2014 Outlook and Budget

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by TX Bill, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question is would Boswell play here for $100K? He's looking at a cut to continue his career in MLS, does he want to swallow his pride to play here? Or do we just move him on?

I think Boswell gets a bit of a bad rap but because of his lack of pace, he tries to cut off plays before they get started which if he misses the tackle, exposes the rest of the backline. He wins most of them, but when he misses its a problem.

dadcoachref, AcetheTigah and JC507 repped this.
  2. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tagging would work too if you are able to do it.

3. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great idea. Add a 30 day training stint with an EPL team before going to Jamaica and you have a recipe for a 20 goal forward next year.

With all due respect.... YUCK!

Barnes is either a 60 minute player or lazy. He may have been our best option in 2013 but we need to upgrade that position.

Driver looks like a super-sub. Able to come on for the last 20 minutes and give a spark against tired defenses. I absolutely hated him on the right and he seemed to disappear for most of the game when he played on the left. He did have flashes of brilliance/took advantage of opportunities like the goal against FCD moments after he came on.

I would trade both of those guys for a less talented young player with a work ethic like BB, Ashe, Davis, Boniek, Clark, heck even Weaver. Hard work can cover lack of talent much more than talent can cover lack of effort. Except in Weaver's case.

AcetheTigah repped this.
  4. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am fine with Weaver if we could some how get his deal down to 70k. He is a fine 4th forward and the only big body we have. He had a part in our goal the other night and he was the only player that could match up with Cahill and Collin. Without Weaver in the NY and SKC games we were dominated in the air.

Michael_D, JC507 and AcetheTigah repped this.
  5. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    #80 AcetheTigah, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    :eek:
    \

Hurlocks CAN change their spots! :)

JC507 repped this.
  6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Not roster related but an interesting tweet from Canetti:

7. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    That answers Boswell question. I suppose we willl find out how many options are exercised about Dec 8

8. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my opinion, Driver looked great up until his achilles injury, he never was really the same after that.

MLSNHTOWN and JC507 repped this.
  9. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Driver is invisible lately except for a run here or there. I wonder if he's still nursing the injury.

10. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    should we sign David Ferriera? He was released from FC Frisco

11. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't he normally spend most of the season hurt?

12. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    My particular take; and it is just my opinion; is that we probably should wait to see which player options are not struck at the end of the year in order to discuss what the needs of the team actually are for next season. We may, through the use of allocation money, see minimal releases and only look to fill 1-2 holes. We don't know yet.

13. camicia arancione

Jan 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we still sign the kid from Duke as a homegrown? Or does he go through the draft because he graduated?

Levy2k6 repped this.
  14. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Homegrown....we get first rights. The issue will be is salary requirements first off. They will likely be too high for hI'm to remain off budget even as HG. I also am not convinced he wants to play in MLS. We shall see....this is the year

15. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ^ This. I believe he will take Euro offers and Euro pay over a Dynamo HG deal.
    Someone mentioned the possibility of him getting a GA deal. I wonder though, how many HG players get offered a significant GA salary? It doesn't seem like many if any do. I might be wrong though.

16. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    He is not eligible for GA. That is for kids leaving early from school.

17. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thx for that. I thought as much. I looked through the list of recent GA's and didn't see any 4 year players or many that were HG signings.

18. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I have mentioned this months ago-Tally is on my death pool list. That's a lot of money for a guy that is a shade better than Deric. It's bad timing with the crazy second performance in Harrison, and uneducated HD fans will be pissed. It will be a PR nightmare. But Tyler and Marshmellow are ready (with the latter as a backup).

BB.com has to go-not worth the value. But what do you do with him?

Omar should go but as pointed out we are on the hook for his salary and unless we find some chump in this league to take him, we're stuck with a lemon.

Carr-he's done. We brought him back to life and resurrected his career, but two knees ops-it's been fun, but he's not coming back.

Weaver-if we keep him, he has to take less money.

I wouldn't move Davis yet, but that' my dilemma, because I am not sure we're going to have takers for him after next season.

I have no clue what's with Driver's deal, but he showed enough to keep him around.

We keep Oscar around for his smile alone-that's worth the DP cash.

Now that I am writing this-damn, we have no forwards. What to do with Bruin? I'd like to keep him, but I am getting the vibe he isn't digging the Bayou City or it's fans. If that's the case, I am pretty sure we can move him. But that worsens our problems up top IMO.

Rico? That's a tough one. He's been solid, but he's had so many different injuries over the years. We might not have the option to move him after that heart/cardio thing he had going this summer. Other teams might stay away-if that's the case, keep him.

19. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wants:
    -Move Bruin
    -Move Hall
    -Sign BB.com at 125k (150k is more realistic)
    -Sign Ihbedga
    -Find a way to get another 1st rounder
    -Find a way to save money on Cummings/Driver/Barnes combine salary. Whether its through contact changes, or trading or releasing one.

-I think we should hold on to Weaver, but I could see him be moved (Bruin wont get move as i want above). His 100k still is a good price for a veteran forward and his size makes him unique. Can yall imagine SKC with Weaver? He would start every road game and they would grind out 1-1 draws or 1-0 wins behind headers from weaver and collin off of throwins.

20. OrdinaryOrangeFan

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Erich Marscheider tweeted "thanks" to the Dynamo organization today. Looks like we have the first player that won't be back in 2014.

21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine that by sometime next week they will put out the full option decision list. NE put theirs out last week.

22. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. DynamoHum

DynamoHum Member

Jul 4, 2008
  24. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe not. If the Dynamo are moving one, then it becomes very important who the backup is. They would want to go out and get an experienced #2. If they keep both, then it doesnt really matter who is you number 3 keeper is so they may as well keep Erich around unless he wanted out. Kinda tough position for him to be behind those two.

25. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Might be out already at least privately. I think December 1 is the notice date other than Cup teams.