2014 Matchday #7: Red Bulls v Union, April 16, 2014 p/d/p (R)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by aztec21bas, Apr 14, 2014.

?

Predict The Outcome: Red Bulls v. Union

Poll closed Apr 16, 2014.
  1. Win

54.5%
  2. Loss

22.7%
  3. Tie

22.7%
  1. hug.the.post

hug.the.post Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Delaware county
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Just so we get this straight
    upload_2014-4-17_15-21-44.png
    This shows that Casey came in at the 66th minute and they scored their second goal at the 67th minute. Ok, back to whining.

2. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can you give Hack a pass for the fact that not one, not two, but almost every player on the roster fails to mark properly? Marking is a basic skill. The players can do it. The reason they aren't is because they aren't being drilled on it in practice and don't understand their responsibilities. Maurice Edu, for example, spent several years as a USMNT starter. He is a very good player. Do you think he wouldn't pick up Henry on that first goal if he understood what his responsibilities were? On the second, why does Maidana not pick up the second or third runner? Every week it's a different villain.
    He was moving at a light jog, at best. Almost a walk.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  3. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First you ask this.
    Then you say this.
    Welcome to the Flip Flop Flotilla.

4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, totally not. Hey I get blaming the coach in the NFL, where coaches have a major hand in every single play. In soccer, Individual brilliance and creativity can paper over a ton of cracks. In MLS, individual talent is a major difference maker. Look at MTL with DiVaio, and NY with Olave & Henry. Take away those players and what do you have? Two teams that wallow in the pack of mediocrity that is 2/3 of MLS that largely park the bus and count on a set-piece or a counter attack goal to grind out results. Not to mention that once the match starts, coaches don't have a ton of influence outside of their 3 subs, and half time.

Look, I'm not Hackworth's biggest fan by any stretch, but I also don't want to go through another 2012 mid-season reboot, and subsequent off-season purge either. Look at the teams who in MLS who are good year after year (LAG, SKC, HOU, SEA,). One thing they all have in common is continuity (roster, FO, technical staff). The teams that haven't been as good have a ton of turnover and are quick to fire their manager/coach (DCU, CHV, TFC).

Doop and Dills repped this.
  5. hug.the.post

hug.the.post Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Delaware county
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If you need to explain to a player that an opposing player should be covered when sitting 10 yards in front of your net I really don't think you should be playing at this level.
    He was tired, he was out of position and he had a brain fart. It's not coaching, it's not , not knowing your responsibilities. If it was those two reasons you would see that the whole game. Why is it we give up goals in the last 3 minutes of games? They are getting gassed and when they do mental lapses occur.

6. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #231 LINETRASH, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
    So the sub was a mistake then....:thumbsup:

Wait a minute Dills.....you can't slam journos for half quotes and then do one yourself....there was more to his post there.

Seems to happen to us frequently.....fitness not good enough? Is that coaching?

UnionDues and Handsome Pete repped this.
  7. hug.the.post

hug.the.post Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Delaware county
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    When are you fit enough? If a guy gives 110% on the field and at the end of the game is able to jog to the locker room maybe he should have given 130% on the field. I don't think it's fitness and I don't think it's coaching but as a player you need to keep your head in the game no matter what the level of fatigue is.

It's hard to coach that after the preseason because it would require you to run them into the ground during practice and during last half hour or so requiring them to do a drill than not only requires stamina but some mental component. I guess I'm just tried of hearing its Hacks fault. Edu is a class player and trying to say that its Hack's fault that Edu didn't see Henry open and Edu didn't know it should be his responsibility to get his body onto Henry is a little bit of a joke.

8. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you about the player mistakes.....but you're the second poster to mention tired players.....and this is me armchairing here, if you were worried about tired players and then playing again on Saturday, why not set the team up defensively and go for the road draw or sneak the win instead of starting players where you are handcuffed to change the game later?
    Hack had plenty of time to see this on the schedule and plan accordingly. He also mentioned prior to the game he was happy with the depth and he could rest players.....it seems players meant Carroll. I would've either have kept Fernandes or Le Toux on the bench for late game subs instead of subbing Hoppenot. And another thing.... I guess only Wenger and Maidana get tired but Edu and Nogueira can play every minute of every game and they're fine....ok good.

LuckyStriker and BuddhaWake repped this.
  9. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #234 Ascalz, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    The full quote doesn't make him sound much better.

It wasn't good enough when we gave up the late goal to Portland OR the two failure to mark goals against Columbus OR the goal to Montreal that we were up a man for in the 80th minute or the tying goal to Chicago in the 86th minute OR the utter failure to help MacMath after the PK in the RSL game, as well as the team utterly brain farting on marking Beckerman and allowing him to streak unmarked into the box to score the 2nd goal. In two games the Union have had a man advantage with a grand total of 35 minutes and how many shots on goal have they had in that time frame?

One shot on goal, two if you count "headed shot on target" according to the chalkboard.

Both of those opportunities came during the Montreal game, we generated nothing against New York last night. I find that to be unacceptable. Period.

You can argue, "Oh well the other team bunkered down and didn't allow any easy opportunities at the net" and that's a fair point, except for the fact that when other teams bunker, its an impregnable fortress that we can't break down. When we do it, its only a matter of time until the other team scores the equalizer because we concede over half the field to them and refuse to play offense anymore.

The team has consistently been utterly failing at basic marking which at this level is absolutely pathetic. Here is Hackworth on the matter,

Also this quote

He said both after the Columbus game, it seemed back then he was well aware of the team's defensive issues but so far has utterly failed to address them.

amusiccale, UnionDues, Tyr and 2 others repped this.
  10. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Union aren't like any of those teams. The common factor they share in 4 of 5 years is incontinence. They are a serious threat to shit themselves in any phase at any given moment.

TheVisualizer and UnionDues repped this.
  11. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Not here to troll but Ben Olsen is the fifth-longest serving coach in MLS and has been at DCU since 2010. DC does have a ton of turnover, though.

Thx,

Jay!

12. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the comfort of my couch, I felt that Lahoud was basically playing CB and letting Wheeler press forward. Thought that was a halfway decent idea by Hack.

Taking off Wenger instead of Seba was idiocy, though. I'm not sure I saw a reason for Carroll being sat down, but if it was a non-medical reason I give Hack credit for benching him. I don't agree with his managing, and I'm ready to see a new face at the helm but benching the captain takes balls. Credit where its due. But that being said, if he can bench Carroll then he can bench Seba too. Let's see what the wunderkid Zach Pfeffer can do.

13. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zach is still at a USMNT thing at the moment, so he won't be available for selection.

EmeraldDawn repped this.