2014 Portland Pilots

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by cpthomas, Nov 28, 2013.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Pilots just have completed a tremendous 17-3-1 season, notwithstanding the referee-aided disappointment at the end. The season has been particularly remarkable, as the Pilots started five freshmen regularly and ended up with the frosh accounting for 37% of all minutes played.

We have a lot to look forward to next year, but also questions about who will fill the gaps left by departing seniors:

In goal, there will need to be a successor to Erin Dees. An incoming frosh is supposed to be good, but I also could see another keeper being added to the roster via the transfer route -- remember Kelsey Davis?

In the central defense, there will be a hole to fill with Amanda Frisbie's departure. Here, the Pilots have two of this year's frosh set to step in in Madi Hall and Alyssa Edenstrom. Fortunately, the newbie will be paired with Lorielle McCluskie, who was a rock this year, in my book the most improved player on the team.

In the midfield, there will be a critical space to fill with the graduation of attacking mid Ellen Parker. I will miss her exquisite playmaking. I could see this year's frosh Allison Wetherington filling that spot, as she plays with the same kind of finesse as Parker and ultimately might be even better. An alternative would be Emily Sippel, who filled that role some this year. Or, we might see a slightly different formation that shares the attacking mid role.

At forward, the Pilots will need to replace Micaela Capelle. Here, a definite possibility looks to be Noelle LaPrevotte, who spelled the Pilots' forwards regularly as the season progressed. Another possibility would be seeing one of this year's frosh shifting positions to fill Capelle's role -- Ellie Boone?, although she turned out to be a great left back this year.
    It's going to be a fun adventure, that's for sure.

Also of note, Allison Wetherington and Ariel Viera, both freshmen, just have been called into the upcoming U20 WNT camp. This is a repeat for Wetherington. It's a first time for Viera -- who as an outside right defender had the most minutes played of any Pilot this year.

2. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Parker and Frisbie being replaced by freshmen. They have two very talented, technically sound players coming in in 2014 that attended the 2013 ECNL id2 camp. One also attended the 2012 camp, along with Wetherington and Viera, as was mentioned, who were both called up to U-20's.

3. justdoit

justdoit Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The only thing Portland will have to contend with is who plays in goal for them next year. They will be solid in most other positions.

4. eefallen

eefallen Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Portland plays NC STATE on 8/24 in Raleigh NC.

5. Merlo Mighty

Merlo Mighty Member

Jun 30, 2014
    The Pilots signed a goalkeeper from Germany! Looks like they are taking a page from Mark Krikorian’s playbook for obtaining foreign talent. Yay!

After viewing the videos from what seems to be a recruiting showcase service , what do you people think?

6. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Whew! Given that the roster only shows one other keeper (a local incoming frosh) this is a must recruit. Congrats on the staff finding an experienced keeper at this late date. Here name is a Dutch spelling, and I note that the stadium she was practicing in is Dutch. (But then again Nordhorn is right next to Holland.)

I really do not know how international recruiting works, so I only have an impression regarding these videos you've turned up... Same as yours.

Hey! Why doesn't Mark Krikorian publish a book on how to do it?;)

I'm pulling for Portland to remain one of the key powerhouses on the left coast. There is a certain balance that needs to be maintained, and the brand of soccer culture that is exemplified by UP is important to hold out there for all to see as successful.

7. philrothgeb

philrothgeb Member

Oct 11, 2011
    She came up through the same Develomental System as Nadine Angerer...for what it's worth...

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

In her case I think she was first noticed at an international goalkeeper camp in Portland. There were rumors since midwinter that possibly she and another international might come. One of the issues is time. The requirements for checking out the academic and TOEFL ( test of English as a foreign language) had to be done to make sure she would succeed in her classes. She is apparently studying health administration, which will fit well with UP' s school of nursing and liaison with the Oregon Health Sciences University across town, which UP students are tied into. She speaks English well. I guess they had to make sure she wouldn't struggle with English textbooks.

She has played on clubs in the Netherlands, Norway, and Germany.

9. Moist Pits

Moist Pits Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Portland, Ore.
  10. Merlo Mighty

Merlo Mighty Member

Jun 30, 2014
    Pilots had a total of 6 shots this weekend. Can anyone explain this?

11. wnslsocfan

wnslsocfan New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Center backs??? The lack of having experience as well as the skill set and speed for the position has affected their entire offense. Because of their ineffectiveness, the holding mids are tentative about pushing up deep into the offensive attack and without their support in the final third, the team really does a poor job of finishing. Put that together with injuries, depth, youth, and lack of speed up top, and your looking at pretty much the same for the rest of what has been a frustrating season.

12. Merlo Mighty

Merlo Mighty Member

Jun 30, 2014
    But would these even be issues with a better and larger recruiting class, like the class of 2013? Heck, this year we didn't even a have a second goalkeeper until the middle of summer. This was a 17-3-1 team last year and now we won't even make the playoffs. I am very frustrated.

13. wnslsocfan

wnslsocfan New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Sorry to add to your frustrations, but now both of their freshmen starters (field players) are done for the year.

14. Merlo Mighty

Merlo Mighty Member

Jun 30, 2014
    And the last I looked there were only 3 recruits coming next year. This a low point.

15. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    That depends where you look. There have been 5 Announced recruited for 2015 with at least one and possibly two unannounced.

The 2016 class is full and the 2017 class is well underway.

This season is pretty frustrating, with four starters out and a couple more playing hurt.

16. Merlo Mighty

Merlo Mighty Member

Jun 30, 2014
    If that is indeed the case, would you or would you not say the team is at a distinct disadvantage with a roster of only 19 players, some even described as "slow?" Or would you say the roster needed to be deeper before the season started?

17. Moist Pits

Moist Pits Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Portland, Ore.
    The Pilots never had a prayer with the size and quality of the roster at season's start. After a run of 4 straight second round exits and now not even a chance for a fifth, this is the worst the program has been in 15 years.