2014 Rhino/Rochester news

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by RobtheAggie, Jan 20, 2014.

1. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game Schedule is out:
    http://www.uslsoccer.com/schedules/2014/65672455.html

5 April 7:30 @ Orlando
    11 April 7:00 @ Dayton
    21 April 12:00pm @ Chicago Fire Reserves
    27 April 4:05 vs Charleston (Home opener)
    2 May 7:00 @Richmond
    3 May 7:30 @ Wilmington (Back to Back)
    10 May 7:05 vs Orlando
    17 May 7:00 @ Pittsburg
    23 May 7:35 vs Sacramento
    30 May 7:35 vs Richmond

1 June 7:00 @ Dayton
    7 June 7:05 vs Pittsburgh
    11 June 10:30 @LA Galaxy II
    14 June 10:10 @ Phoenix FC
    20 June 7:35 vs Dayton
    22 June 8:00 @OKC
    28 June 7:05 vs Charlotte
    4 July 7:00 @ Pittsburgh
    11 July 7:35 vs FC Dallas Reserves
    19 July 7:05 vs Wilmington
    27 July 4:05 vs Orlando
    1 Aug 7:35 vs Charlotte
    9 Aug 7:05 vs LA Blues

15 Aug 7:30 @ Charleston
    16 Aug 7:00 @ Charlotte
    23 Aug 7:05 vs Harrisburg
    30 Aug 7:00 @ Harrisburg
    7 Sep 4:05 vs Wilmington

28 games. Only two back to back road matches. The biggest stretch that does not make sense is the 11 Jun - 22 June. 11 days, 4 games, three away with a home one in the middle?

2. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understood, I did not mean to bring up a dead horse.

I am not holding my breath for pro/rel, at all, I understand the idea of franchises. There has been discussion of a 2nd tier MLS that would be permanently in the 2nd tier. If USLPro develops into that, I am fine. I guess what I am saying is that for the first time in a long time, I have hope that the Rhinos are moving in the right direction.

3. soccerFrank

soccerFrank Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    The 2nd tier is the NASL.....most USL Pro ownership groups don't meet the qualifications for USSF 2nd division .

brentgoulet repped this.
  4. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that. What I am referring to has been discussed to death on other locations is that MLS will eventually create two leagues. MLS 1 currently MLS , and a MLS2. There would not promotion/relegation due to franchises, but two permanent leagues. I understand that USLPro has ownership's that do not currently meet the USSF 2nd Division requirements, but things are moving more in that direction. That was all I was trying to say.

5. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some more players to report.
    Onua Thomas Obasi is a 6'3'' forward from Birmingham, UK. England NT Futsal player. He was the MVP at the most recent World Futsal Champsionships. Looks like he once played at Central Conn State University.
    Samuel Petrone who had recently played for Mjallby AIF in Sweden and Leiknir in Iceland. Former Clemson player.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Petrone

Ayao Sossou played for Tampereen PalloVeikot in Finland. Looks like he played college soccer at VMI and is from Togo.
    http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/ayao-sossou/profil/spieler_277264.html

6. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lilly's comments on the signings:

"All three of our new signings will add a different dimension to our team this season. Petrone is a player who is clever in his movement off the ball. He also has an excellent understanding that allows him to make that final pass that unlocks an opponent's defense. He can create chances for others, but he can also score goals. Thomas is a very technical player who is creative and can beat a defender one-v-one, but at the same time he has shown me the ability to play simply and work hard for his team. He can do unpredictable things in the final third which is a valuable commodity to have. Ayao Sossou is a quick player who loves to go forward and jump into the attack. He excels in one-v-one situations both offensively and defensively."

7. RocFan14

RocFan14 New Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
  8. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I would assume that most of the soccer matches will be long gone from the neighborhood before 11pm. The only one that I can remember maybe going that late was the Rev US Open Cup match with the weather problems last season. My fear is that news like this will give even more people a reason not to go to the matches.

9. soccerFrank

soccerFrank Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Rob...Rob....I think your smarter and have a little more common sense then this RocFan14.

10. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I would like to think that I am. It was an early Saturday morning. I look back at my post and cringe a little.

11. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting piece of information from todays Devo's Direck Kicks:
    http://www.democratandchronicle.com...day-rhinos-back-in-market-for-goalie/5339261/

It appears that the Rhinos knew that Alex Horwath was being looked at by Swedish side. They signed him to a contract that would allow him to leave with a transfer fee. The Swedish side paid the fee, and now Rochester gets a transfer fee for a player that they never paid. Not a bad deal. Lilly also said that they are looking at around 20 different keepers.

12. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it is not the same, but Orlando has already opened camp and will play their first scrimmage today. Rochester is still 2 weeks away from opening camp.

14. RocFan14

RocFan14 New Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
  15. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. RocFan14

RocFan14 New Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
  17. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted on the PSU thread and this is what was posted:

18. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although I love Transfermarket for what it is, it is not always accurate. Many of the people on the list are last years who were released. Not saying that some will not return, but it seems to be quite wrong. We shall see. I would love some news about whom the 4 players from New England.

19. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. RocFan14

RocFan14 New Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
  21. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice find. I like the match against Ottawa. That will be about three weeks into camp. I would bet they have a match with a college team before that.

22. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.uslsoccer.com/home/789213.html

Preseason schedule:
    Rochester Rhinos Preseason Schedule

Date

Time

Opponent

March 7th

3 p.m.

Syracuse University

Sahlen's Stadium

March 9th

2 p.m.

Binghamton University

Sahlen's Stadium

March 14th

6 p.m.

Niagara University

Sahlen's Stadium

March 16th

3 p.m.

Pittsburgh Riverhounds

Highmark Stadium

March 21st

1 p.m.

Ottawa Fury FC

Sahlen's Stadium

March 23rd

4 p.m.

Cornell University

Sahlen's Stadium

March 29th

1 p.m.

Montreal Impact

Sahlen's Stadium

4 D-I soccer teams, 1 USL Pro, 1 NASL, 1 MLS?/USLPro

23. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://soccerly.com/article/boconne...g-rochester-rhinos-partnership-very-seriously

Last week, the Revolution announced the renewal of their partnership with USL-PRO side Rochester Rhinos. Like last year, New England will once again loan out four players to Western New York to train and play with the third-division side.
    With that in mind, Heaps is keeping watch during training and gameday to find out who would benefit from regular playing time in Rochester.
    “The partnership is certainly something that we’re taking very seriously,” Heaps said. “We want to have a back and forth (of player movement) as well. We don’t just want to send the four players and leave them there. I want there to be some dynamic of returns so, we’ll carry 30 and most likely 26 will be training with us all the time.”
    It’s tough to tell which players could be en route to Rochester, even at this time of the preseason. Unsigned 2014 draft picks Alec Sundly and Pierre Omanga, as well as 2013 pick Jossimer Sanchez, all stand to benefit from playing time with the Rhinos - should they all receive contract offers, of course.
    Regardless of who goes to Rochester, who earns a starting spot, or who gets a contract offered to him, rest assured that Heaps won’t rush into the process of filling out the roster in the days ahead.
    “We have players that we have train with us, and players that we’re communicating with,” Heaps said. “Whether we start the season with 30 exactly, or with 28 or 29, we know we have players in camp that we’ll want to add. The team is shaping up, and we have a lot of (room) to make our team better.”

If this really is the way that Heaps will do this, I like it.

24. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This season Lilley is expected to enter training camp with around a dozen players under contract, so he will be evaluating trialists and signing new players while he finishes constructing the Rhinos roster.
    http://www.rhinossoccer.com/news/?article_id=438

Looks like we will not see a finalized roster until the end of the pre-season.

It also appears that the Rhinos have signed a goalie.
    http://instagram.com/p/k0ak6uEX9o/ also here http://www.thebentmusket.com/revolu...tawa-fury-montreal-impact-goalkeeper-mccarthy

25. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that pretty much the same way / timeline he had the first time he was the coach. I seem to remember that he didn't keep a lot of players from the previous season. I bet he still comes up with a pretty good team.