2014 Mock Draft (with expansion)

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by WPS_Movement, May 25, 2013.

1. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Yep, she's definitely less aggressive and more feminine in her game.
    But she has a cannon for a foot, and she can take free kicks, and she's similar to Lloyd in other ways. She's definitely more of a playmaker than Lloyd though. She's a dynamite midfielder in this league. Some call her a tweener, but "tweeners" work better in leagues like this, than on the senior international scene. She can do pretty much everything in the midfield, except be an enforcer. She's not Shannon Boxx, and her game in the air isn't the greatest, but everything else, DiBernardo brings you (great skills on the ball, great vision, delivery, cannon of a foot, and goal-scoring). She's way more consistent in terms of her accuracy on goal than Lloyd is as well. No one can kick a ball in to the 29th row of the upper deck like Lloyd can. She was born with macho masculine feet.

2. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    DiBernardo is more like Rapinoe than Lloyd. She doesnt have Lloyds large frame to generate power. Instead, she is built more like Rapinoe and seems to generate power the same way...leg whip and perfect strike. Pound for pound no woman hits the ball as hard as Rapinoe. If u want to throw up a clip, look at Rapinoe's penalty kick against Brazil and how fast it gets by the GK.

3. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed. When I first saw Rapinoe at an open training session with Chicago back in 2009 I immediately signaled her out because of her ability to strike a ball with pace.

4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Yeah, DiBernardo is actually a hybrid of Lloyd, Rapinoe, and Morgan Brian (with her vision and playmaking) to a certain extent. DiBernardo, however, isn't the best defender, isn't tough at holding her ground on the ball against stronger players (but she is slithery and smooth), but she is certainly more of an asset than a liability for Chicago. She actually fits their style of play more than Bywaters. They have Boxx, Osborne, Sitch, etc. for toughness in the midfield anyways. Right now, they need a playmaker in the midfield. Chalupny can score, and she is a well-rounded player, but DiBernardo is even better as a distributor and overall playmaker. Plus, Chalupny is very injury prone. I've always been a big fan of Chaloop, but she's not enough in Quantity at this point for enough offense from the midfield. They need yet another weapon, and one that will hopefully be available for them every game. DiBernardo can give them that.

It's best to use Bywaters as a speedy sub (next year) against a tired defense in the 70th - 90th minute. The more I think of the Bywaters situation, the more I think she's possibly the biggest bust as a #1 overall pick in women's professional sports draft history. She's still a solid player, and worthy of being in this league. But we can have 20 more years of NWSL, and every #1 overall pick (for every draft) going forward will be a better player.

I know I'm one of the only people on here to have the guts to be a real critic, and use words like "bust" and "underachieving" for women's players. I don't care if it's a man or a woman. They're still professionals and adults (post-college even). Chicago could have done better with the #1 pick. I still thought they should have taken Mewis (even called it before the season), but I tried to "like" (and understand) the Bywaters pick as much as I could before the season, I even tried to explain that tactical decision after the draft for Chicago, and I will eat some crow for that.

5. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I honestly don't understand the hate for Bywaters. She had 2 goals in 372 minutes or a goal every 186 minutes.. which isn't that bad.

Comparatively Tymrak has a goal every 198 minutes and Nairn has one every 522 minutes.

Granted, I am not saying that I agree that Bywaters should have been the #1 pick nor am I saying she was a better choice than someone like Tymrak, Nairn, Mewis, etc. However, I do think that it's a bit unfair for everyone to criticize Chicago's selection when you look at her statistics comparatively, it's not the end of the world and I don't see it as "the world #1 draft pick there has been".

6. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Ok, so I'm being a little harsh on the Bywaters situation.
    I guess if they took Mewis, they may have lost her to allocation soon anyways.
    Bywaters will never be allocated, so they don't have to worry about that.
    And she does have speed. You can't teach that.

7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The Bywaters thing is way over blown. This isnt Portland taking Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan. Look at the first round and and my opinion of their impact

[​IMG]
    2013 NWSL Draft Results

BY Scott Lewis / Posted January 18, 2013

Here’s a quick rundown of all the picks during the 2013 NWSL Draft. We will be posting a more in-depth look at each of the picks later today.
    First Round
    1. Chicago Red Stars – Zakiya Bywaters (UCLA) ... little impact, injured
    2. Washington Spirit – Tiffany McCarty (Florida State) ... little impact
    3. FC Kansas City – Kristin Mewis (BC) ...starter, solid player, not a star
    4. Sky Blue FC – Lindsi Linsonbee-Cutshall (BYU) ...little impact
    5. Boston Breakers – Casey Short (Florida State) ...injured
    6. Western New York Flash – Adrianna Franch (Okla State)....starter, solid player, star potential
    7. Seattle Reign FC – Christie Nairn (Penn State) ....starter, solid player, not a star
    8. Portland Thorns FC – Kathryn Williamson (Florida) ....starter, solid player, not a star
    Second round
    9. Chicago Red Stars – Rachel Quon (Stanford)....starter, solid player, not a star
    10. Washington Spirit – Caroline Miller (Virginia)...sub, then injured
    11. FC Kansas City – Erika Tmyrak (Florida)....starter, solid player, star potential
    12. Sky Blue FC – Kendall Johnson (Portland)....starter, solid player, not a star
    13. Boston Breakers – Mariah Nogueira (Stanford)....starter, solid player, not a star
    14. Western New York Flash – Amy Barczuk (Colorado)...little impact
    15. Seattle Reign FC – Mallory Schaffer (William and Mary)...not in league
    16. Portland Thorns FC – Nicolette Radovcic (Central Florida)...not in league

