2014 MLS Referee Assignments and Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Slaskwroclaw18, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. Brendan Barry lied to my face and you figured it all out by a screen capture and quick Google. You've solved the case again!

If you genuinely think you know what you're talking about, then I don't know what to tell you.

JasonMa and billf repped this.
  2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wasn't sure about NISOA...but I found it!

NISOA Code of Ethics
    1. That I shall always maintain the utmost respect for the game of soccer.
    2. That I will conduct myself professionally and maintain the dignity of my position.
    3. That I shall always honor a contractual obligation.
    4. That I will endeavor to attend my NISOA Local Chapter meetings and clinics to become more knowledgeable of the rules and how they shall be interpreted.
    5. That I will always carry my share of the load in every assignment I accept and strive to achieve maximum teamwork with my fellow officials.
    6. That I shall be loyal to my member officials and never knowingly permit or promote criticism of them.
    7. That I shall be in good physical condition for every game assignment I accept and be in the right position at the right time during the game.
    8. That I will control the players effectively by being courteous arid considerate without sacrificing firmness.
    9. That I shall do my utmost to assist my fellow officials to better themselves.
    10. That I shall not make statements about any game I officiate except to clarify an interpretation.
    11. That I shall live up to the credo of the ideal official “Who notices everything but seldom notices self.”
    12. That I shall consider it a privilege to be a member of NISOA and will uphold it at all times.
    13. That I shall not solicit or assign college or high school games without authorization of my NISOA Local Chapter, a college conference, a NFHS-affiliated State High School Athletic Association, or NISOA.
    14. That I shall not embarrass or discredit my fellow officials, my NISOA Local Chapter, or NISOA.
    15. That, as a NISOA member and an appointed games Assignor, I shall service all intercollegiate educational institutions with only NISOA-qualified, NISOA-certified and NISOA-registered members in good standing.
    16. That as a NISOA member I will not accept any assignments at an institution to with I or any member of my immediate family are affiliated.
    17. That as a NISOA assignor I will not contract with an institution or conference to which I or any member of my immediate family are affiliated.

3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009

Don't be silly. Just because he has a convincing cover story doesn't mean it's not a grand conspiracy. Just because Barry had FIFA experience doesn't mean he wasn't hired for underhanded stealthy reasons Did you check and make sure he didn't leave your meeting in a black helicopter (or would it be a green one)! BTW, I know we don't usually advertise here, but I hope I can get away with a plug for my new business website, as this seems to be the perfect place to find customers . . . c'mon everyone, check it out at tinfoilhats.com . . .

4. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle
    Does anyone really want someone training in a league where they have not worked games? Might Kelly not just be getting games to give him a hands-on perspective on the MLS version of the game?

Of course, contrary to most, with the exception of one pretty obvious mistake, I think Kelly has been great (limited sample size, of course, I've only watched 1.5 of his games). His opening game (Sounders-KC) I thought was excellent.

5. Okipel

Okipel New Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    My dearest friend, I was waiting for you.
    I can not believe my eyes, you are threatening me.

Oh God, please forgive him, he does not know what he is doing...

6. chaoslord08

chaoslord08 Member

Dec 24, 2006
    Fayetteville AR
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So rather than reply to him calling you out for violating the CoE in the same way that you are accusing others of, you deicde to go "Oh no, I'm being threatened"? That's...uh...interesting.

Defend your comment about Geiger.

7. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Walton didn't do games in MLS yet he is in charge of choosing who will referee in MLS. Paul Rejer, the head of training, never refereed a second in MLS.

Look at the evaluators on the PRO website. Three out of the six never did games in the league.

Three out of the four AR coaches never ran a line in the league.

8. Okipel

Okipel New Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    My post was response to one of the members (PH, I think). He tried to sell the Geiger`s decision about the second yellow card.

My post was just clarifying the interpretation and application of Law XII.

9. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excuse me while I clean up my desk.....I just laughed so hard that stuff came out my nose....

