2014 MLS Draft

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kayak, Dec 19, 2013.

1. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree he's average but Parkhurst hasn't been playing 1st team ball since last Feb. I think. Of course that doesn't count reserves or Gold Cup.

2. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Parkhurst was MLS defender of the year as a CB.

3. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    If it's the 4th and allocation money for Parkhurst and that's it that's a bad trade.

5. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were right. It is Parkhurst plus money.

6. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs didn't get next year's first round pick.

7. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Was close though.......

8. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don't see how this is a bad trade. Loosing Marshall was tough but this has to be an upgrade. Europe or the National team isn't really beating Chad's door down and what realistically can we gain out of the Superdraft that we cant get from our Homegrown program?

cam5fc repped this.
  9. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'd only be MASSIVE if he was here. Here is the genesis of MASSIVE and the permanent abode of MASSIVE.

10. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Why is this such a bad trade? We've basically traded an oft-injured and concussion prone center-back for another who hasn't had similar injury concerns. And he's had double the appearances for the USMNT than Chad - and he's got a good shot at making the 2014 roster, which is a positive and negative from the Crew's perspective. I'm thinking this might be a good trade - a back line with Williams and Parkhurst in the middle will be strong.

JayFunkeyFresh repped this.
  11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fine with this too, And from here to the beginning of February is when we'd normally start hearing about what we can get from outside the US as most northern hemisphere (excepting EPL) teams are now in training camps for the second half of the season (or beginning, depending on the league) and are just now making final calls on who stays and who goes. Realistically, we're bottom feeders as a league for now for most transfers. I think we'll get a MF or forward by mid February.

12. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Historical #4 picks and first round draft trades, or, the value of what we just gave up:

2013:
    #4 (Kekuta Manneh) was traded along with allocation money in exchange for the #1 pick
    #5 and allocation money traded for #29 and an allocation swap that ended up as Bakary Soumare

2012:
    Luis Silva drafted at #4
    #12, Tony Tchani, and Danleigh Borman traded for DeRo

2011:
    Zarek Valentin drafted at #4
    #8 traded for Nathan Sturgis

2010:
    Teal Bunbury drafted at #4
    #5 and allocation money traded for Adrian Serioux

2009:
    O'Brian White drafted at #4
    #2 and allocation money traded for Ronnie O'Brien

Now, we don't know how much money we gave up here, but as far as trade returns go, it looks like we did pretty well.

13. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...

Suddenly the draft doesn't matter anymore.

Skeleton Crew repped this.
  14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it seems to indicate that Precourt and co. *do* want to win now.

15. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As deep as the CB pool is, we can still get a solid young guy in round 2 to fill out the depth chart. CB is the only position where we don't have a young guy waiting in the wings.

It'd be great if Nick Hagglund dropped that far. I would imagine he was at our combine a few weeks ago.

16. thumabr

thumabr Member

Jun 28, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We do have a CB homegrown playing at Maryland that looks to be a good prospect, so I suppose that could be considered waiting in the wings.

17. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What we need is MF talent.

You can't defend for 90 minutes so as much as I like the signing and the indications it provides.

Cant put this one in the gold star category. ...yet.

18. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have Trapp as a DM, and George is decent there, as depth. Heck, Tchani is only 24. We're more likely to find quality attacking midfielders abroad, unfortunately. This draft is pretty light on wingers.

I do think Tom McNamara from Clemson would be worth taking a flier on, but one coach's comment was "I don't think he ever defends." He's not from the Midwest, though, so we probably don't have him on the radar.

19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This *is* a new coaching and technical staff, you know. One not from the midwest. So it's hard to say who they do or don't have on their radar. We simply cannot extrapolate like you might be able to do with the previous staff (and even there, they drafted nationally).

20. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the center of the park, Trapp and Viana are both decent options at defensive oriented mids. So is Paladini. George and, in desperation, Gehrig, can back them up. The problem is further upfield (Tchani), out wide (Anor, Speas, Finlay, Meram) and up top (Arreita, Finley, Schoenfeld) where we are decidedly mediocre aside from Oduro.

With some combo of Parkhurst, Williams, Barson, and Francis starting, and Walh & Viana backing them up, we have decent depth in the back. Could certainly use another CB and another wide option. Don't think Weit and the others are really ready to play, and I'm not a fan of Gehrig at all (though he does give good effort).

21. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    I don't hate Parkhurst I think his best asset for the national team is his versatility not because he is a great center back. I truly hope he does great for years and makes me look like a complete fool for having any sort of problem ever. I will add that I wanted a veteran center back and I got one so certainly that is good. I also think he could be a good model for some of the homegrowns that will be here in a few years to mimic.

22. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure why you think this is a bad trade. We're getting a guy who is at least in the conversation for Best XI defender. Essentially a Chad replacement who is more durable, a little less money (assuming reports that chad was due $500,000 in a year or two), and probably a better leader.

To me that is a lot better than the crap shoot that is the draft. I say that knowing you seem to really know a lot about incoming talent, so you might see what you think are can't miss prospects at #4, but history shows otherwise.

Granted, we don't know how much allocation money we sent. So who knows. Did the Crew get allocation money in the Marshall deal, or did they send money?

23. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a side note, reading this after the fact, I've got to say I'm pretty impressed that people had this trade called just from the rumor of the #4 pick going to the Revs.

24. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is because Bill Archer is really Anthony Precourt. I am of course, Gregg Berhalter. And CybrSlydr is Mark McCullers.

25. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I was Higuain? :D