2014 MLS Draft

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kayak, Dec 19, 2013.

1. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agudelo.

[​IMG]

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  2. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not.

Bengtson's a bust, but they won't get rid of him before the World Cup.

Sene's hurt.

They like Imbongo.

They just signed Davies.

They lost Barrett to Seattle.

Putting a couple of rumors together... if there's a player headed to Ohio, I wouldn't be shocked if it were AJ Soares.

Placid Casual repped this.
  3. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    That could make sense.

Though more likely to be Aguedelo's rights and a 3rd round pick in 2018

4. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're not trading Agudelo's rights. They want him when he comes back.

5. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Parkhurst's rights then. Or any other player that went overseas.

6. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is we are giving them the 4th pick and we are getting Fagundaz and their next tw0 1st round picks.

7. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with Mike's analysis. Imbongo is the only forward you might want, and Heaps wouldn't give him up. Soares or McCarthy might be available, if you want a so-so center back. More likely it would be our draft pick and money or something else (do you need foreign slots?).

Maybe rights to Parkhurst -- Rev's don't need another back but he's a local boy and the fans wouldn't like that move (not sure if that would influence Revs thinking or not).

Looking at it from Crew's POV, what would you guys want in exchange for the #4 slot? What do you need, and what would you consider fair exchange for #4?

8. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are in need of centerbacks and forwards. The guys I would want on your roster are the same guys I cant imagine you would give up. To me it has to be allocation dollars.

9. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are right. We don't have a forward you'd want (other than Imbongo), and while I like Soares and McCarthy okay as our 2nd and 3rd CBs, if I needed a CB I'd take the best guy available at #4 over either of them. I think it's money, plus our #12 pick.

Or maybe rights to Parkhurst . . . would you take that, if you knew he was coming and you could sign him?

10. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sad things is right now we dont really need cap relief. We have so much free money. We need starters so if we are trading the 4th pick it needs to be a starter, especially since GB said we could get a starter at the 4th spot.

11. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Parkhurst?

12. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he out of contract and looking to come back?

13. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if he's out of contract or out of favor, but on the Revs board people have been saying he might come back this year. Idle speculation, I think.

Smithsoccer1721 repped this.
  14. jschwarz

jschwarz Member

Apr 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My gut tells me it could be for rights to Parkhurst. He hasn't played a minute for Augsburg this season. Maybe he wants to come home where he can actually see the field.

15. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd think a USMNT pool player and former MLS Defender of Year is worth more than the 4th pick in a so-so draft.

16. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    If it's Parkhurst for the 4th straight up I'm calling that a bad trade. We need way more than Parkhurst; if we give up the 4th and more for Parkhurst then we're probably the ones getting fleeced.

The Agudelo talk seems totally ridiculous too. First I don't think he's coming back so you probably aren't getting the player. Second how many times have his rights been split now? Not sure your getting a lot of money if he signs with the league for a year and gets sold. Third I really don't think the Revs are giving up his rights anyway.

17. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    I was joking - The point being he isn't coming back so the rights are worthless. But I could see the Front Office thinking they have made a great deal.

18. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Except the one position that this draft is deep in is at center back. The Crew would probably better off with one of the young guys as they'll actually be useful when we're competitive again. Couple that with him being an asset that you don't need and his value isn't that impressive. Hell I'd rather deal with Dallas and work out a deal for Walker Zimmerman.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  19. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Not you people on twitter.

20. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Ah. Well that's moronic then.

21. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just said Agudelo because I thought it was too far fetched to be taken seriously.

22. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and you are right -- it wouldn't be taken seriously by the Revs. Agudelo was huge for the Revs last year (or is it massive?) -- the 14 games he played they picked up 28 points. The 24 games he didn't play the picked up 23. Revs would LOVE to have him back, and if he is one of those guys who can't find the right spot in Europe, he might want to come back to the Revs because he can expect to be really successful in Heaps' system. Both Agudelo and the Revs FO went out of their way to say nice things about each other when he announced he is indeed leaving.

23. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Don't worry. Our FO will give the the #4 pick, all of our allocation money and the first round pick next year.

24. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would we trade for Parkhurst? Already have Barson. They're going to play Parkhurst at CB?

I'm expecting something stupid.

25. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barson is an average MLS right back and just my opinion has a low ceiling. I would look to upgrade over him. Parkurst is better right now. Personally not the deal that I would want but it does make some sense.