2014 Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by gogogo, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Bronco Bill

Bronco Bill New Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Santa Clara, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you mentioned the pregnancy I thought you might be on to something. Someone probably described her pregnancy as her "Going with God" and someone else overheard and misinterpreted that as "She's going to Notre Dame!"

If it had been a Tarhell fan they would have thought, "She's having Anson's baby!"

But alas, unless the former ND players are pulling a prank the latest Valley News link confirms the rumors. A little odd ND is waiting so long to announce.

2. sjsharkie2000

sjsharkie2000 New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Following the George O'Leary resume situation with that other football team at ND a few years ago, ND has been overly cautious when it comes to going through all of that protocols and procedures with coaching hires (background checks, etc.) before they are made official. I wouldn't read anything into the delay except that it's likely just doing due diligence on the part of ND before making it official.

3. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Sorry but I don't have those :)

4. iloveny

iloveny Member

Oct 5, 2009
    On the contrary, one might think you were very BALLSY with some of the actions you had taken, and physically, I'm sure there's a very small pair there somewhere if you dig deep enough!

5. iloveny

iloveny Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Also, best of luck to Notre Dame!

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Still no official word. How long does it take to check out someones resume? jeez.

When you apply for a car loan or apply to rent an apt,, they can check out your whole life work history, credit history, background check, etc. and all in a manner of 15 minutes. What are they waiting on?

7. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    The ND admin is notoriously, um, deliberate with all matters related to pretty much all matters, though HR is particularly so.

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I've seen CIA security clearances take less time.

9. saladking

saladking Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Its a done deal. So lets all relax and allow ND to take care of their business:cool:

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, the next chapter of Notre Dame soccer begins. She's got big shoes to fill, a long list of well known soccer alumni and a passionate fan base to make happy.

I see Kate Markgraff gave her 2 cents in the article and I'm also curious as to what ND greats such as Shannon Boxx, Melissa Henderson, Jen grubb, Monica Gonzalez and others feel about the future of the program they helped to build.

And from a big fan of the women's college game and from a man who has seen most of them, I hope that the best rivalry in college soccer over the last 20 years, continues between Notre Dame and North Carolina.

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    BTW, does anyone know if she has started coaching already? Will she be on the sidelines for the upcoming exhibition games?

12. GeauxIrish

GeauxIrish Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Theresa's interview which was embedded in the press release announcing her hire indicated she and her entire family had already made the move to ND and she was settling in. I would expect her to coach the spring games starting in two days. Off topic, I hope she keeps Dawn & Corey as assistant coaches though that remains to be seen (as she'll likely evaluate her staff this spring and any changes would likely not manifest themselves until August). Off topic again, the ND roster is already overloaded, but I wonder if the New Zealand WNT U20 player at Dartmouth might consider following her coach to ND?

13. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I like the hire OK so I'm not being critical BUT would they have had EIGHT quotes from other people about the coach if this was Jerry Smith or Steve Swanson, or even Dave Nolan? Answer = no, and it does seem a bit defensive. Even Bobby Clark starts by saying: "From everyone I have spoken with, I have heard..." Maybe the delay was getting the 8 quotes!

It is a tall order and I wish her the best but I have a feeling it will get worse before it gets better mainly because she's just SO DIFFERENT than Randy. Not necessarily worse long-term but big adjustments in the short term. I think her credibility with the current players and incoming recruits will be the issue and it will be hard for those outside to know that since we aren't at every training session and meeting and recruiting visit. How the assistants are handled and whether good players start migrating toward or away from ND will be a sign.

14. AnsonBlonde

AnsonBlonde Member

Jul 27, 2007
    So you're counting the testimonials thinking it's proof-positive that Notre Dame is what, "defensive" of the hire?

Just like you thought Amanda Cromwell was hiding her UM-Baltimore stint, only because UCLA didn't mention it with its initial announcement of her hiring.

Idiocy.

15. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    First, I typically don't insult people to make a point. It's a sign of weakness. Like when terrible players resort to fouling because they're being outclassed.
    I don't think "seems a bit defensive" is equivalent in English to "proof positive" but I stand by my statement. If you think EIGHT quotes is not over doing it just a bit to prove they have a qualified coach, then we can disagree. I won't pull a Clive on you with a statistical challenge but I don't think you'll find many hires like this with 8 quotes in the press release. And if you can find me a clip of an interview in writing or on video of Amanda Cromwell talking about her valuable experience at UMBC or what she learned there or even what the food or weather was like, I'd like to see that.
    Bobby Clark likely had the most time of anyone to prepare a statement for the SID and he did not say "we've got a great coach" or "one of the best young coaches in the country" or even "she's going to do great things at Notre Dame" he choose to begin his statement after careful thought and consideration with "From everyone I have spoken with, I have heard..."
    So, I suppose some folks reading that would say it's a ringing endorsement.... time will tell.

16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Amana Cromwell must have really sucked. She got no testimonials whatever in the UCLA announcement.

http://dailybruin.com/2013/04/12/amanda-cromwell-named-as-uclas-new-womens-soccer-coach/

AnsonBlonde repped this.
  17. AnsonBlonde

AnsonBlonde Member

Jul 27, 2007
    I suppose hiring Jerry Smith would have warranted a volume of endorsements, along with celebratory parade in South Bend. Idiot.

18. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I think you just both made my point. And calling Jerry Smith an idiot doesn't help at all... although his original quotes about Notre Dame when he used them to get a contract renewal where shameful.

19. AnsonBlonde

AnsonBlonde Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Sorry for the confusion, idiot.

20. Madfox

Madfox New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    My daughter played for Notre Dame for three seasons under Randy. When she was a U10 player, her coaches family boarded Theresa when she played for the CyberRays for 2 years and we saw her a number of times with the team and even saw her play with the pro team. Over the years we ran into her at the Surf Cup tournaments when she was coaching down there. We even briefly chatted when Notre Dame played Stanford for the two years she was there. I think she is going to be great for the team and I predict they will be even better this year. She is inheriting a very talented roster and will take full advantage of it. This is a huge opportunity for her and Notre Dame recognized her potential before she became too well known so they possibly overjustified it to show they didn't just settle for any 3rd year coach. It if works out she could be the coach at the school for quite a while.

By the way, Dawn also played on the CyberRays as the backup Goalkeeper to Lekeysia Beene but it was the season after Theresa left the team.

21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Was your daughter a goalkeeper at ND?

22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the reason ND used eight quotes was to attempt to quell some of the "idiocy" that has showed up on BS and, likely, other places including perhaps some ND blogs?

23. SakiBomb25

SakiBomb25 Member

Nov 13, 2004
    It just dawned on me that this is the former Theresa Wagner that just got hired at Notre Dame. I remember her way back when I was at the University of San Diego. I spoke with her a few times and she's very knowledgable about the game and a great coach.

She's young, but I think she's proven herself and will do a great job at Notre Dame. Congrats!

24. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Irish at Marquette for a spring match tomorrow - it could reach a balmy 40 degrees. Looking forward to see how this talented squad develops under Coach Theresa. I had the same thought as Eddie K re Bobby Clark's quote - the hearsay approach seemed pretty lame. They need some crisper editing in the sports info department. Welcome, Coach, and Go Irish!