2014 NWSL season prediction contest

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Mar 30, 2014.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Alright, since we have well over half of preseason done now, I thought it would be a good time to open the floor to making season predictions. Points values for standings predictions are, by and large, increased due to the fact we have another team involved (and I want to make these standings predictions a little more important in the overall contest).

So! Here's how I'm thinking the scoring will work:
    Remember that playoffs are 4@1 and 3@2, so make those predictions based on your standing predictions accordingly! You won't be beholden to these playoff predicition when postseason actually rolls around - when we get to those final three games, you'll be predicting based on what teams are still alive, not what you though before the season started, of course.

I'll start a Week 1 prediction thread in the near future.

holden, CoachJon and ForeverLOST108 repped this.
  2. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    1. Seattle - My heart and head says Seattle wins the regular season title. While they have a lot of world class stars, I think where they have the advantage is with the NT players away, they still have a really decent team.
    2. FCKC - This was really between FCKC and WNY but I give the edge to FCKC.
    3. WNY - Should not suffer too much during international breaks.
    4. Portland - This again was a toss up between Portland and Chicago. They both have fire power (Morgan, Heath, Catley vs Press, Tancredi) returning mid season. But whereas Heath and Morgan have played in the NWSL, Press and Tancredi haven't and there may be a learning curve there.
    5. Chicago - See above
    6. Washington - I think coaching change and the new attitude in the players will have a positive effect.
    7. Boston - Toss up between them and Washington for top spot.
    8. Houston - This team have everything going for them including a good coach, MLS backing etc, however, I just do not think the talent is there.
    9. SBFC - It's sad to see what is happening next door but I just don't know what is going on with SB. They may break Washington record last year of least scored goals.

Playoffs
    1. Seattle vs 4. Portland
    2. FCKC vs 3. WNY

Championship
    Seattle vs WNY

3. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    1) Portland
    2) New York Flash
    3) Kansas City
    4) Houston
    5) Sky Blue
    6) Seattle
    7) Boston
    8) Chicago
    9) Washington

Playoffs:
    Portland over Houston
    NY over KC

Final
    Portland over NY

4. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    l. Seattle. Shaky defense last year, so Solo is going to have to be better this year. Not bad last year, but not the best GK in the league either.
    2. KC. Lots of talent.
    3. Portland. Ditto.
    4, Chicago -- I don't have a clue who might come in fourth, but I liked the tenacious way Chicago played last year -- and Press is coming for to give them additonal firepower in the second half.
    5 WNY. Wambach and Lloyd are both a year older, but Carli has looked good recently. Franch is a big, big loss. Could be worse than I've got them here.
    6. Sky Blue -- I might be overrating them. I havent followed them much offseason -- but the prediction assumes that Devanna and Ocampo are back. Without those two I might put them in last place.
    7. Washington -- I might be overrating them because I'm a Washington fan. Who's going to score?
    8. Houston -- It's tough to be a new team; I wasn't impressed with their draft from other teams. Who's going to score?
    9. Boston. Leroux-less, who's going to score?

Playoffs: Seattle over Chicago.
    Portland over KC. KC seems less than the sum of its parts.

Final: Seattle over Portland

5. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    You really are not lying when you said you haven't been follow SB. They traded DeVanna to Boston. I'm not sure how this affects your prediction

6. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of lost this contest after week 3 last year. Did better with my Fantasy Team tho.

I also remember destroying the curve to some peoples disliking :laugh:

I have a feeling its going to be a lot closer this year. I see WNY not being a bad team, but having a chance to make the playoffs with a win or falling to last place with a loss on the last weekend of competition. It will all be up for grabs until the very end, and we will see teams separated by 1 or 2 points and goal differentials.

1) FCKC
    2) Chicago Red Stars
    3) Houston Dash
    4) Seattle Reign
    5) Portland Thorns
    6) Boston Breakers
    7) Washington Spirit
    8) Sky Blue
    9) WNY Flash

KC defeats Reign in Semi 1
    Red Stars defeat Dash in Semi 2

KC takes it all.

