2014 Mock Draft (with expansion)

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by WPS_Movement, May 25, 2013.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Exactly...competent rookies may be more in demand than current players signed as free agents because of the cap.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Considerations on the list
    1) Emily Oliver and Becca Wann have retired due to concussions.
    2) Katey Stengel status is up the air because of her medical condition and her wish to play next season at Wake if the NCAA allows it.
    3) Players like Jonelle Filigno, Christabel Oduro and Nkem Ezurike will be hard to draft because they r Canadian, assuming they dont have US citizenship or green card as well, and drafting them uses an international slot. Filigno prolly get subsidized anyway.

3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #128 cpthomas, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    Stengel has played in 12 games this year for Wake Forest. Someone can provide the detailed rule, but I think it's going to be pretty hard for her, with 12 games played, to qualify for a red shirt. It may be possible, but probably not likely.

EDIT: After some research, I don't see how she could redshirt this year. To red-shirt, she can have played in only 30% of the team's games and cannot have played past the mid-mark of the season. With 12 games played, there's no way she can meet the 30% requirement. She played in 2010, 2011, and 2012, so I don't think there's any way she gets another year of eligibility.

If anyone knows anything to the contrary, let us know.

4. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think Boston Red posted the NCAA rules but he agrees with u.

5. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
  6. pegasus5

pegasus5 New Member

Feb 20, 2007
    Midwest
    I think that FCKC traded up to ensure that they get Morgan Marlborough as their first round pick (she attended training over the summer with them and fits their need for a target forward). I also think that FCKC will look to get Maegan Kelly in the 2nd round if she is available as she is local, has a sister on the roster and has ties to the coaching staff.

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Considering Marlborough is having a lack luster senior year that may not have been necessary. Ud think the top five r pretty set in some order. Dunn, Johnston, DiBernardo, Ohai & Hayes. Portland picks #6 and certainly doesnt need another forward. Then u had KC at #7.

8. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There seems to be differing opinions on the role of the lone striker in a 4231, with Ohai for UNC and Henderson for FCKC playing so poorly in the system I would hesitate to draft any kind of speedster. On the flip side, look at the kind of year Olivier Giroud is having for Arsenal since they started using the 4231 late last year.

Which begs the question. What formation is Santa Clara using with Morgan?

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think either Ohai or Marlborough would fit well a KC. Ohai would slide back to AM where her speed would be best served. Marlborough at the top would be an excellent target for crosses from KC midfielders and FBs. Either player is a win.

10. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think KC really needs another mid along side Holiday, Tymrak, Mathias, & Farrelly? It doesn't seem likely at this point that Tymrak will be "allocated", so shes going to stay, and Mathias has fit in nicely. I was really surprised to see how much Sinead faded in a system that seemed to favor her skills. I thought she would explode onto the stage and catch everybodies attention, but the chick on the other side with the super short shorts did that instead.

We've left Hayes out of that discussion, no chance she gets in? I really like her passing and interchange in a style like KC has, which doesn't need and shouldn't be looking for speedy attackers. Maya is just as good as Ohai at finishing, but I feel like Maya has a lot more expierence coming back and working with the midfielders.

Don't get me wrong. Ohai is my favorite player, and KC is my favorite team, but my heart tells me they arn't a match for one another. Kealia might end up in Sky Blue along side De Vanna, which is perfect for her. Support at the same level with someone who has speed and skill to both score and play make Kealia in = win win.

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I dont really see Hayes thriving in a one front. She seems more an attack the posts forward or maybe in the middle of a three front.

Courtney Jones was the first option off the bench for KC at AM. Once Tymrak surplanted Farrelly she pretty much disappeared. Despite less than 700 minutes, Jones scored 4 goals, 4th best on the team. Maybe they hope to replace her production in the draft.

12. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just realized Morgan is a KC product. I would be surprised beyond surprised if this wasn't why FCKC traded up to the 4 spot, she fits perfectly in their system. So much for Ohai playing for my favorite team :\

13. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Current Draft Order
    1.Washington
    2.Chicago (from Sea.)
    3.Chicago
    4.FCKC (from Bos.)
    5.Sky Blue
    6.Portland
    7.Boston (from FCKC)
    8.WNY

RD.2
    9.Seattle (from Was.)
    10.FCKC (from Sea.)
    11.Chicago
    12.WNY (from Bos.)
    13.Sky Blue
    14.Portland
    15.FCKC
    16.WNY

RD.3
    17.Washington
    18.Boston (from Sea.)
    19.Chicago
    20.Boston
    21.Sky Blue
    22.Portland
    23.Seattle (from FCKC)
    24.WNY

RD.4
    25.Washington
    26.Seattle
    27.Washington (from Sea.,Chi.)
    28.Boston
    29.Sky Blue
    30.Portland
    31.FCKC
    32.WNY

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  14. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Looking at this list, Seattle looks like the winner here. I'm always skeptical for unproven rookies in this league and the difference between 18 and 23 is nothing. Those players might not even make the team. Considering that Mariah scored three goals last season, that's close to the leading scorer for Seattle.

