2014 Pre Season Player Moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BostonRed, Aug 10, 2013.

1. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's been a few bad ones. I don't think Boston ever played Melinda Mercado did they? Gave up a second rounder for her too.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they got 90 minutes out of her against the Spirit in May.

3. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The waivers are signed players only?
    There could be other players whose options will not be exercised or are free agents, just we don't know who yet?

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And I have no clue what difference is. I got the impression everyone signed one year contracts with an option. Wouldnt everyone have to go thru waivers if they wanted to release them?

Anywho, here is the NWSL explanation page

http://www.nwslsoccer.com/News/754488.html

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Which is the only position Washington r strong at. Not only do the have Krieger and Pressley but they will likely add Dunn to the mix. Hopefully Dunn and Krieger both get used farther forward next season.

7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't surprise me at all. I think it's a great pickup by Washington. She'll shore up a backline that was decimated by injuries.

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    ....And on the topic of Washington and next season, Since Tyreso and PSG r somehow matched in the first round of UCL, the mythical quest for CL title will be over for either the Heath/Horan group or the Krieger/Press/Engen/Klingenberg/Harris group this October.

9. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strong? Washington's backline was a disaster last season, even with 3 internationals.

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well they were awful at CB. Chapman was endlessly injured and Huster was basically a midfielder filling in. Pressley wasnt with them at the beginning and also got hurt but I thought she did a good job when she played. Krieger was ok on the right side. Gayle managed to get hurt as well. Still I could have lived with Krieger and Pressley outside and Abegg and a real CB inside for next season. I guess they could move Pressley farther forward because Marshall is an upgrade over Gayle. They still need a CB.

11. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Although Dunn is clearly the best player in the draft, after this move, if they're are smart, they'll trade their #1 overall pick for a replacement pick and an established player or at least a 2nd pick, or something. They really didn't need another outside back (and yes, I know Dunn and Kreiger can play elsewhere, but that is their NT position) and they have bigger holes that need to be filled.

12. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Lol, mythical.

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Im sorry, I just dont buy into the notion that young American girls fall to sleep at night dreaming of winning a European title. At any rate, if PSG beats Tyreso surely Krieger whose CL dream has been crushed will return home in November

BostonRed repped this.
  14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think Dunn plays in the midfield in the NWSL. But, what does Washington want? A scorer. Is anyone who has one gonna trade her? Not likely. They should take Dunn and try and get an international (a younger one) who can score. Worse case scenario is they finish last and get Morgan Brian the next year.

Maybe Press and Engen like playing with Krieger and Harris so much they both sign with Washington.

15. Newfor2010

Newfor2010 Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Club:
    Asker FK
    You are not saying this because you view Brian as a scorer right? So you don't take a scorer now and finish last and then following year don't draft a scorer again?

16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Press - Ochs
    Matheson - Lindsey - Dunn
    Huster
    Marshall-Abegg-Engen-Krieger
    Harris

That would be a nice line-up

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I dont think they will draft a forward because they went that way last year and got burned...I think they take Dunn. If they get to take Brian the next year it will be because she is the best player and also a local draw.

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Boston Breakers r making a big trade tomorrow including allocated players...wonder if it's O'Reilly to Washington???

19. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    At least there is some fun in the 'off season'.

20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor out here is that there's been a Thorns/Spirit deal. Thorns put Marshall on waivers, with the Spirit guaranteed to get her if there's competition for her since the Spirit's bottom of the table position gives them first dibs in case of competition for a waived player. In return, the Spirit trade their #1 draft pick to the Thorns for big $$. Dunn then comes to the Thorns to play for Parlow-Cone.

Just kidding!

21. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Washington would need to offer quite a bit to get O'Reilly, since I don't see them giving up Harris or Krieger, and Lindsey's value would have gone way down after the lackluster season she just had.

Did you come up with that on your own? Because it sounds like something the conspiracy wackos would think up.

22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    LOL yeah big salary capped dollars...part of the unfun of this league is u never get crazy stuff like that.

23. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, enough $$ to guarantee that the Spirit don't lose any $$ next year. It would make sense.

But, to answer BlueCrimson, just wishful thinking and then putting together a logical scenario.

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well the notion is that O'Reilly would like to play closer to her husband in NC. Boston trading an allocated player doesnt offer many options. They have HAO, Leroux, Wilkenson, Moscato and Santiego. The last three dont equate to big deal. Other player of Boston interest is Mewis of course but I cant see them trading Leroux for her. HAO for Mewis doesnt get her closer to home.

25. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This rumor has not reached NJ sources yet but sometimes they arrive only by Pony Express. The gossip in NJ has been HAO switching to Wash following the NC relocation. O'Reilly for Dunn move makes sense for both teams but not sure how possible until Dunn finishes college season and signs with WNT.