2014 MLS SuperDraft

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by bwidell, Nov 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

2. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think Heaps/burns have shown that they'll identify players they want and that they think can fit a role within the team with their first round selections. Then they'll do what it takes to get the player. If that means trading up then we'll probably package our picks with some allocation money. It could also mean we stay put and wait for our player to fall to us. It's impossible to say right now, but I don't see us waiting for the best available. I envision Burns and Heaps being proactive to get the player that they want.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In all honesty, it's tough to say since it might depend on if they can fix a problem or two with signings prior to the draft.

If not, they might keep them both and just take the best available player. IMHO, I think their two first round picks would only move them up to about 8-10, not much higher than that. Unless you believe there's a can't miss player there still available, I'd stick with what they have.

4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a perfect world, we would have a pretty good bead on new signings before the draft, either having made the signings or knowing that we will definitely sign player A or B for a particular position. Then we would have a better idea of the positional needs. If there is the opportunity to move up an grab a guy like Farrell, great. If not, you can draft the best available player period, regardless of position, and let him develop.

There are exceptions to the rule, but unless he is a lower first-rounder, is it realistic to pencil in a draftee as a starter? Let them get their feet wet and develop over the course of the season like Caldwell did and Rowe did the previous year, rather than put that kind of pressure on the kid. (yes, I know Caldwell wasn't a draft pick)

Of course, there may be a lot of behind the scenes work going on that we don't know about, which I am fine with, but it's really hard for us to say what they might do.

5. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going the BPA route is probably best for both picks. Its such a crap shoot anyway for most draftees. Additionally, several of the players on the squad are somewhat flexible with their positions. Is Farrell going to be at RB, CB, or DM this season? Rowe and Nguyen can play wide if necessary. Caldwell can move further up midfield or drop back. McCarthy can play CB or DM. Alston can play left or right.

Even if they only hit on one of the two picks, that's 3 out of 4 first round hits since Heaps took over.

6. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    McCarthy and Farrell are not MLS caliber DM's. Neither handle the ball well enough. They are relatively thin in the central midfield. I would like to see them address that area in the draft, trade and/or international signing.

Crooked and bwidell repped this.
  7. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I'm fine with taking the best player available at #10 and #17, and planning to send them to Rochester unless they turn out to be a very pleasant surprise. The draft is not for filling holes, or it shouldn't be, especially if you are drafting below #5. They should be trying to fill all the holes before the draft.

ToMhIlL and BUSA Bulldog repped this.
  8. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazingly you have just made the point I was trying to make many posts ago when I questioned if the Revs might package their two first round picks to move up to pick up a Blake :p. I agree I was being a bit excessive in positing DCU or any of the top 2 or 3 pickers might have any intention of using their pick to take a Keeper but my premise holds---if the Rev want Blake do the package to move up to get him?

9. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It appears to me that Heaps and Burns are taking a very Belichickian approach to the SuperDraft. Identify your players and then make moves accordingly. At least that's what I hope they're doing...

10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    It's working. ;)
    I don't see Farrell going to CB - we are currently doing fine there (and Soares/McCarthy will only improve playing with DPOTY) and it would take away Farrell's best asset - his ability to dribble out of pressure (too dangerous to try that from cdef).

One of biggest weaknesses is not being able to cope with teams pressuring our back line. Farrell is the only one who was really good at breaking the pressure and creating the best counters we had all season.
    It's a big mistake to fall so in love with a player that you do anything to get them. GK is a position that can be upgraded, but it's not one where we don't have an adequate solution. Besides that, keeper is a position that requires years of experience more than any other. The likelihood of a rookie keeper making a big impact next season is very, very small. And if that's the case, would we really want to bundle our picks to move up to get someone? Farrell was a much different case. It was very realistic to expect him to be an impact player in his first year (and he was).

I think the Revs might take Blake if he falls to us, but I really, really doubt they'd give up much to move up to get him.

11. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    That's true about his ability to dribble out of pressure. I still think his physicality and ability on the ball would be better served in the middle of the field. He's shown little ability to cross the ball and despite starting a lot of counter attacks, he turns the ball over far too much for my liking as he gets out of control when at high speed. I don't think those turnovers would be as likely if he wasn't being asked to make those long runs up the wing.

12. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    #87 Jon Martin, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    Bob, I'm smiling because I remember you defending Emmanuel Osei (rightly, IMO) for having the composure to settle the ball and make the good pass or dribble out of pressure. I think having a center back who is comfortable with the ball at his feet is a great thing. Whether we sacrifice anything moving Farrell to the middle depends on who we get to play outside. It's not hard for me to imagine bringing in fullbacks who can attack and defend, and can cross a lot better than Farrell.

IRguy, Kraft Out and patfan1 repped this.
  13. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we get the last pick in the 1st round

How many people at the beginning of the year would've predicted that;)

14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn it Benny, continuing to screw the Revs! ;)

15. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That's true, but being able to dribble out of pressure on the wing is much different than the way Osei, and other good CB's, can settle the ball and move it out of pressure. Farrell almost always relies on speed to get up and down the wing and out of oncoming pressure. He isn't a great settler of the ball, and his left foot is a bit shaky in dribbling and distribution. Osei on the other hand dribbled out of pressure because he had a fantastic first touch and could use both feet. He used excellent ball control and deception, rather than pure athleticism.

I really worry about Farrell's ability to handle high pressing teams. I think putting him in the middle of the field exposes some of his weaknesses.

firstshirt, ftruscot and bwidell repped this.
  16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Fair point - I just don't see us getting a large number of new players and I don't expect significant additions to the defense.

We have yet to see what Woodbine can do and maybe we will get another outside back, but I'd be surprised if it's a real two-way overlapping back like we've been dreaming about. We'll see.
    Yes. Having him dribble up the middle would scare me, whereas on the wing there's a lot more space to manuever and a turnover isn't the same disaster it could be at the top of the penalty arc.

Kraft Out repped this.
  17. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The only one who could dribble up the middle on this team was Reis

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Neither is last year's ACC Defensive Player of the Year, Sebastien Ibeagha. He falls into Houston's homegrown system.

22. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
  23. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the hot stove league. So much speculation with so little real data :)
    We should be seeing some well crafted Mock Drafts soon

24. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Eight MAC Hermann Trophy Semifinalists and five Men’s College Cup Final Four participants are among the players that will take the field in Fort Lauderdale from January 10-14.

Patrick Mullins, the 2012 Missouri Athletic Club’s (MAC) Hermann Trophy winner and an All-American is among the 50 college seniors. Mullins, a dynamic forward, played and started in 23 games this season for the University of Maryland while tallying 21 goals and eight assists.

The five players participating in the 2013 Men’s College Cup Final Four this weekend in the Philadelphia area are Michael Calderon, Kyle Venter and Michael Karafi of the University of New Mexico, Patrick Mullins of the University of Maryland, and Grant Van de Casteele of the University of Notre Dame."

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/coll...nnounces-initial-player-combine-list_aid32238

25. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mamadou Diouf from UCONN is a beast of a forward. 6'1 or 6'2, probably 180 or 90. strong player with deceptive speed. 15 goals his Jr year and 13 is Soph year, think he had 2 or 3 this year but I also think he had a lot of health issues. Only played in like 14 games his Sr year