2014 MLS Referee Assignments and Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Slaskwroclaw18, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  3. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the best I could do on my DVR. The frame before, the ball was still on Shipp's foot. :)

Only reason I brought it up was because I hadn't noticed how close it actually was. Good run from the forward, can't argue that.

4. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #954 lurking, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    Oh, its a red. I just would rather see the player play on and the ref to give advantage. If he gets a clear look and doesnt score then no need for a red. If he doesnt, award the red at the stoppage. But when I see a player give up after a foul, but not a particularly severe one I just think to myself "How good a chance was it if that much contact made a player give up?"

Its just the fan and me that finds it sad when the players feel they have to play the ref and not the game.

5. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jahn took a little hop as he went in on the opposing player. That extra spring is what turned a (still far too late) shoulder to shoulder charge into a shoulder to side of the head charge and what IMO turned a reckless play into one using excessive force.

7. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Just saw the DOGSO incident in the Columbus game and all I can say is wow.

If that is supposed to be one of the best referees in our country then our referee program is in trouble.

So many things wrong with that clip.

shawn12011 repped this.
  8. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
  9. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the COL/DCU incident:
    http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...olumbus-crew-vs-dc-united/details/video/14303

I know I'm totally missing the point, but this is probably why the referee needs to be in control of the ball on a prolonged delay like that. Plus, shouldn't the COL keeper be cautioned for fiddling about with the ball? Its not his, don't touch it? Or by that point had the restart become so confusing that we give him the benefit of the doubt? And again, I know I'm missing the point. But still.

10. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you're missing the point on how to control the situation and prevent the mass confrontation. On the Rizzoli thread a few weeks ago--citing people much more experienced than me--I made the exact same point.

I'm not sure there is a point to make on the missed DOGSO. It's just missed, with little excuse. I'd be interested to hear what role, if any, the AR played in the misconduct portion of the decision. But in the end, it really doesn't matter. It's just missed.

11. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I don't have that big of a problem with him not giving red there, what I have a problem is that he needs 5 minutes to decide whether it should be a yellow or red.

It's a pretty clear cut decision one way or the other. The whole incident could have been prevented if he gave a yellow straight away.

AremRed repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, what? How is that not textbook DOGSO?

Just a disaster of a sequence. Embarrassing all the way around for the ref.

13. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    What I meant to say is that it's a miss and a bad one, but it happens. It's understood that it's a horrible decision to not give a red. I can't understand how long he needs to take decision to give a yellow there.

jayhonk and JasonMa repped this.
  14. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    37 seconds from when he blew his whistle for the foul and when he was about to issue the card. The reason it ended up taking so long was because of what happened with Espindola/Higuain/Clark, and eventually most of the other players. Is 37 seconds too long?

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bootsy Collins and Hararea repped this.
  16. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Exactly. You gotta give something and you gotta give it faster.

17. Bradley Smith

Bradley Smith Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Straight red given out to Chivas' Delgado by Elfath in the Chivas-Sounders game. I thought it was yellow when I saw it live. Would love to see a replay.

18. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. but sir

but sir Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Minnesota
    Before the Wondo/Gonzalez incident, the previous 2 weeks POW was about DOGSO. Seems like there might be a third?

Although it seems obvious on the replay I'm wondering if he's trying to not only determine card color but inside/outside the penalty area and thus some initial delay. He never pointed to the spot but I never did see him give a clear indication it was outside of the PA on the replay. Then there are players right away in his face giving opinions about the card color and the referee keeps backpedaling from their confrontation. So in the confusion Espindola is standing with the ball on the penalty spot ready for a PK when his skirmish breaks out. And that skirmish was people kicking the ball around until our straight legged studs-up tackler Anor comes in with a little two handed shove to Espindola into the back netting.

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    • sanctioned for trolling the referee forum
    I'm so very glad we got all of the PSRA refs back to make sure they put their stamp on every game and take up their role as part 0f "the show".

21. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am with you and Keller. Definitely worth a yellow, but I'm not sure how that should be a red. He was trying to pull out of the tackle and the contact was to the side of the foot it looked like. Studs were exposed to a degree, but angled down more then into the opponent.

22. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    For me that is too long.

23. CardsAsAWeapon

Apr 28, 2013
    On the other hand, if you slide into a guy without the ball anywhere nearby, you're taking a big risk. So maybe it wasn't studs-up, but he still got a very healthy chunk of the Sounders player without getting any of the ball.

I wouldn't've been surprised to see only a yellow for that, but I think it's a solid red for my money.

24. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also sounded really awful live.

jarbitro repped this.
  25. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    If anyone happened to see Sporting KC against Montreal, I'd be interested in your perspectives re: PI.

Over the course of this game, KC's Dom Dwyer was fouled nine times, in minutes 2, 7, 22, 34, 57, 70, 73, 77, and 85. The only time a card was shown was the one in minute 73, and it was for persistent infringement.

I have a hard time seeing how PI wasn't ruled sooner, and once PI was ruled, I have a hard time seeing how subsequent fouls targeting the same player weren't also ruled PI.