News: 2014 Player Salaries

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saying, if Kraft wants to save money...if Dorman and Caldwell stay healthy, I'd be happy to do Mullins' job for half his number.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  2. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think the spread looks like that of a non capped league, and on top of that, I think you also have to take into account that the league is still relatively young, and has yet to reach what you might call maturity. It's much further along than it was in say 2000, but I think most if not all would agree that the league still has a lot more growing to do, both literally and figuratively.

In looking at MLB from last season, an obviously mature league which doesn't really have a cap, there are a couple of teams which are clear outliers at the top, then it's a pretty steady slope down to the 3rd or 4th from bottom team, with the last few having more marked drops from one to the next. In terms of players who made more than entire teams, there were 4 players who made more than Houston (with another player just under). Then, in looking at the top 100 player salaries, there are 5 teams where the top 2 salaries are higher than the bottom 2 teams, 5 teams where the top 3 salaries are larger than the bottom 3 teams, and again 5 teams whose top 4 salaries are larger than the bottom 8 clubs (I wasn't purposely looking at top 5's, the seemingly significant natural breaks just happened that way).

I would have liked to look at the Premier League, but the info in the top hits for the initial search I did wasn't quite full, and I really need to do some real work that I'm getting paid to do.

I would definitely love to see this as well. We'll never see it, at least certainly not from the Revs, but I'd love to know what spending on scouting is like across the league, domestic and international.

patfan1 repped this.
  3. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #53 MLSFan123, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    Exactly, that is why it was meaningless. The tweet never should have mentioned 2022.

If you followed the tweet, people who did not understand what the growth came from started asking if that 2022 number would put MLS in the EPL category. When instead they should be wondering why the median has not grown much at all these past many years.

4. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in soccer, we know that salary in only part of the story. When you start factoring the discrepancy in transfer fees spent, the gap between the haves and have nots in the EPL and LA Liga, it makes MLS look extremely level.

5. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of interesting analysis but one way of looking at all this is missing---I like framing this in terms of total dollars spent per point along with many other markers of success.

6. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see detailed budgets for each entire organization so we can really see how far behind the Revs are.

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see that we pay better than several CFL teams, not to mention the club whose epic victory over Glasgow Celtic in the Scottish Cup a few years ago provided the greatest headline ever: "Super Cally Go Ballistic; Celtic Are Atrocious"

Jon Martin repped this.
  9. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do I get an error on my calculator when I try and figure out how much Shalrie's 294k salary costs on a per appearance basis?

:)

firstshirt, SamSam, ktsd and 1 other person repped this.
  11. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Only the Revs would pay $300k for a practice dummy. :confused:

Anyway, what this salary list tells me is a lot of cap space is gonna be cleared next year. Joseph, Imbongo, and McCarthy all likely get shown the door before the 2015 campaign. Unfortunately they're probably stuck with Bengtson next season again (6 games, 2 starts, 0 goals and 0 assists at Belgrano so far) otherwise the roster flexibility would be even greater.

I'd honestly be fine if most of the cleared space went to raises for Nguyen and JoGo rather than more new additions, as long as there was enough room for an international striker as well.

12. Billy62

Billy62 Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It drives me nuts that Agudelo made $175k last year, and this year we spent $330k on Castillion. I'm not criticizing Castillion, just saying I'd have brought Agudelo back in a cocaine heartbeat. Agudelo is still a free agent by the way.

This is more a criticism of Agudelo than the Revs though. I'm sure they tried to bring him back, and they were clearly willing to spend the cash, but he's determined to be in Europe right now. At the cost of him, you know, actually playing.

13. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new CBA will be in place as well. I think we can conservatively use a $4.3-$4.5m cap next year as an estimate.

14. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't his salary being paid by his previous team?

15. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The contributing player who makes the least is Caldwell. I hope they take care of him. My guess is that as an academy player he had no leverage and probably would have gotten more if he had gone through the draft.

16. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was speculated that Seattle bought him out of his last contract to free up salary cap space. He still gets paid but comes off the books.

The $294k has to be related to that. How the union handles the bookkeeping for that type of thing is unknown to me.

Last year at this time he was listed as making $105k so the Union must have bundled the buyout into one final number since there is no way he got a massive raise this final season.

My guess is that while he is getting his last pay day, he is not affecting any teams cap.

Soccer Doc repped this.
  17. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah, this was talked about in last year's salary thread, but Caldwell's rookie salary was significantly less than many mid-1st round SuperDraft picks that year, and waaaaay less than the other HGPs signed by teams that year (Zardes and Trapp both make more than triple Caldwell's salary).

Hopefully he gets a bump next season considering how many minutes he's played. I also feel bad for him considering he's been pigeonholed into a Clyde Simms-type role, so two years in we still really have no idea of his true potential (he played CAM and some RM at Akron).

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    It must be (his two previous teams, I believe). There's no way they would have paid him that much to bring him back (they traded him for basically nothing to get rid of that salary).

19. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondering how much Seattle is paying because if the Revs are paying that whole salary the FO should be lined up out in front of the stadium and we should all get to stone them

20. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Check out my post above about this.

21. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets hope that Mr Castillion can earn that paycheck next year. Paying that amount of money to not make the bench does not look good

22. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya, just saw that

23. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can bet the farm their not. They are doing him a solid as someone who served the franchise well but no way they are just giving him a retirement bonus

24. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be nice to see what he can do with more freedom. I think we have seen glimpses of it this year. He has made some impressive passes through small openings to free players. What leverage does a HGP have when it comes to salary. They can play for their MLS team or go abroad.

25. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I think the favor should have been reciprocated months ago by Shalrie by hanging up his boots. That said it would be nice to have 10/25 billed at Shalrie Joseph night and give him a proper goodbye