2014 Preseason

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by MLSinCleveland, Jan 18, 2014.

1. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    No. Tchani has somehow convinced three clubs that he is worth a high salary and starting spot. Fifi is just a draft pick who may or may not work out. Huge difference.

2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We also need to be careful not to go all Al Hill on folks after one game. [Al Hill set the NHL record for points in his first NHL game with 2 goals and 3 assists. He ended up being a journeyman, scoring 40 goals in 8 seasons. But after that first game. everyone thought he was the Second Coming. I happened to be watching that game on TV, which is how I remember.]

3. DhamphirLoki

DhamphirLoki Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Since we are on the topic, someone asked Andrew King about this, and this was his response:

4. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WE'RE GONNA WIN THE CUP!!!!!!!

5. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I watched a grainy first half and the highlights.

Looks like the team is going to be encouraged to play their way from the back. Distribution from the goalkeepers will be key on this, as will the ability of the players to be confident on the ball. The reason this works for teams like Arsenal and Barcelona is because not only are they able to buy the best players that have the technical ability, but they also have their whole club from first team to kids team playing this way.

I thought sweat and slogic showed a lack of composure to be able to carry this out.

Still, it was the first real game, team needs time to gel, and I am sure we will see our first 11 take shape.

6. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surprise to see so many people excited about him.
    Isn't Francis' MO that he is an attacking left back? The ask is because I think this could lead to a nice balance. Barson is not exactly an attacking right back but with Oduro on the right side of midfield (if he plays there) that would create a nice balance on that side. On the left with Francis and a player who is likely a little more defensive in nature/not as skilled attacker compared to Oduro it would provide balance and cover on that side as well.

7. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Invincibles 2.0

8. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this mean we have to sing Pat Benatar every game?

9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hit me with your best shot....

CrewV Man and cam5fc repped this.
  10. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well let's hope not. If he has some skill then he might be ahead of Tchani already lol

11. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

People always forget Preston North End.

12. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't. I just never count them anyway because of my Arsenal bias! :D

Swellster repped this.
  13. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enjoy being the top club in London while you can.

THE WOMBLES WILL RISE AGAIN!!!

14. Crewture

Crewture Member

Columbus Crew
    Poland
    Jan 28, 2013
    Linesville, PA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #114 Crewture, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    My one boss tried to produce preseason games at IMG Academy, out in Phoenix, Disney, and Charleston. He got shut down.

MLSsoccer is doing all the feeds in house, and their baffling bad. The scoreboard for Crew vs. Malmo is in the center of the action, there is no clock which could've easily been added, and the broadcast was in SD, and a bad quality output for SD at that.

Could've seen the play better, fog or not, if the broadcast was done on HD cameras.

My broadcasts as a Producer weren't amazing, but as far as effort were much better in comparison I think(and they have everything possible to do this at IMG):

But, the "producers" MLS hired (which would've had absolutely zero to do in yesterday's game other than make sure the feed kept running- which they couldn't) make me feel better.

Why doesn't MLS get some HD cameras, put some B roll in there, some pictures of the commentators, and try to get some sponsors for preseason broadcasts? Crew vs. Malmo easily doubled the best hits my Nscaa Tv broadcasts got, but we were still sponsored by Continental Tire and Lumber Liquidators (and Continental Tire is a pain).

At least some consistency would be nice. It wouldn't cost a lot at all. I had everything to do a better broadcast packed in my Buick Verano

POdinCowtown and CybrSlydr repped this.
  15. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anybody watch the TFC DC game where they left the mics on at Halftime?

16. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, everyone else doesn't do that already?

In terms of the lineups, I kind of found it interesting that Speas played in Pipa's spot and Meram was wide left, instead of Speas at LM and more of a two forward look with Arrieta and Meram up top (Jairo could play underneath some as well).

Not that inverted wingers can't work, but I generally prefer lefties wide left, but since our aerial game will likely be nada (Higuain and Arrieta up top), it may not matter as much.

17. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Luckily they will probably be in Dayton.

18. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Where they will get trained to play the way Greggggg wants?

19. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happened there?

20. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    All your preseason trophies are belong to us!

21. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't be tough. Jiminez just needs to be on the pitch to out-play last season's Gaven. And Marshall did not have a good season last year by any means. That said, for WAHL to out perform Marshall is a tough ask. But we don't need Wahl to do that, we need Parkhurst to do that. We need Williams to out play the conglomerate mess of CB's who played next to Chad.

kgilbert78 repped this.
  22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Concur. The other argument was a bit of a strawman. Wahl is not replacing Marshall. That said, I'd much prefer to have a healthy Gaven back. But that ain't happening.

23. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry for not keeping up, but what's Francis' status? He didn't play vs. Malmo, right? Injured? Paperwork?

24. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Minor injury.

25. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Gaven started 10 games and had 4 assists, tied for second on the team. Jimenez may or may not win a starting job but I doubt he plays as well as Gaven when he's on the field. And he probably shouldn't be expected to at a quarter the price. Marshall was by far our best CB last year. We started with Marshall and Glauber and ended with Marshall and Williams. So the Wahl-Williams combo either requires a lot of improvement from Williams (he has plenty of room for improvement but has been here 4 years already) or requires Wahl to play like Marshall. Or for us fans to recognize reality that we're much weaker at CB this year than last, especially when Parkhurst is playing RB. He may be replacing Marshall's salary and may play in the center eventually but if he's out right, he's not replacing Marshall on the field.