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Not having a first-rounder may really hurt, though, as I think each draft (starting way back with the '09 WPS draft) turns out 4-10 players who contribute right off the bat, depending on what team they go to. Seattle needs players, so could have done well with a favorable draft order. I think that Chicago, who have had problems getting good players (or at least keeping them healthy) are the winners here. Assuming Mr. Dames doesn't waste early picks like last time.

16. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have to get Julie Johnston. That seems a lock to me and the Boxy mentorship can continue, but that second pick is in the air for me. They have a good core up the middle after the Johnson pick, so I'm not sure I understand why everybody seems certain they will also take DiBernardo.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Chicago showed a tendency last year to bring players with local ties. DiBernardo is from the Chicago area and her coach at Illinois has ties to the Red Stars.

18. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Seattle has done a good job trading their draft picks around.
    They have acquired: Renae Cuellar, Keelin Winters, Mariah Noguiera, #9 pick, #23 pick
    They have given up: Lindsay Taylor, Teresa Noyola, Nikki Krzysik, #2 pick, #10 pick, #18 pick

They didn't hurt themselves too much in trading draft picks, and they acquired three quality players (Cuellar, Winters, Nogueira). Krzysik was probably never going to play for them. Noyola wasn't the best fit there, and they would have ended up cutting Lindsay Taylor anyways after the end of this past season.

They now put themselves in better position to acquire Press (if she wanted to go there, and if the league would comply), they now have A-Rod back, and Stephanie Cox should be back to 100% in 2014.

The real key for them in 2014, is can they retain Jess Fishlock?
    And who will their 2nd international signing be?
    They should go after Gorry of Australia.
    Seattle could use some youth, since they've traded some draft picks away.

19. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Current Draft Order
    1.Washington (Crystal Dunn)
    2.Chicago (from Sea.) (Julie Johnston)
    3.Chicago (Vanessa DiBernardo)
    4.FCKC (from Bos.) (Morgan Marlborough)
    5.Sky Blue (Jonelle Filigno)
    6.Portland (Kealia Ohai)
    7.Boston (from FCKC) (Maya Hayes)
    8.WNY (Natasha Anasi)

RD.2
    9.Seattle (from Was.) (Kassey Kallman)
    10.FCKC (from Sea.) (Mandy Laddish)
    11.Chicago (Nkem Ezurike)
    12.WNY (from Bos.) (Christabel Oduro)
    13.Sky Blue (Michelle Pao)
    14.Portland (Cloee Colohan)
    15.FCKC (Courtney Verloo)
    16.WNY (Mollie Pathman)

RD.3
    17.Washington (Katie Stengel)
    18.Boston (from Sea.) (Nicholette DiGiacomo)
    19.Chicago (Aubrey Bledsoe)
    20.Boston (Kelsey Wys)
    21.Sky Blue (Taylor Schram)
    22.Portland (Erica Owens)
    23.Seattle (from FCKC) (Lindsay Elston)
    24.WNY (Rafaelle Souza) (Brazil)

RD.4
    25.Washington (Shelina Zadorsky)
    26.Seattle (Jenna Richardson)
    27.Washington (from Sea.,Chi.) (Hayley Brock)
    28.Boston (Laura Weinberg)
    29.Sky Blue (Marissa Diggs)
    30.Portland (Amanda Frisbie)
    31.FCKC (Annie Steinlage)
    32.WNY (Jenna Richmond)

20. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Unless you know something you are not telling us, Seattle is in no danger of losing Fishlock. From what I can tell from Twitter, she seems very happy playing there

21. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I think she'll be back next year as well, but that hasn't been officially announced by Seattle yet.

22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I believe Fishlock is on loan to Glasgow City. If u r on loan from Seattle u r the property of Seattle.

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    5.Sky Blue (Jonelle Filigno) ... as best I can tell they plan to bring back De Vanna and Foord. Can Filigno play without an international slot? I think it's moot as Filigno gets allocated.

24. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's 100 % Filigno will get allocated. They wanted to do it the first time around but she still had a year left at Rutgers.

25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    They also dont care about the draft. It's an event for NWSL so the USSF supports it by letting good players get drafted. Canada and Mexico dont care about the draft.