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kris Tyrpak is a left-footed winger who won't go too early in the draft (the MLS pundits have him going late in the second round, most likely to Houston where he's trained before). He's been a league leader in the PDL the last couple of years, and I hope we've taken a good look at him lest we let another good Texas talent (*cough*LeeNguyen) get away.

22. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just thought I'd point out that apart from Landycakes, this can be and often is said about virtually every winger/striker with pace in all of MLS. It's WHY they're in MLS. :)

FlashMan repped this.
  23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you able to comment on this? may explain why he's not getting time in England also.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Of course as far as I can tell we have about 28 players currently on our roster (if Luccin is re-signed). So there are going to be VERY few roster slots for drafted players, especially if Clavijo signs the foreign box-to-box he's been talking about.

There was an article on MLS.com yesterday about how its going to be tough for any RSL draft picks to make their roster this season. FCD is in a similar position. Our #5 pick will make the roster, and everybody else has a fight. Of course, this is nothing new. Last year we took Hollingshead in the 2nd round with the knowledge that he didn't actually want to play that season. It was kind of a delayed pick due to roster congestion.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    FCD has traded down to #10 in the draft.

Could have had Mullins or any number of GenAd players. We'll see how this goes..........................