2014 Matchday #7: Red Bulls v Union, April 16, 2014 p/d/p (R)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by aztec21bas, Apr 14, 2014.

?

Predict The Outcome: Red Bulls v. Union

Poll closed Apr 16, 2014.
  1. Win

54.5%
  2. Loss

22.7%
  3. Tie

22.7%
  1. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]VS. [​IMG]

DATE / TIME:
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014
    7:30 PM EDT

MATCH PREVIEW:
    MLS Golazo!

VENUE:
    [​IMG]
    Red Bull Arena
    Harrison, NJ
    Tickets

GAMETIME FORECAST:
    Moon.png
    Clear
    Temp: 46
    Feels Like: 40

TELEVISION BROADCAST:
    TCN - The Comcast Network
    COMCAST: Channel 846 HD, 8 SD
    Verizon FiOS: Channel 99 SD

CURRENT MLS STANDINGS

MLS INJURY REPORT

MLS DISCIPLINE REPORT

LAST MEETING:
    Saturday, August 17, 2013
    Red Bull Arena / Harrison, NJ
    New York Red Bulls 0 – Philadelphia Union 0
    Game Recap and Highlights
    MLS Matchcenter

VixPix, amusiccale and CyphaPSU repped this.
  2. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a rivalry? Seems like this game is being greeted with a collective yawn, with the game thread going up less than 48 hours before the game and no comments on it. Is anyone actually travelling for this? Terrible time for it to be scheduled, IMO.

3. aztec21bas

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It went up tonight because I was overloaded this weekend AND I had no internet. It would have gone up sooner, sorry. Yes, I am traveling up to RBA on Wednesday night.

4. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    draw.jpg What else to expect?

jess370 repped this.
  5. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im going, but I do not really want to.

6. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see a win, despite the Union's history at RBA. This is a pretty poor Red Bull side.

I don't know how MLS doesn't put this game on a weekend.

7. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    our 3rd away match against a winless team. i hate playing winless teams because probability dictates they are going to win at some point. however, ill say 1-1. more ties than mens warehouse.

also, ill agree with the poor scheduling of this one. weds night games this early in the season are lackluster.

I cant believe we play them midweek TWICE. i bet the game here will be 3/4 full.

8. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be there. I am fairly certain that less than half of all seats will be filled.

9. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    are you talking about tomorrow or at the home game in july? i meant the game here as in PPL aka the mens warehouse. RBA is going to empty, i cant imagine the pain in the ass to get there at 7 pm on a weeknight

10. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Went to every RBA game the first 3 years. Midweek is tough enough for home games.

It's not only the cows that are winless, WE are winless up there! So maybe the law of averages goes our way! Feel like it is possible this time.

11. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant tomorrow's game. Planning to leave around 4:00.

12. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm heading up there for the game. Because of the train access, I find it easy to get to.

MLS was very foolish this year in scheduling. The league stated a couple of years ago how it saw the growth of the league invariably linked with the growth of rivalries and that they wanted to foster more traveling team support for its fans. So, the league went to an imbalanced schedule which favored geographic rivals. So, in 2014 how have they continued that stated goal? By scheduling New York and Philadelphia to have not one, but two midweek matches. Thus, the league guarantees to keep down the number of both home and away fans when recent history has shown that this match up can garner plenty of away support for weekend matches.

13. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    i guess they figure these matches have the best chance of drawing people, and easier travel for the visiting team. I think maybe the break for the world cup is also factoring in the getting these matches played.

14. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, PPL has become a draw factory. Expect a website puff piece soon telling us how wonderful it is that the team is undefeated at home.

15. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand what you mean. If they have to schedule midweek games because of the WC break, we all get that. I assume the league is concerned about travel time for midweek matches for the teams. But, why not schedule a quick flight game like Toronto or Montreal or Columbus or NE midweek instead of the games which are local enough to garner significant away support? Seattle, for example, only has weekend clashes with its geographic neighbors because the league values the Cascadia traveling support. I just don't see the consistency in the league's scheduling.

16. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    #16 ericlfd, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2014
    reminds me of that commercial in the simpsons episode where they go to the soccer game. " It's all here--fast-kicking, low scoring, and ties? You bet!"

no hotel, no airport for this one. ha. but seriously, thats probably why.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  17. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but to discuss the actual match...

A couple of keys to the match for the Union will be to limit Dax McCarty time and space on the ball and to be mindful of Cahill's late attacking runs. A decent amount of New York's attack is sprung through Dax, if you give him time and space he will find Henry, et al. I think Edu will be counted on to help in that effort. Tim Cahill is scheduled to return and he's a menace when he gets inside the penalty area. I think Carroll will be critical here, along with the center backs, being mindful of his late runs into the area. Communication on whose responsibility Cahill is when the Red Bulls attack will be important. I think his inclusion in the lineup takes the Red Bulls up a notch from what they have been in the past few games.

Thierry Henry against the mistake-ridden Union back line is a concern. He may be old and slower but he can still pull off a quick, accurate shot given an inch of space. They need to mark him at all times in and around the area.

drewuke repped this.
  18. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    cahill is coming off an injury, and just practiced for the first time yesterday. seems as if its up in the air if he plays.

that said, henry terrifies me

unrelated- reading the article on the NYRB site, this is the ad to the left. is it stereotyping slightly? [​IMG]

19. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just going on the info the Shep Messing was giving during their broadcast over the weekend. If Cahill can't go then it certainly helps the Union, all-the-more to focus on Dax, then.

20. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I LOVE the road win optimism. All you Posidelphians (I may have just invented a word), you've been watching the games, reading the blogs, tweeting the twits, and NOTHING can keep you down! Love it.

I'ma egg the mall Easter Bunny to bring some balance back into the equation.

UnionDues repped this.
  21. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, you'll complain about anything.

Brad's doing a bang-up job, but he doesn't have to be the only one to put up the gameday threads.

Doop, jess370, jaykoz3 and 1 other person repped this.
  22. aztec21bas

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well thanks @Dills! I'd just as soon keep doing them, it keeps a level of consistency. It was late this week because Comcast F.... me. I had no internet, phone or cable for almost a week, and then they blew off their scheduled appointment Friday. I just got everything back online yesterday. I like doing them, so I'll keep 'em rolling if that's OK. BTW, have I told you all lately how much I HATE!!! Comcast!?

23. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoy the consistency. I think you do a great job with them.

BuddhaWake and aztec21bas repped this.
  24. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, it's more than OK. I'm just saying that it would take less effort for someone to start up the gameday thread than to bitch about one not being live 48 hours before kickoff.

aztec21bas repped this.
  25. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet if you ask them about it, they'll say they tried to call to reschedule but you didnt answer