2014 NWSL Season - TV and Streaming (Thread)

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by WPS_Movement, Mar 2, 2014.

1. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  2. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    The assumption here is that the TV package will be with Fox again, and that the # of games televised will be slightly > = to last year.

So maybe 9 regular season games + 3 playoff games = 12 total matches that are nationally televised?

3. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This part I have mixed feelings about. I'd love to have the games on tv, but I would like to have them online as well. What I'd like to see happen is for all the games on TV to be posted on YouTube a couple days after so fans who don't have the station airing the matches can still see them.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    There were only 84 games last year in the regular season.
    This year, due to expansion, and larger schedules (24 game schedule per team), there are 108 games now.
    That's an increase of 24 games, or close to 30% more (84 * 1.3 = 109.2, so that's almost 30% more).

No more than 20 games will be televised.
    If so, 108 - 20 = 88 games that you'd still get to watch that are streamed, which is still more than last year.

5. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Me too. But I'd say just keep the local production for those games and (if they must*) geo-block them so that the US can't watch them live, but all the international viewers can still watch it live. And then let the US viewers watch the replay 24 hours later.

* I know I'd watch the TV broadcast over the web stream any day, so I don't think it would hurt them for it to be available simultaneously online.

lunatica repped this.
  6. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Anyone else still up for an "NSWL Live" platform?
    Super HD and camera technology, $39.95 for the year, all 100+ matches, no matter if they're on TV or not.
    Better commentators, and perfect video and stream quality.

Would you pay $39.95 for it?

7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    No news on TV = TV deal didn't get done?

8. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
  9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    NWSL wasn't part of the deal. Cheryl Bailey mentioned at the Sky Blue game last week NWSL had its own TV deal in the works and should be announced this week.

10. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i guess we'll have to own it that without the clout of the other members of the soccer family it will be an ugly step sister deal.

11. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Sort of like last year's six-game TV deal in the final six weeks of the regular season.
    It's not the most prominent deal when only like 6% of your regular season matches are on national TV.

12. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    For the MLS this is great. Sunday will be the leagues National TV day so everyone will know when it will be on. Likelyy keeping saturdays as the main day on the schedule with clubs being televised with their local broadcaster.
    For those who like to bash the MLS National TV numbers havng just the two National games of the week on sundays will not have fans drawn to their home team and their local broadcaster

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Considering what a weak draw the NWSL is at the moment, I'm not surprised USSF didn't want to bundle it and potentially lessen the value of the NT games.

14. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I just hope the NWSL doesn't have to pay for them to be broadcasted. Might as well just keep it on YouTube in that case.

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    WPS paid for its FOX broadcasts, as did NWSL last season. Until NWSL starts being a good draw (either in the stands and/or for sponsors) they'll be paying for any TV contract they get, I'm afraid.

16. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Then they should keep it to YouTube. There really isn't enough exposure from the games being on Fox Sports 2 or Fox Soccer Plus to make it worth it, IMHO.

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Besides the National TV, the Thorns also have a local deal with CSN ( Comcast Sports NorthWest) for a few games. I'm pretty sure they aren't paying for them. Judging from previous local tv deals, they might even glean a little, if only in some commercial rights.

http://www.rosecitysoccerpress.com/...horns-home-matches-broadcast-locally-csn.html

The only issue is that, similar to the Blazers, 3 of the 4 local providers have never been able to ink a deal with Paul Allen's Comcast. So the web stream remains the best way to see them.

18. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    This.

TV is overrated especially if it is a channel that no one gets and you have to pay for it. Invest that money in the online streams and see how best to generate revenue from there.

19. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    This league will not survive without any TV coverage.

CoachJon repped this.
  20. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Looky Looky, FCKC is the first non-MLS affiliated team to have a local TV broadcast

21. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not believe there is justification for not web streaming games which are being carried on TV. It does not appear that web viewership really competes with television viewership significantly. Somewhere I remember that the TV viewership for NWSL games last year was in the neighborhood of 100,000 +/- per game. I did find that Equalizer reported 63,000 TV viewers for the Spirit-Reign game in mid-July 2013.

FWIW, the first seven YouTube games on the NWSL YouTube channel for 2014 I opened show "views" , which I rounded: 4000, 6000, 4000, 15000 (Breakers at Reign), 19000(Thorns at Dash season opener), 7000, 8000. Plus, the second Thorns-Dash game had 3000 views. Just for crude comparison of YouTube views vs. TV viewers, the average of the above YouTube views is 8000. That represents 13% of 63,000 TV viewers and 8% of 100,000 TV viewers. And that assumes that none of the web viewers will switch to TV viewing.

I can't believe that the value to sponsors or networks for NWSL TV games is any different if a game has 55,000 vs. 63,000 viewers or if it has 92,000 vs. 100,000 viewers. None of those numbers carry much weight.

For the NFL, web vs. TV matters. For NWSL it does not. STREAM THE TV GAMES!

22. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If they are going to webcast games they need to be on the top streaming ESPN3. Taking the teams that have a local broadcaster and placing that Broadcast on ESPN3 is what ESPN3 does with many leagues.
    The USSF and ESPN paertnership is already there if they want to give the NWSL itsw best exposure would be through ESPN3, ESPNW websight and ESPN can begin to place some matches on one of their Cable networks whether it be ESPN2 or even ESPNNews
    FS2, FSGO, and Youtube do not compare to any of the ESPN outlets.

23. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  24. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
  25. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+