7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to wait until the rosters are finalized before I make my final picks.

8. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    1. FC Kansas City
    2. Seattle Reign FC
    3. Chicago Red Stars
    4. Western New York Flash
    5. Portland Thorns
    6. Sky Blue FC
    7. Washington Spirit
    8. Boston Breakers
    9. Houston Dash

Playoffs:
    FCKC over WNY
    Seattle over Chicago

Final:
    FCKC over Seattle

9. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    1) FCKC
    4) Seattle Reign
    5) Portland Thorns
    9) WNY Flash

Forwards win in this league. Press arrives too late to Chicago.

Sinclair Morgan Angerer > Solo Sydney Beverly

Portland

That's enough to get Clive drunk.

BTW, while people have been fighting about the forwards, Good Ole Hope done lost a step, didn't put 1 finger on 7 balls in the Vacation Cup.

Angerer > Solo

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Alright, I was going to hold out until every team had played at least one preseason game before making my predictions, and as Seattle played their first game yesterday, I think I can make my predictions now. I see three tiers of teams this year:

1. SEA -- Too stacked, already seem to be gelling, and I don't see last year's top 3 as confident at the moment
    2. POR -- Toss-up between KC and POR, just like last year. Giving a slight edge to POR because of Riley
    3. KC --- See above

4. WNY -- I'm dropping to the bottom playoff spot because losing Franch was just that big a hit. They'll still make the playoffs, but only because of their great attack.
    5. CHI -- Toss-up between CHI and HOU; giving a slight edge to CHI just from experience.
    6. HOU - HOU will still impress this year, I think, as it's basically the US u23, including the coach, plus some extra top-notch players.

7. DC --- Unless Dunn grows quickly into her hype, I don't see this year's Spirit being incredibly better than last year's. But it's still better.
    8. BOS -- Toss up between NJ and BOS for the final two slots, IMO. Too many questions for both, and some odd office decisions as well. I don't believe in Durkin, even if they've pasted
    9. NJ --- Only hitting the bottom of my list (vsBOS) as their preseason is easily the weakest in the league.

----------

Also, just so everyone knows: you can change your predictions until kickoff on opening day.

11. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sorry, I had to quote on this one. You think those rookie forwards will carry Houston when rookies tend to due subpar in this physical league, so Ohai and the Brasilian may combine for 5 together, not separately. Hence, Hou is cleaning up at the bottom with Boston. Dunn is the real deal but got a bum deal around her. NJ's defense will carry team again. Rampone is sliding but very few power house forwards in the NWSL to challenge herb and Ohara (JG can't be stupid enough to put her up top again). NJ > Houston and Washing and Boston.

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #12 MRAD12, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    1. FC Kansas City - 2014 NWSL Champion
    2. Seattle Reign
    3. Portland Thorns
    4. Chicago Red Stars
    5. WNY Flash
    6. Houston Dash
    7. Boston Breakers
    8. Washington Spirit
    9. Sky Blue

I have FCKC winning the whole thing. Take a look at their roster, folks. They have 5 USWNT players. When Lepielbet is ready she can fill in one of the outside back rolls. Don't forget they have Sarah Hagen coming in in June. If Holiday plays like she did last year and Tymrak keeps doing her thing and Sauerbrunn anchors the defense, with A-rod up front this is a strong, strong team. Oh yeah, they also have the best DM in the league IMO, in Jen Buzckowski. There is a reason why she has played almost every minute of every game for every team she has ever played for. Coaches love her. She is a rock.

I also like their coach, Andonovski. This guy gets it. He just won the MISL indoor Championship with the men and I'm sure he wants to follow up with a Championship with the women. They also have a strong bench of players that would start on other teams. Seattle, IMO is nowhere near as stacked as FCKC and Portland may have the crowd behind them, but I don't see a stacked team there. Not like Kansas City.

