2014 Rapid season Catch- All

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Mar 8, 2014.

1. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting

Chris Bianchi ‏@Rapids_News ·22 hrs
    Maybe a little ahead of ourselves here, but #Rapids96 collected 17 road points last season. Currently on pace for…34.

2. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yes, that's getting "a little" ahead of ourselves.

jayd8888 and JasonMa repped this.
  3. aurelius

aurelius Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    What is the status of the Dutch defender mentioned last week? Still a trialist? Signing in the works or on hold?
    I've lost count--do we have any more international slots left?
    How are Klute and Serna progressing?
    Does Mari have any friends in Spain who have his skill and are looking to come to a club that actually pays their salaries on time (small though they may be)?

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have one international slot open at the moment:
    Start with 8, add 1 each for the Gregorio and Pablo trades and the Cascio loan, subtract 1 each for the Nyassi and Wahl trades and the allocation money we got from Vancouver

Currently internationals: Brown, Eloundou, Griffiths, Jose Mari, Piermayr, Torres, Sanchez

aurelius and COMtnGuy repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per Bianchi's tweets today:

Rapids still plan to sign Neeskens, but he holds an american passport so would not take an international spot
    Serna, Buddle, Sanchez all expected to be available for Toronto this weekend
    Klute still a couple of weeks away
    Irwin expected to start

COMtnGuy, aurelius and Dom. FC repped this.
  6. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Repped the concise reporting I don't seem to be able to find anywhere else. Thanks,

7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder why the wait? Just makes me think, probably wrongly, that a trade is in works for Wynne.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could be that, like Piermayr, they want to wait until they have all the paperwork to make him eligible before they announce it.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Even if it's a fairly even trade skill wise (better ball skills and smart play for speed), taking a break on Wynne'salary would be welcome. I also wonder if another team would be willing to pick him up with his salary. How long is his current contract?

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He signed a new deal before the 2013 season. If its the MLS standard 2 + 2 team option years it could end as soon as next offseason.

Soaker888 repped this.
  11. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say with Pablo in charge and using Wynne at CB, I think trading him has become much less likely.

12. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm missing something... I thought the Wynne and Moor were re-signed as Core Players and, as such, a portion of their salary comes from the so-called MLS retention fund which does not count against the cap.

JasonMa and COMtnGuy repped this.
  13. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Valid point. I guess the question is: between Moor, O'Neil, and Wynne, who gets the CB starting slots assuming Piermayr and Neeskens are both on the roster by mid-April? Klute back in, Piermayr able to play both sides, and Neeskens as a likely defender would give us more depth than we expected just a month ago. Who rides pine (yea, could be the new guys)?

Edit: This makes the assumption that the team would like to bring O'Neil back to the center. I could be easily wrong on that one.

You got me there...

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct, but we don't know how much of Wynne's (or Moor's) salary doesn't hit the cap. Considering Wynne has been one of the highest paid members of the team for a while, I don't think its unreasonable to assume that moving him would clear up at least a decent chunk of cap space.

15. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Puts us in the all to familiar realm of speculation again. :D
    Until the Rapids managed to screw up getting any value for Pickens, I'd was thinking the retention portion must be significant enough to give them incentive to keep him. Now? Who knows...

16. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
  17. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    José Mari appeared on the Tiro Libre podcast in an interview with Hugo Chavez (heh-- yeah that's actually his name). He said that the environment in the locker room is "fantastic"-- that the Rapids are not a team of stars but that they are all hard workers. He said that Vicente Sanchez in particular has been important in welcoming him to the team and teaching him a lot. He said that he feels the Rapids can compete with the other teams that have a higher payroll.

He said that MLS is very physical, more so than the Spanish league. However, he said that the technical level is also high, and that it surprised him. Said that MLS will soon be among the best leagues.

As to the toreador celebration-- he decided upon doing that when he found out he'd be leaving Spain. He has family members who like bullfights a lot.

He also mentioned that it was the first time he had scored twice in a game as a professional. But of course the 3 points were the most important thing :)

I'd like to take credit for his being on the podcast-- because I tweeted at them right after scored the second goal, saying they should have him on. Clearly that made all the difference. :D

m vann, Quinn 33, COMtnGuy and 4 others repped this.
  18. BigBrasky

BigBrasky Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Reading that and hearing that Sanchez has been very important in welcoming him into the team, along with EVERYTHING ELSE Sanchez does...that guy is incredible. Really stand-up guy it sounds like.

I love seeing this team perform well, and I love hearing how well everybody gets along!

Stuart95, m vann, COMtnGuy and 2 others repped this.
  19. aurelius

aurelius Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The positive contributions Sanchez makes are evident even during the warm-ups. He works hard on each drill and encourages the others, especially the young ones, to do the same. Class all around! Would love to see RFO find place for him within the organization when is playing days are done.

Stuart95, Rod1916 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  20. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets (Yes, I have mouse in my pocket) try some positive speculation for Clint Irwin :)

The Goalkeeper Special
    Keller, Friedel, Howard, Guzan ... Clint Irwin? Is the Rapids No. 1 next in line for the US national team? MLS great Joe Cannon joins the guys for a special show on all things goalkeeper...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/marchtothematch

21. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    "plus insight on Rimando's secret" ... lift heels?

22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #198 m vann, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Report on FB that we traded Rivero's rights to Chivas USA for a late-round draft pick.

COMtnGuy repped this.