2014 Penn State Thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by kgilbert78, Jan 5, 2014.

1. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    #27 bhoys, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    Vu is quick, skillful and a solid finisher. Some other info ...

PSU bio: http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/vu_minh00.html

A poor quality video of the Big Ten Network broadcast of PSU win in the 2011 Big Ten tourney semi-finals, with the only goal of the game by Vu, and an post game interview with Vu:

And most importantly, Vu was listed as "one of the hottest guys of college sports" by Seventeen Magazine!: http://www.seventeen.com/college/advice/hottest-college-athletes-minh-vu#slide-5 :)

3. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks

4. Bid&Offer

Bid&Offer Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Shane Campbell leaving Happy Valley. Going to Louisville.

5. soccerpsu1

soccerpsu1 New Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Where did you hear this?

6. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  7. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Penn State men's soccer dancing last night in front of a crowd of over 13,000 at the PSU THON pep rally to help raise funds for the fight against pediatric cancer.

Team is sporting pre-game pennies and post-game compression recover tights ... quite an ensemble! Perhaps this performance might win the team a few more fans and put a few more folks in the stands at Jeffrey Field come fall.
    Last year THON raised a record 12 million dollars, and Penn State students are looking to break that record again this year. Join the dance and donate to THON now! https://securelb.imodules.com/s/1218/thon/thonindex/thonindex.html

8. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    From another angle, i.e., taken by a Penn State soccer player's / dancer's head-cam:

9. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Pretty nice video of Penn State men's soccer highlights from last season:

10. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fully understand the greatness of Thon. But this literally hurt my eyes. In the Old Testament times, the Israelites made conquered nations do these type of "pep rally" moves right before hauling all of their possessions back to the temple.

11. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. This was great. It was interesting to see, at least from the highlights, how much of their scoring came through Tyler and Maloney. I think they're gonna miss Tyler and I'm fearful of the sophomore slump for Maloney. Hopefully, neither of those worries come to fruition. The other notable thing from this video is how much the guys on the team seemed to enjoy each other. When you spend so much time together, the locker room relationships are often something that's overlooked for recruits and fans.

12. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    #37 bhoys, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    24seven - speaking of "hauling possessions," this year's Penn State THON hauled in over $13 million for Hershey Hospital to help kids fighting cancer.

13. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BHoys - Told ya so!

14. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  15. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    From Penn State Men's Soccer Twitter feed:

Penn State Soccer ‏@PennStateMSOC 39m
    Final from Holuba Hall: #PennState 5, Haukar FC of Iceland 0. Goals: Dennis (2), Kronick, Maloney, Klingenberg. Assists by Dennis (2), Kronick, Maloney vs. Haukar FC. (GKs) Sheerin and Finney pitch a combined shutout.

16. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Some highlights from Penn State's spring scrimmage against Haukar FC from Iceland last Saturday:

17. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Penn State with new green uniforms for St. Paddy's Day! upload_2014-3-17_16-25-44.png

fknbuflobo repped this.
  18. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    #43 bhoys, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    Over on the MD Terps thread, S. Mibut posted, in part, the following: " ... And here is where I also point out the school (Maryland) has yet to publicly announce its new players for 2014, either, which is very out of character. (Neither has Penn State, bhoys.) ... " End excerpt from S. Mibut.

In this regard, from looking at the various signing websites, it seems that at the moment PSU would only have one guy to announce, i.e., Noah Pilato from DC United's academy. I suspect Penn State might still be looking to bring in a few others -- as transfers, perhaps? -- so maybe they are holding the announcement for that? This just speculation on my part, but with a couple of Penn State players seemingly transferring out of Happy Valley, it would seem PSU soccer might have some space on the roster, I think.

In the past, Penn State's recruit announcements have been at different times, e.g., the 2013 recruit announcement was made on April 5; the 2012 announcement on February 28; and the 2011 announcement not until May 4.

Penn State soccer coach Bob Warming did publically make one recruiting announcement on signing day ... however, that announcement was for the Penn State (American) football program's event held on Feb. 5, i.e., national signing day. See 2:20 into this video for Warming's part:

I assume that Coach Warming was part of this PSU football event because he was a member of the search committed that helped select Penn State's new football coach, James Franklin, and because Warming particpation supports PSU athletics' and University's "One Team" theme / logo ... http://www.fortyninedegrees.com/2012/11/12/penn-state-one-team-brand/

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I can't imagine there are very many soccer players who are seniors in HS who are good enough to play in the Big Ten who haven't already committed. So I don't think Warming is still putting his recruiting class together.

He may still be looking to add transfers or foreigners, but it's naive to think there are Big Ten-caliber players out there in HS that haven't already committed elsewhere.

I'm a little surprised that heading into his fifth season in Happy Valley that Warming's recruiting classes aren't more robust.

20. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  21. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Penn State recuit Noah Pilato was briefly mentioned in a Washington Post high school sports article today. The excerpt below is from the Post's article on Oakton High in VA, i.e., Oakton is the school that the Post has ranked as the #1 high school team in the Washington DC area as spring soccer gets underway. Excerpt reads as follows:

"Penn State recruit Noah Pilato is back (for Oakton High) after two seasons playing for the D.C. United Academy ..."

Full article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...2ee0d4-b4f5-11e3-8cb6-284052554d74_story.html

22. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    #47 bhoys, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    fknbuflobo repped this.
  23. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    From Penn State Men's Soccer twitter account: "Penn State Soccer ‏@PennStateMSOC
    The #NittanyLions won both games this weekend, downing Vaughan 3-2 and Saint Francis U. 1-0. PSU is 3-2 this spring. Next game: Sun. vs. Navy."

The pre-season game vs. Navy this Sunday is at Penn State's Jeffrey Field at 2 pm.

24. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  25. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nice article about Penn State soccer sophomore Christian Kaschak, who recently danced 46 hours straight in PSU's THON, which rasied over $13 million for the fight against pediatric cancer. As the article relates, Christian decided to dance depsite the fact that he was still in the process of building back to full strength from a torn ACL:

http://www.ydr.com/sports/ci_252602...hristian?IADID=Search-www.ydr.com-www.ydr.com