2014 Point Tracker

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by BalanceUT, Mar 16, 2014.

1. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if 15 to 32 is going to be posting his +/- analysis, but I like the idea of a separate thread for points tracking of various types.

Here is my first graph for the 2014 season. Note: This is the first season that RSL has 4 points after 2 matches. We've now covered all the possible points that can be earned after 2 matches: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 (5 is not possible).

The grey to black lines are the Ellinger years. The blue shades are the Kreis years, along with the yellow/gold MLS Cup year. Red for the current year.

[​IMG]

ShaggyReAL, UPinSLC, Lizzie Bee and 2 others repped this.
  2. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Next year's goal: Earn 5 points in two games......somehow. :D

Glad to see the graphs back, oddly enough It's one of the things I missed most during the offseason.
    Only complaint is the 2014 line breaking away from the 2011 line.

3. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Would be great, if the (currently all-Blues) Trend Lines for 2010-2013 can be more contrasting. :)

4. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    IMHO, 2013's graph is more contrasting... :)

5. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 UPinSLC, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    I disagree, to my eyes this graph is the best one yet, the blues contrast well with the greys and the yellow and red lines contrast even more so. It really is quite cool how well the 3 groups of seasons separate themselves so distinctly.

BalanceUT repped this.
  6. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's just having fun with me because of how defensive I can get about my work on these:cry:… But, thanks for noticing my efforts, I do try to create graphs that communicate clearly :thumbsup:

henryo repped this.
  7. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would it be possible to include one more line for what it would look like if we continued to gain points on the average points we have earned so far this season? I think it would give us a good idea of the direction this season is headed in relationship to past seasons.

henryo repped this.
  8. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now shit's just getting crazy.

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This early in the season that might be a bit much.
    I mean had we won Saturday our trend would have been 102 points by the end of the season

Jester4422 and henryo repped this.
  10. SpiffCoug

SpiffCoug Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Orem, Ut
    Every time I see the graph I look at how pathetic 2005 was. The 2nd half of the season is basically a STRAIGHT line with just seven points in the final 16 matches. We got all of ONE point in the final 12 games that year. And that one point came in the second to last game!

Think about that. We got SEVEN of a possible 48 points. That's just 14.6% of the possible points.

I guess those of us who suffered through that season up at RES can look back at that year with.... fondness?

henryo repped this.
  11. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I realize that this will get more useful as more of the season gets played. Even now we are off the chart at 68 points. I almost said exactly what you just said in my post, but decided to keep it as a short and sweet request. I did it now so that there is plenty of implementation time before the data actually starts becoming more useful.

henryo and 15 to 32 repped this.
  12. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last thing I remember about that season was the Chivas match in August that I went to for my birthday...the infamous kicking incident and Mathis getting a red card. Everything after that has been wiped from the memory banks, it was just taking up space anyways.

13. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's one of the take-home messages of such a graph: It reminds us, no matter how upset we might be about any current run of form, we know what bad really looks like and can adjust our attitude. And, in the future, when we are sucking it up, and that will happen eventually for some period of time, we can look at how good we are and know all things are possible.

14. SpiffCoug

SpiffCoug Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Orem, Ut
    Was that the one where he was rolling on the ground "injured" and then a Chivas player kicked the ball at him while he was on the ground?

15. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #15 UPinSLC, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    Yup, that's the one. I believe it was the one where the Chivas player kicked an RSL player in the chest and was captured on film (photographed) by one of our fellow RSL BS posters, the photograph was subsequently emailed to MLS HQ and the Chivas player got suspended for multiple matches. If I remember correctly the Chivas player that kicked the RSL player didn't get caught during the match, another Chivas player was red carded during the melee that ensued as was Mathis. Also, Andy Williams scored the 5000th goal in MLS history...

Here's the BS match thread:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/rsl-goat-lite-8-6-pre-pbp-post-r.226844/

Deuce took the photo of the Chivas player kicking the RSL player, but it doesn't exist there any more.

16. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I like how the 2006 line is fading away to gray. In another year or two it'll virtually match the graph background.

henryo and BalanceUT repped this.
  17. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it is impossible.

18. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, being impossible, I'll expect to see it on the next iteration. Thanks! ;)

BalanceUT repped this.
  19. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

BalanceUT and DrownedElf repped this.
  20. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's never been a season in which we've had 5 points after 3 matches. So, we got that going for us! Unicorns!

Plata came off and the team lost the ability to threaten LA. The NBC announcer noted that Plata opens up defenses more by starting his runs to give the midfield a target to aim for while Garcia waits for the pass to run onto it. This sounds like a teachable skill to me.

[​IMG]

SenordrummeR2, Lizzie Bee and henryo repped this.
  21. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet again, never had 8 point after 4 matches. Go RSL!

What a complete game played by the team. Tenacious, creative, focused. I think that is as good as this team can play. Enjoy it, because a team can't put that out there every week. It just doesn't work that way.

[​IMG]

15 to 32, d1ddy, henryo and 3 others repped this.
  22. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is arguable that this is the best start ever for RSL. In no previous season has RSL gotten through the 5th match without a loss. We are also tied on points with the 2009 championship season. So, we got that going for us! Unicorns!

As for the match… this was a tough fought match between two really even teams. Played on SKC's home field, so they did tend to get the run of play. And, we were lucky; any other way of looking at it ignores how many chances SKC had one-on-one and virtually open net, etc. SKC could have lost, we could have lost, a draw is a reasonable outcome. Attinella was also a beast! Seriously, MOTM. So nice to know that when Rimando can't go, Attinella is a worthy replacement.

[​IMG]

TheBiff, henryo and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  23. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Yeah, we're doing all right. Hell, we're probably over-achieving with all the injuries we have.
    So really no need to panic yet.

24. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Factor in the seriously brutal schedule as well. Can't really complain about this start. (Though I do kinda wonder if at some point we will be saying we've had it easy getting to play LA twice... We'll see if they can not suck)

25. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typical Bruce team, suck suck suck suck, don't care don't care don't care .....then the last third of the season they turn it on.