2014 Outlook and Budget

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by TX Bill, Nov 23, 2013.

1. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Yup. I didn't even had to say it or imply it. GK is probably the only position where we have someone ready and itching to start. Either we start him or he goes somewhere else for playing time.

Just go down the phonebook and look at all the teams in need of a keeper that have either allocation money or draft picks to trade. This has nothing to do with performance whatsoever, but about fielding a competitive team in the next 2-3 years. I mean look at RSL and the salaries/players they had to dump and look where they may be after tonight.

JC507 repped this.
  2. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, I love tally but if it comes to releasing tally or a Boniek, c'mon, we have a damn good backup keeper ready to start for the next ten years.

3. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cummings for EJ. Straight up.

BB makes mistakes but look at his minutes. A rock in the middle, most of the time. I wonder what he would do in a 3 man rotation with some time off.

Bruin reminds me of Wondo. He's doing almost everything right. If the light comes on he's going to be a scorer.

dadcoachref repped this.
  4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is Bruin is coming off of a GA contract and probably has an option with some decent level of money or wants something more to re-sign with MLS. Wondo wasn't making much money up until a few years ago so you could afford to have kept him around and if he stunk, so what.

JC507 repped this.
  5. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    You can feel free to put your own list together if you have more definitive information

6. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I am pretty sure Ibeghea is graduating which means he is not eligible for GA. So to sign him, we would have to take the budget hit right away (unless he is cheap enough to stay on the off-budget list as a Homegrown.)

As for restructuring; it is an interesting option. Other leagues do it often but we are talking about shifting millions. Here, I am not sure guys would be motivated to do that. Ching did it but that was just to play one more year. Davis is not there.

7. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    He was off this year . . or rather he graduated after last season but is still on the same contract (one more year I believe). Those deals typically don't have a lot of escalators as they start pretty high. Of course there are exceptions but my guess is the typically 5-10% raise. Of course, you are right in that next year is likely an option for the club.

8. DNez2001

DNez2001 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston 'burb
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's going to be hard to swallow, as Tally has made us nearly forgot the "nobody beats Pat Onstead" chant, and a tough keeper is worth his weight in gold. We better get something REALLY good if we lose him, because uncertainty will follow his move if it happens. I agree Deric has skills, but Tally is heat tempered and seasoned, and I'd rather build with a weaker D-line than with a weaker goalie. Thus in a choice of Boswell v Hall, I think Boswell has to go. To lose them both could be decimating, or at least quite a risk.

Omar's not going anywhere, unless we eat some of his salary, which we're in no position to do. I was a little surprised he didn't start last night to try and stretch KC and keep their wings honest. I think he could have gone 90 as well. Here's hoping his nagging injuries are behind him, because he and Bruin need to gel in the offseason.

I agree we're not finding a better forward than Bruin for the money, and he knows our system. Bruin needs to take a Jamaican vacation this year with JJ, Taylor and Cummings and come back with a new attitude.

I'm a Driver and Barnes fan - I like their style of footy, their tenacity, and I think they had to add a LOT to the professionalism of the locker room. I don't know how they hit the cap in 2014, but I hope we can keep them.

I think Weaver's gone. Our height of the front line will drop with the loss of his 6'4" frame, but the days of exclusively dumping in from the wings is in our review mirror with he and Ching gone.

The elephant in the room is Davis. It might be a brilliant move to get a nugget for him now, but I'm hoping we can get some discretionary allocation from the league to keep him in Orange for the rest of his career. He is a class act in all senses of the word.

My bet is one of Davis-Boswell-Hall are gone in 2014 unless the league helps us out. I suspect we are in for more uncertainty and a lot more risk in 2014 than we have now. Honestly - I'd go to war in 2014 with the exact same roster if the league would let us.

tigerheadsaints and troutseth repped this.
  9. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    THIS is a very interesting point and one I had not thought of until now. We could resign/restructure a contract or two and request some league money on the new deal. I think the focus has been on younger players, but Davis is an interesting choice.

My numbers above don't count any allocation money other than pointing out we will not have much relative to the rest of the league. Something like this could be a curve ball in our favor.

10. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea I was thinking same thing like Zusi, although his was Nat team money but I'm sure the league would help us out, lmao, actually I don't.

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we already got league help or permission to use allocation money on Davis' current contract. Would they help us out twice on the same player? You can make the case he's a national team pool guy and perennial star skill player in the league.

My guess is we pull all the levers we can.

12. OneTerryHurlock

Aug 24, 2006
    I think we let boswell and davis go

both on the downside of their careers have been wonderful for us but time to kove on

keep Tally/JT/Rico/Creaville/Boniek/Bruin/Driver/Weaver/Kofi/Brunner/Ashe everyone else up for grabs

defo get rid of cummings and johnson if possible

13. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    We guessed we might of, but he was not on that published list of retention money signings so who knows.

14. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Johnson does not hit budget..no reason to let him go. Davis and Cummings would require trades....tough at their salaries.

JC507 repped this.
  15. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #65 Heft, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    JJ is cheap, and has a ton of upside. He's fast, and is a really tall guy. I think he'll fit into Dom's system pretty soon.

*Edit
    He's not very tall, but a respectable 6'. Looks taller than he really is, but can get some air.

Grimmjow316, troutseth and JC507 repped this.
  16. OneTerryHurlock

Aug 24, 2006
    Johnson will be out of the league when his GA contract is up; as for cummings he is a shadow of his former self

17. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You've always been a great judge of talent. :p

JC507 repped this.
  18. OneTerryHurlock

Aug 24, 2006
    still not sold on ashe personally, but Barrett was fiinished way before he git roasted by ricahrds in conf final game

johnson was a bad pick end of story we should have tried to trade up for the local 17 year old kekuta way more upside

check out the draft thred i think that was pretty good judgement

Levy2k6 repped this.
  19. OneTerryHurlock

Aug 24, 2006
    since you have only been around since 11 you probably don't remember that

20. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mods, feel free to merge into Trouseth's new thread.

21. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep Brunner but in his current role as a backup to the two CB's. I think he excels at that but no quite starter material. We need a new CB to partner Taylor, that much is certain. If Boswell stays, then have him coming off the bench.

22. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mods...get out of here. Lmao

Edit:
    I tried to tag the mods but it didn't work via mobile. Just report this post and they will get right on it

Art Vandaley and JC507 repped this.
  23. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sold on Ashe yet?

Johnson a bad pick?

*facepalm

JC507 repped this.
  24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is one answer:

JC507 repped this.
  25. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Bobby has really worked out in the past. One of my favorite players. The team has to move on though.

JC507 repped this.