2014 Outlook and Budget

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by TX Bill, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What concerns me is that we don't really have many guys who would be a candidate for the "DeRo for Julius James" salary dump trade that we could afford to give up. Maybe Tally Hall for a draft pick and allocation money? You don't trade Davis, Garcia, or Clark IMO and most of our other parts we would be willing to part with are not desirable for other teams at their current salaries.

JC507 repped this.
  2. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    You hit on precisely the issue. I think when push comes to shove, we will need to part ways with a few players that we don't want to see go. People will get up in arms but not a whole lot of choice. As to your above list, I honestly don't think any trade is off the table . . . and i do mean any.

3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the other option is to trade some cheaper guys who could start elsewhere on under market contracts for allocation money, but that seems less likely. Tough to see them trading Garcia. Davis and Clark I suppose because at their age they could tail off quicker than others but still just hard for me to see them moving those guys.

JC507 repped this.
  4. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Tough for me to see it too....but I don't much is off the table

5. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So should we be shopping Hall around? Maybe to England? Or keep him in the MLS and shoot for multiple draft slots?

I'd still love to see Justin Braun in orange. When he played for Chivas USA, I hated playing against him with the way he moves the ball. He hasn't had much room to score playing for Toronto (no surprise?).

Would Davis be open to taking a pay cut?

Omar making what he makes this season, cut, keep, or trade?

6. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd still love to see Justin Braun in orange. When he played for Chivas USA, I hated playing against him with the way he moves the ball. He hasn't had much room to score playing for Toronto (no surprise?).

Loan deal for Giovani Dos Santos? Having a nice season with Villarreal. 8 goals in 13 games so far this season.

7. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    2 guys on my list: Brad Davis or Tally Hall. Only because both of them may go along way in solving our cap issues and because they have substantial MLS value not because they've been bad Dynamo players.

MLSNHTOWN and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  8. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who would replace Davis as the left winger?

As for Hall: I'm not worried about losing him. There's Deric and Marscheider.

edit: However, Davis is 32 years old. Davis and "retiring" haven't been seen in the same sentence yet.

9. pankfish

pankfish Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

If you get rid of Davis I think you might as well go ahead and just reshuffle the entire deck. I don't think you can just plug somebody into his spot on this team without making this team worse.

The strange thing is I want to say this team needs to rebuild because they just aren't good enough. But then they are always in the cup final or one game away from it. It just feels like we are getting there by upsetting better teams, and when we finally do get beat we look like we are the worse team on the field by a large margin.

We are gritty I guess.

10. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It's possible to build the team around Boniek, and Clark. If Davis is to be traded, or sold then now is the time. @*rey* may be onto something here. I would hope to be able to hold onto Tally Hall. He pretty much kept us in the playoff zone this season. Bruin, Davis, Sarkodie and Ashe could probably be traded for easily.

JC507 repped this.
  11. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get a replacement. Play him in Davis' position - gradually building up minutes over the next 2-3-4 years. Wouldn't make any sense to bring someone in as Davis is leaving.

And not saying that EVERYONE (minus Ching) will be here, but after four years, about half of the current Dynamo roster will be in their 30s.

12. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to hold on to Sarkodie. Only 22 years old. Same with Ashe. Keep the defensive wingers.

We could get some goodies for Bruin given his age and potential. I can't see getting much for Davis. He's got a great left foot, but his career is nearing.

JC507 repped this.
  13. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ashe - Brunner - Taylor - Sarkodie

Opinions?

14. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'd like to hold on to everyone, but I believe that Troutseth is correct in assuming that the Dynamo are going to need to make some trades to stay below the cap. I like the Dynamo fullbacks and would hope to keep them, but Ashe is pretty valuable with his speed.

I think that there were some serious mistakes made this season in the back. I think a serious investment needs to made at CB. Taylor is a keeper because he can also play at LB if needed, but he has been injury prone as well. There are some hard questions to be answered by the Dynamo.

15. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Dynamo could even try to trade off Rico Clark. He has the skills that other teams need. Servando Carrasco is about ready to be a starter.

16. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the base salary of the 2013 MLS Player Salaries as of Sept. 15, 2013, if the Dynamo trade away or release Boswell (~$220,000), Bruin (~$120,000), and Hall (~$185,000), that'll free up ~$525,000 of space.

If Cummings is going to make next year what he made this year (~$225,000), he's going to either need to be a starter, be traded, or be released. If the Dynamo release Cummings along with the names above, that'll free up ~$750,000 of space.

17. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Cannot release a guaranted contract...you are still on the hook for the money and I doubt Cummings has trade value yet.
    In your above list releasing those players gets us to even still no budget to replace them so has to be more

18. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Using words like "roughly", "likely", "may", and "should" don't "really" help.

19. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Disagree - Carrasco is slower, shorter and not as strong on the ball. No way he can fill Rico's shoes at AM or as a DM

20. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rico is off the table. Guy is way too valuable.

See about restructuring Davis' contract. Backload it or incentify it if possible.

Talk to Sebastian Ibeghea...see what it'd take to bring him in. If he can be coaxed with a GenAd deal, that'd go a long way to solving defensive issues for free. Shop Boswell.

We've some fantastic keepers in the Academy/Collegiate ranks. Might be worth it to shop Tally and give Tyler his chance while keeping close eye on the kiddos.

If Omar is back, cut Calen (if healthy...otherwise we're stuck with him until he heals). We saw why we brought in Omar. I still think that he and Bruin can really tear it up. With Bruin being on a contract year next year, he'll be super motivated to bag 16 goals again. Omar can help.

21. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I think you're right about Tally either we sell Tally and give Tyler his chance or trade Tyler and some other player to help with some other percieved need. I think we may be a year too early on selling Tally but we may have no choice due to salary constraints. It depends on Tally wants to do - go now or stay for a couple more years.

22. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm not sure that anyone is "off the table".

23. madmatt621

madmatt621 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $274,000 this year. Almost anyone that makes $200,000 or more is on the table in my books.

24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canetti was on the Keeper Notes show this morning. I listened to his segment on the way home from church (yes, haters do go to church) and he was fairly diplomatic that all players were under team contract or control and that while we had budget issues, he certainly implied it was manageable. Of course, I didn't think he'd say we've already had trade discussions with teams for dumping veterans

*rey* and JC507 repped this.
  25. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boniek and Clark are off the table, believe that.

Tally is the best chance to open up space without needing to find a replacement. Deric is not much of a drop off if at all. Brunner can start next year so Boswell can go, I love his leadership and organization of the back line but he's getting too old. That's over 400k there. I don't see how you replace bruin for 120k. Cummings at 220 is where we could make a change, but who would trade for him???

Dynamo_Forever and *rey* repped this.