2014 Outlook and Budget

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by TX Bill, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Trade Bruin :p.

2. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Driver a lot, I like him personally, I like his attitude and I like how he plays. The trouble is he never seemed to play as well after he got hurt. I hope he comes back, and come back in top form.

jvilla07 and JC507 repped this.
  3. SogeJ

SogeJ Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Here's a crazy thought, why not s striker from some minnow concacaf team such as Deon McCaulay? He's a great goalscorer for Belize NT and his wage demands wouldn't be high.

4. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    im sure Dom will find a way to get us a goal scorer. The recent articles indicated that we were scouting England even during the playoffs.....Bruin, Cummings,Barnes and Johnson? Johnson has come on and shown something.Another off season and another camp with Dom and maybe he will break thru....Hes fast and determined and has an eye for goal...those are all important attributes for a striker....

5. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I like the potential of JJas well - he has all the tools but needs learning experiences. That's why I'm disappointed that we aren't in the the interleague cup competition for next year.
    Same goes fo Arena and Ownby - I see potential in them as well but they need games.

6. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear the Riverhounds will be needing 4 of our players.....

7. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    This is why I hate the USL deal. We have plenty of guys that need minutes . . . .but may be too valuable off the bench to be loaned.

8. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Darrell Lovell tweated yesterday there are no plans for a euro scouting trip. Frankly, I think unless/ until there is a trade a proven goal scorer is out of the question.

9. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...winger-driver-seeks-fresh-challenge-1-3221388

10. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I hope that the Dynamo and Driver can reach an agreement.

JC507 repped this.
  11. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. I'm hoping Chabala can stick around, too.

JC507 repped this.
  12. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Story.

Can't remember who posted this story - can't remember where I clicked on it from - but this is a good read.

I went on Google Maps and looked at how much land is around Dick's Sporting Goods Park and Toyota Park. Only crap that's a lot of unused land.

El Naranja repped this.
  13. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong but our deal is vastly different in that AEG et all paid for the stadium via BBVA bank loans (of some sort) while the City/County used their lovely TIRZ funds to fix the infrastructure around/on the site so the loss to taxpayers (really just those in EaDo) is minimal as there were no other large projects slated to use those funds.

Am i remembering that correctly?

14. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #139 newtex, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    Pretty much. However, the TIRZ did not pay the costs directly. They did not have that much cash on hand. They did acquire some debt. The money to pay for the land purchase by the City (and then the County when they agreed to share the costs) and the infrastructure costs were acquired in a loan from BBVA Compass Bank. That loan is being repaid with TIRZ funds on an annual basis. In 2013 the TIRZ was scheduled to pay $1.8 million in principal and interest toward retiring that $35 million dollar debt (that's $15 million for the land and $20 million for the other costs). That is out of the current TIRZ tax revenue of about $3 million for the year. They had paid $1.3 million in 2012 toward the stadium debt.

So there is some TIRZ debt on the stadium project but it is being paid down on schedule. No one else in the City or County is paying anything toward the stadium except to the point that property tax revenues from EaDo are slightly decreased in the general fund.

It is correct that TIRZ funds could only be used for projects in EaDo.

15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go look at the TIRZ 15 budget for next year. You will see that actual TIRZ revenue for fiscal 2013 was below budget yet they still forecast a substantial increase for fiscal 2014. They also somehow didn't pay much interest in 2013 but have a bunch in 2014.

Ultimately these TIRZ projects are the least harmful form of subsidies, but they still reek of government incompetence and mismanagement.

16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Good catch. I didn't see the 2014 budget.

Hmmm. There are some odd numbers in there. I wonder how they were able to pay so little interest in 2013.

Nothing like the Bridgeview deal though. That whole thing is ridiculous. They now owe like three times as much as they paid to build the stadium.

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bridgeview is a future municipal bankruptcy waiting to happen. Disastrous deal. Dynamo deal is very fair to taxpayers

El Naranja repped this.
  18. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool story bros, but we are talking about different budgets here

19. crocken

crocken Member

Jan 28, 2011
    MD
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Post World Cup selling of Boniek, with the group honduras fell into this looks somewhat more likely, no?

20. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully not. I want Boniek to retire here.

21. crocken

crocken Member

Jan 28, 2011
    MD
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I do too, but He'll be almost 30 and dude deserves a bigger pay day, if we can flip the 1 mil(?) transfer fee we paid for 4-8times that its good business, plus I think Ownby deserves a chance, he could be our next wondo.

Is there a list of what MLS teams have received the most from transfers out? I'd love to see that.

Also, who thinks Alex will be a starter come opening day?

22. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Weaver can start at MLS Cup, anybody can start a MLS regular season game

23. The1Brak

The1Brak Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Houston
    Do we not take the draft seriously enough?

footyfool repped this.
  24. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Luis Suarez scored as many goals this week, as Weaver has since 2011 in the league.

25. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    On the bright side over that time we saved about 10 Houston Dynamo team's worth of salary?

footyfool, *rey* and Heft repped this.