If they don't melt down (which I don't think they will this time) and barring injuries to key players, there is no way that FC Kansas City does not win the 2nd NWSL Championship.

13. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    like i've said, after sermanni burns, i'd like to see andon interview for the wnt job. as far as kc goes, their back-line will be under-siege without scott. if riley figured out how to play a-rod and tasha, then forgot about what he will do in portland. sydney will give them headaches with a much better squad around her, and they will lack the physical presence to stop her. i feel for lines if the sahlens can't pull a rabbit and bring marta in for half a season in june.

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, for one, you're ignoring all of Houston's other options at forward (and attacking mid). Second, you're ignoring the amount of gelling this team already has. Third, why go after me when others before me put HOU at 3 and 4?
    On paper, yes, it should. But NJ is a fractured team this year. There's only so much Rampone can do. (And I fully expect O'hara to be up front again as well, just based on who else NJ has on DF and MF.)

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    My hope for NJ is they resist the urge to move O'Hara up (yes she tore up the league last year o_O Nice move Gabarra.) and play Caitlin Foord up top instead. It wont get them in the top half but at least they will score.

lunatica repped this.
  16. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    30FElla Masar
    12FTiffany McCarty

22FStephanie Ochs

Och 1 goal
    Masar ok
    McCarty ?
    Ohai johnny on the spot rookie
    Brasilian fancy dribbling rookie

Welcome to the bottom of the draw.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    1 Seattle - Im not sold on Leroux in their system but I also dont think they need her.
    2 Kansas City - They have a system that makes them easy chances and a defense that doesnt give up easy ones.
    3 WNY - They have a better offense than last year tho defense has suffered.
    4 Portland - Better coach and more fire power but still worried about the midfield.
    5 Chicago - If they had Press all season Id move them up. Gritty on both ends.
    6 Boston - I think DeVanna/Sanderson is great combo just worried they give up more than they score
    7 SkyBlue - Defense is still solid but they wont score much
    8 Washington - Still a couple players away but more competitive than last year.
    9 Houston - even if their young forwards score all their best defenders r out or coming late.

Seattle over Portland
    KC over WNY

Seattle wins the prize

Houston wins the Morgan Brian sweepstakes.

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ochs will score at least four, I'm betting, probably more. She didn't do well with the Spirit last year, yeah, but her confidence will be way up after her stint in Oz, and she's got many more familiar faces around her now.
    Masar will be, if not a scorer herself, a great enabler.
    McC I'm not as sold on, but I definitely see her doing better than last year as well, for the same reasons as Ochs.

You're also ignoring the attacking capabilities of Noyola and Washington.

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I realize I completely forgot to make my playoff predictions!

Semi 2-3: KC returns the favor by beating POR in POR
    Semi 1-4: WNY breaks SEA's hearts
    Final: KC takes the title.

20. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You act like there is no precedence for a rookie to make a big impact. Tymrak was not rookie of the year last year just because the league felt like they had to pick someone.

21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    As I said earlier, even if u think their young scorers come thru, their whole defensive line is gone. It's gonna be an uphill climb.

22. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    You are going to eat crow very soon ... but then again, that is your steady diet, isn't it ? ;)

23. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Actually, i make some of the hottest and point on predictions. They are scoring college teams. Geez, Ohara was scoring on college teams last year and look what happen. they are young, and masar and ochs aren't carrying that team. i also predicted that Brian Cushing would get his prize. ;)

24. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland
    Seattle
    WNY
    FCKC
    Chicago
    Washington
    SBFC
    Houston
    Boston

FCKC over Portland
    Seattle over WNY

Seattle over FCKC

Bonus picks
    Carli Lloyd - MVP and Golden Boot
    Crystal Dunn - ROY
    Sauerbrunn - DOY
    Solo - GOY
    Harvey - COY

25. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations. You made a prediction that anyone with any amount of common sense could make. Do you realize how completely stupid you look all the time? Making "bold" predictions based on your paranoid fantasies is pathetic.