2014 Matchday #6: Union v RSL, April 12, 2014 p/d/p (R)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by aztec21bas, Apr 6, 2014.

?

Predict The Outcome: Union v. RSL

Poll closed Apr 12, 2014.
  1. Win

10.0%
  2. Loss

65.0%
  3. Tie

25.0%
  1. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you, but let me add to your comments.

BC is a solid player. With few turnovers and is the kind of low/midrange budget player that every MLS team needs, with our salary cap.

His two biggest faults:
    1) He is captain. So Yes, he is under a microscope. By being captain you are held to a higher standard.
    2) His turnover numbers are low. However, his turn overs have cost us significant goals this year. In fact if you go back to the highlights is was a bad pass from Carrol that almost put us down 2-0 in the opening minutes if it were not for a spectacular foot save from McMath.

My personal opinion is that Carrol is Captain out of wanting some team consistency. If it wasn't for that, I would personally want Edu as Captain.

derek750 repped this.
  2. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for lack of turnovers, the only thing that tells me is that you're probably playing too many safe little square passes.
    That looks great on a stat sheet but doesn't do sh!t for anybody out on the field.
    Edu has been making some outstanding passes out there this year.
    He had one yesterday where he switched fields and put it right at the feet of the LB coming up the field, pretty awsome.

3. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way to give a DFK there instead of the PK, which Berry earned, would be to completely ignore where the foul took place and throw the laws of the game out the window. There's nothing even close to factually accurate in your post.

BuddhaWake and slitz repped this.
  4. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, one of them definitely is. The other one needs to work a bit on passing accuracy and hitting dead ball set-pieces.

Lancaster FC and Handsome Pete repped this.
  5. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I have no idea why LeToux is doing corner kicks and dead balls. He can't possibly be the most accurate player on the team.

cwelch999, Handsome Pete and CyphaPSU repped this.
  6. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    we've been asking this question for 5 years now. It would seen like he'd be a decent header of the ball if he ever put himself in that position.

7. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also split two defenders with a through ball to Wenger (I think) that lead him into the area. It didn't turn into a goal, but it generated a basic opportunity that we would not have seen last year.

8. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. He needs to take Jermaine Jones' job because Jones looks like sheet right now.

9. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thinnest ice for a manager with only one loss this season? I think so.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  10. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    i am optimistic after that match. RSL is a very tough opponent, and we handled them most of the match. To use a soccer cliche, it was a bit of an "unlucky result" with an extremely flimsy penalty call early. But, im encouraged at how they fought the come back. poor defending was to blame for the 2 goals, and casey has to put 1 of his 2 late chances at least on frame. maidana looked good again, and noguiera is the man. im expecting some positive results soon.

TabLalas repped this.
  11. Bart1986

Bart1986 Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Before using stats, you must understand it. Of course Carroll loose the ball a lot less than other players: he's always passing the ball laterally, or to the defenders. He never take any risk on that regard.

When you're in the opposing side, trying to create offence for your forwards (like Edu, Le Toux or Nogueira often do), it is not the same thing, the passes you attempt are more difficult, and if it's not successfull, you have time to go back and defend. However, when Carroll lose the ball in his side, with one of his easy lateral pass, the whole team is in danger.

His turnovers were obvious not because everyone is looking for them, just because it is not the same thing to turn the ball over with an easy pass on the defensive side, than to turn it over in the opposing side when you're trying to create offence.

I like Carroll a lot because of his toughness, his menatlity (you can call it "veteran presence" I guess), but with Edu and Nogueira, he's not as important as he was before.

PS: sorry for my poor english.

uncleo, UnionDues, billf and 4 others repped this.
  12. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year notwithstanding ... his dead ball service has regressed.

13. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not about to give the match an asterisk, because they were still a tough opponent and the point was more than I expected. I might be mistaken, but that was far from their preferred starting XI.

14. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    it is, but they are still undefeated and lauded for their depth.

15. Amscray

Amscray Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Aug 24, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said. The issue isn't whether Carroll is valuable, its whether he's valuable in the current setup. For whatever reason, Carroll was playing in between our centerbacks for much of the match. With the backs pushed up as high as they were, it was a very odd formation to watch. I get the whole 4-3-3 thing but it looked more like a 3-4-3 to me at times.

Still, I was encouraged by the match. Give me a few moments of Nog and Edu brilliance and I'm happy. We need to take some pressure off of Big Orange somehow.

Good enough for me, Bart.

16. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the outside backs pushing up it left a lot of space for RSL to work with at times, someone had to help cover for that (Carroll). I'm okay with Hackworth keeping Carroll deep given Edu and Nogueira in front of him and in light of the defensive lapses our guys are prone to.

What I think needs to be considered, though, is finding a different way to provide width. Le Toux has been irrelevant acting essentially as right wing, and the outside backs struggle with service when they push up.

17. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Who were they missing besides Plata? Not sure if he starts or they use him as a super sub anyway.

18. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    not that it would have def mattered, but no rimando.

19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nick "pot belly pig" Rimando and Robbie Findley, although I don't see the latter as a starter.

20. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL was missing several key players. Rimando, Plata, Findley, and Gil were all out.

21. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We only had 2 shots on target so it doesn't matter who was in goal.

22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We also had 2 goals, so maybe it does matter. ;)

Handsome Pete repped this.
  23. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Forgot about Gil. Attinella is a very good backup so I'm not sure Rimando's absence made a difference.

24. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wenger has played RM/RW in his career, in fact he played it on Saturday when Casey came in. While I liked Wenger up top, a Maidana-Casey-Wenger top 3 should be something to try.

Amscray repped this.
  25. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats my prefered front line if Hack insists on 4-3-3. put Nogs, Edu and Leo in the midfield.

and yes, I know carroll has to play somewhere. i'm just dreaming