So from the first rounders u got Franch, who went to the only team that really needed a GK, and three solid players who start for their teams. Of the other four, one was hurt all season and the other three still have potential but have proven little. Of those seven, who would u have taken instead of Bywaters? Chicago didnt need a starting GK. While Chicago could have gotten a piece of the puzzle, no one screams number one pick. And no one was taking Tymrak number one because her college career didnt warrant it. The league actually did as well in round two, producing four solid starters.

I believe players like Bywaters, Cutshall and Short will become solid players in the league. Im not so sure about McCarty tho she may just need a change of scenery. I dont think Bywaters will ever be able to live up to being number one, but other than Franch, I dont think any of the first eight would have either.

8. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I haven't given up on Bywaters just yet.
    I guess I'm just used to the #1 overall pick in women's sports having a bigger impact (which Bywaters hasn't really had). But then again, Tobin Heath didn't really do squad in 2010 (but she went through injuries).

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Bywaters could have a nice career for Chicago and still not justify the first selection. The biggest problem is it seems they took her to be a personality scorer but it's likely wing is her better position. It's very surprising because she was projected as a wing by most observers.

10. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Thanks. Tasha said 70k per 9 friendlies, so the 30, 50, and 70 can double, based on their international club schedule? i think they will let the draft occur and allocate after. then you still get the impact of drafting dunn, etc. the problem i see with this is, if the red bulls are one of the new teams, and it's been noted they are interested. ussoccer will not put a lemon in red bull arena. it's just not happening. and current teams will most likely keep their cores. then, what do you do with dunn? do you really let her go to washington, or you pull a fast one with a pre draft allocation and send her to ny? she's easily the best impact player in the draft.

it's like people saying send press to washington or chicago but she has family in cali and ny, so those will be her two top choices.

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Engen might pick Washington if she comes back. She is from Cali but is close with Harris.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    There r all kind of bonuses built into the contract. Besides $1000 per win they get a $10,000 roster bonus if they make the roster for Olympic or WWC qualifying or for the actual tournaments. There r also bonuses for placing top three in OG or WWC ($5ok, $20K, $10K) plus they got to split up $1.2 million after winning the Olympics to cover playing in the ten game victory tour. It's good work if u can get it.

13. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't remember Kai saying that but I think it meant WNT playing only 9 friendlies that specific year, not another 70K on top of her base salary.

14. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

in 2008 around the dick's field friendly with brazil, she said, 70k for 9 games/friendlies. i wouldn't post it if i didn't remember it.

[​IMG]

Simone :inlove:

15. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am very happy for you to be able to remember things like that.

16. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  17. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Johnston and Hayes are over-rated. If I'm Red Bull, I'd demand allocations happen before the draft, so I get Dunn for the next couple of years. When she grows as a pro and international player, you can build a franchise around her. Has a defender ever won FIFA PofY? Great motor (it's so good she over-runs plays.) and she can get into the attack unlike Ali Riley and Alex Scott.

18. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamm-Hamm (F), Prinz-Prinz-Prinz (F), Marta-Marta-Marta-Marta-Marta (F), Sawa (M), Wambach (F). So, no. And I wouldn't hold my breath.

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    They arent allocating Dunn. I could definitely see them using Press to lure the Red Bulls tho.

I agree that Hayes is still missing something tho she has all the tools. Johnston will be a great pro and a solid player on the NT

20. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    DiBernardo claims she got to train with the Red Stars this year:

21. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    They should have asked her how much her folks had to pay to get her name above Morgan Brian's on that TopDrawer list ;)

22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Top four r set for the draft barring an absurd change in goal differential

1 Washington Spirit
    2 Chicago Red Stars (from Seattle)
    3 Chicago Red Stars
    4 Boston Breakers

23. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008

1.) Crystal Dunn (Washington)
    2.) Kealia Ohai (Chicago)
    3.) Vanessa DiBernardo (Chicago)
    4.) Julie Johnston (Boston)

Chicago could take Julie Johnston with the #2 pick, because they need defense.
    But goal scoring and/or attacking down the flank is something they could use, and that's more of a rare commodity in this league right now. Ohai can provide that for them.

But if Toronto is in the league, and gets the first pick, then it shakes things up.

24. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

i thought expansion teams get the last picks of the first round. ussoccer can't be that shady. it's easier to let dunn finish her college eligibility and allocate her the day after to insure she is on Toronto or Red Bull's (if they get a deal done with Sky Blue) roster.

25. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta got the first pick in the 2010 WPS draft as an expansion team, and WNY got the first pick the next year. Giving an expansion team the top pick in a draft has been done by every major sports league. I know how much you love your conspiracy theories, but there's nothing shady about that.