SA14mars, La Rikardo, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  10. chaoslord08

chaoslord08 Member

Dec 24, 2006
    Fayetteville AR
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #785 chaoslord08, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    Let me quote your post again, just so I make sure I understand this. You said,
    This clarifies Law 12 how? (I also think calling a decision Geiger made horrible is promoting criticism by your own very strict standards, but that's an issue for another post)

11. Okipel

Okipel New Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München

O, welcome!!!
    Now, "the whole company" is here. Very impressive!!!
    And very polite, also.

12. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle
    That doesn't mean that it's not a good idea, nor does it mean that when Kelly was hired he didn't say that he would need to work real-life games in the league in order to do his job properly.

It's conjecture, of course, but I sure wouldn't want to train for a league with which I had no practical experience.

13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My earlier post that you interpreted as a threat, Okipel, was the moderator equivalent of a quiet word. Consider this the public ass-chewing. You're derailing the main thread on this forum, contributing nothing to the actual discourse on refereeing, and it seems clear--as it did from your first posts--that you're only here to troll and cause trouble. At this point, unless your behavior changes 180 degrees, it's really just your choice on how you get your red card.

Alberto, Bubba Atlanta, SA14mars and 6 others repped this.
  14. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have tried to clean up this thread. Hopefully we can keep on track and keep comments less personal.

Thanks.

Law5 and Battler repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what Gantar is doing in the 65th minute of this game but we've stopped after this foul call before the free kick for a good 2-3 minutes. Looks like he's waiting to let TFC warm up a sub?

16. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Confused about the ref not allowing the restart in Chicago@Montreal at 65:00 on the clock. Montreal players want the ball moved back a little further. Magee kicks it back to Larentowicz, who is right around where the foul happened, who quickly stops it and plays it. Ref pulls it back for what? Then gives a yellow to Magee for what I assume is dissent.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently he was delaying the game until the debris being thrown on the field could be cleared and the fans warned.

18. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    They called it a "security issue" on the TSN broadcast. Even weirder to me was him going over to his AR and have a 10 second conversation to determine corner/goal kick. Probably took 30 seconds from the time the ball went out until a decision was made. The decision they came to (corner) was correct, but the mechanics were very unusual.

MrPerfectNot and JasonMa repped this.
  19. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Full time whistled at 93:36 in Montreal. They signaled 4 minutes of stoppage. But they also took time to deal with a player who took a high boot to the head during stoppage, took a good 40 seconds off the clock from when the ref called on trainers to when play restarted.

20. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think so. I don't see much of a case for red at all, other than the injury. And if you look closely at the incident, it looks like the injury might occur to Gonclaves right leg as he drags it on the turf--before he even gets hit. I'm sure the late tackle didn't help, but it doesn't mean you upgrade a reckless tackle to SFP.

Hararea and bwidell repped this.
  22. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't find video, but I thought Kelly missed two penalties today. He gave one against the Union that you don't normally see called in MLS. I can't really argue with it though, clear foul.

Other than that, he was ok. He seems to communicate really well with the players and he also moves well on the field. He called a fairly tight game, but almost put the whistle away over the last 10 minutes or so, lots of contact and physical play.

23. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I was thinking, too. Saw some people complaining about it, but yellow seemed fair to me, despite the unfortunate injury.

24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Video of the called penalty is in the "commentators say..." thread.

The missed PK in the 73rd minute was one of the most certain penalty appeals I've ever seen turned aside in MLS. I've been waiting for video, but it's not in any of the MLS highlights. I know you were at the stadium, Bill; you're going to be shocked when you see it.

The other one was in stoppage time, but I didn't get to see it live and, again, there was no replay.

Hararea repped this.
  25. ChelseaSounder

Nov 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone ever seen a ref give a card for an inappropriate goal celebration at a high level?

Michel, after making his penalty, did a "bend her over, take her from behind, and slap her ass" celebration. Classy.