Pittsburgh Riverhounds End Affiliation with Dynamo

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jan 31, 2014.

1. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    It's been a hell of a morning.

While throwing out the term bankrupcy is never good it seems in the long run this won't be too big of a deal, and is mostly a CYA thing while they continue to restructure the organization. They've stated this won't effect the team's operations, and all the moves made during in the off season don't indicate that they think their days are numbered.

3. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

how are the Pittsburgh Power doing?

4. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    from a release they made today:

"Can you guarantee that nothing at Highmark Stadium will be interrupted?

While the operation of the facility is under the oversight of the bankruptcy court, it is not our position to make guarantees other than to say all of our plans are the same for 2014 and we believe with have the interim financing necessary to meet all of our 2014 objectives and obligations. We look forward to the 2014 soccer season and upcoming events!"

We should ask Andrew Driver what he thinks.

5. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Still around though they're a season or two away from the chopping block too.

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This augers poorly for things. Overspent on stadium, can't service the debt. A bit odd that the new majority owner is providing the DIP financing - could be a back door way of taking full control of the team on the cheap and extinguishing some debt at the same time.

7. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    MLSNHTOWN repped this.
  8. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
  9. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thikn Ownby might be a guy that overcomes this loan thing... he is pretty versatile... can play either side.... has really good speed.... and has played some at right back.

redinthemorning and JC507 repped this.
  10. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Ownby hangs around longer than Arena, Salazar and probably JJ as well with the way he's been playing lately. Well probably not JJ because he's generation Adidas.

11. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I reckon there is a fair chance Ownby plays at right back on loan.

12. keem-o-sabi

keem-o-sabi Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and they added a PDL team on top of this? Doesn't seem good down there, spending money all over the place.

13. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll throw this one to @kenntomasch (he's been around the block a few times):
    The costs to run a PDL team are a drop in the bucket compared to the debt from their stadium or their current salary structure.

14. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    I also heard they got a discount on the PDL team FWIW.

At any rate our first game is tomorrow! The Hounds take on Orlando City @ Orlando. Kick off is 7:30pm. The game will be streamed live on Orlando's Youtube channel. I don't think we'll see any of the Dynamo loans start at this point, but we may see them subbed in. Keep in mind the USL allows for 5 subs.

15. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    You guys are going to love Ownby. He's MLS ready, but behind the two best outside mids in MLS in Boniek Garcia and Davis. He also has a very solid Andrew Driver in front of him on the depth chart. Cascio came in and to be frankly is just a better compliment to Boniek (who moved to central mid) and Davis in that he is a tall target for set pieces and a decent finisher from midfield.

Ownby's versatile as he played pretty well at right back in a pinch for Houston in the pre-season. So he may provide some depth for you guys there as well.

Isn't your right midfield one of your better players? I seem to recall a smaller guy who was whipping in crosses pretty well from the right when Pitt was in town.

Honestly, while it is probably pretty disappointing for Ownby -- he seemed to take the Richmond move and the playing time he received as a plus. He came back a better player. Another similar stint and I think HOU exercises his option to keep him during his fourth year (which still should be relatively cheap by MLS standards).

cougarclaws repped this.
  16. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Dallman is our right mid who makes some amazing crosses and has really good chemistry with our striker Angulo.

17. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    To be honest, I have a different view of Ownby. He works hard and he is fast, but he doesn't have MLS starter quality (not yet anyway). He reminds me a bit of a guy who played for Chelsea 10+ years ago; Jesper Gronkjaer. Gronkjaer would blow past everybody with a burst of speed and bring the crowd to their feet, but it was always a let down as his final ball was generally poor.

Getting open down the sideline is meaningless if you can't put decent service into the box. That is Ownby right now.

18. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw some pretty good crosses from him during the preseason. I would say his biggest weakness is confidence due to lack of play time at MLS level. The game I saw against the Scorpions wasn't great, but really none of the team played well so its hard to judge. In that game, I noticed he wasn't taking the initiative in the attack. His touch could also use a little polish, but its not bad. If he learns how to positionally defend, he will be a really good right back as well.

AcetheTigah repped this.
  19. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Ok....so he is Corey Ashe in your view. Still MLS quality, just should be at RB.

20. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I posted a comment about how Lopez sould go to Pittsburgh on mlssoccer.com and they deleted it.

Basically I said this - Alex Lopez is not ready to even be a sub at the attacking or defending midfield role for the HD. At AM, Boniek and Garcia both are way ahead of him. At DM, Clark, Creavelle, and Carasco are all better at the position than him. Letting him sub in would be a disrespect to th other players listed their who have better pace, more confidence and better attitude than he does.

Lopez needs to play and play well. Pittsburgh would be ideal for him to grow but he probably threw a fit about going and now he doesn't even making the subs bench in Vancouver.

Alex talks about possibly going to the world cup in Brazil but he aint even gonna play in Houston if he doesn't get over himself.

I like Alex but Ithink he needs to walk before he can run with MLS 2014. He has got to get the confidence, toughness and quick thinking up to speed to handle bigger, faster, and more athletic players in MLS (compared to the Honduran domestic league). He could have started to do this with Pittsburg.

Ownby will be great for us as a right midfielder starter for us one day if Boniek grows in this AM role. He would be a good sub on either flank. Ownby has pace and attitude to overlap or take guys on in attack. His crossing has been better this year in my opinion. He should be staying here not Lopez.

21. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Riverhounds get a point in their opener.

Saturday, March 29
    Orlando City 1-1 Pittsburgh

I watched the second half of the game on YouTube. Pretty decent production.
    Orlando got the goal while the Pittsburgh keeper was down injured. The Orlando announcers almost noticed.
    Arena and Johnson started for PIT. Salazar came on as a sub.

Game 2:

Saturday, April 5
    Richmond v. Pittsburgh 4:00 pm CDT

22. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did arena and JJ look?

buzz99 repped this.
  23. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Ironically, Ashe's service has been pretty decent for the most part this season (including that beauty cross to Bruin for the goal against New England).

I would like to see what Ownby can do at right back. Really don't think he is ever going to see much time as a right sided midfielder with the Dynamo (although it it was up to me, I would try starting him there over Driver when Cascio is not available).

footyfool repped this.
  24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we are still having this conversation in 6 months, Lopez is a bust. It feels like one already.

25. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And do what with Kofi??? Sit him??? I think not. I'd rather see Ashe sit and try Ownby at LB. And how much longer does Davis really have??? At some point we're gonna need to cut some salary cap.