2014 Matchday #6: Union v RSL, April 12, 2014 p/d/p (R)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by aztec21bas, Apr 6, 2014.

?

Predict The Outcome: Union v. RSL

Poll closed Apr 12, 2014.
  1. Win

10.0%
  2. Loss

65.0%
  3. Tie

25.0%
  1. UdiHrant

UdiHrant Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite the current standings and the continued inability to stay focused past the 80th minute - this looks to be the best squad that the U have ever fielded. A team built from the midfield, a team counting on possession and tight passing and overlapping runs instead of one or two 'superstars' or thugball tactics takes some time to gell. I'm sure everyone has noticed that over he pas 6 months this side has quietly grown too good for Torres, Daniel, and maybe Cruz and Lahoud. This should make us happy. What makes me kinda sad is that there is no logical reason for our captain to dress for a match. His extremely weak game has completely fallen apart this year.

On another note - I sit in 104 and Berrys' penalty was legit. It also looked like Leo won 2. There was no replay on the big board and non on MLS.COM and I forgot to record the game. Does anyone know if there is a replay scheduled anywhere?

On a technical note - is it just me or does this message board make your keyboard act broken? I can't type without constantly skipping characters...

2. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Toronto? Chivas? NYRB?

4. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good:

The midfield held their own against RSL and did well enough in possession (though, I still think RSL looked better at passing & moving).

Where would this team be without the skill of Nogueira?

I've been critical of Gaddis' passing, but I want to give him credit for simplifying things a bit and making the smarter passes today as well as mostly taking care of the ball.

I was more pleased with Hackworth's subs than usual, he changed things up just a bit. Maidana was bright with his service from the wing.

Bad:

This looks to be the starting back line and, unfortunately, they had some horrid moments. As a unit they are not near the league's best. Too much space was given throughout the match and Berry needs to win that ball on the second RSL goal. Watching the outside backs try to serve balls into the area is difficult.

When Carroll makes a bad pass it really can, and at times, does punish the Union. At this point in his career, it is what it is with Carroll. I was happy to see him subbed off for a different look.

Le Toux needs to sit for a bit. He's mostly been absent during the run of play, tends to wait too long to make a pass, and does not deliver accurate balls on set-pieces with any regularity.

Very inconsistent officiating.

cwelch999 repped this.
  5. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im appalled of all the "Stealing a point," "Salvaging a point," "Finally scoring late".... Did everyone forget that we blew it ourselves first? Rather than stealing a point, more like saving our ass. Two lousy goals cost us the game.

1. PK or not, outside the box or not, that was lazy defending. Mistimed completely, weather he touched him or not, it gave the opportunity to dive or little contact. Zero blame to the ref from me, all the blame to the shit defending. ON TOP OF THAT, Zac saved the PK, and no one "boxed out" (Yes Basketball terms).
    2. Whomever pointed above with the pic, we had 3 guys playin with themselves leaving Beckerman wide open.

We saved our ass twice. This team will go no where because they either have to save their ass after going behind off something stupid, or they blow it after playing well. YES PLAYING WELL. They have looked good some halves this season, but just ruin it with stupid stupid stupid.

thomas19064 and UdiHrant repped this.
  6. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was good to have Sheanon back, but he didn't look 90 min fit. Then he started to flop. Once that starts getting a real pushing foul, which one of them was, wasn't going to happen. Sheanon, you are one of the better backs in the league, you gotta do better than that.

ps. I also agree Philly did flop a couple times today, but taking a guys legs out from behind is a penalty every time. The fact that we haven't had a PK since 2012 means we aren't getting the benefit of the doubt.

which means, we need to prepare better, and not play for a call, but play through it.

7. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree Berry committed a foul, and I also agree it was a poor decision to commit a foul at the edge of the box and put the referee in a position where he has to make a judgment call as to whether it was in the box or not.

However, it was a poor call by the referee. He did not have the correct position or line of sight to determine whether the foul was in the box or not, but his assistant did. The referee pointed to the spot immediately after blowing the whistle, so he didn't take the time to speak with his assistant, who was the only person in position to determine if it was in the box or not. When there is any question over whether a foul was in the box or not, the referee should use all the tools at his disposal to make the right decision, and he didn't.

Furthermore, since it was unclear where the foul was committed, it was a judgement call, so the referee should have considered the fact that the RSL player's momentum was carrying him out of the box and away from the goal, not towards it. If he was headed towards the goal, then award the penalty.

In my (admittedly biased) opinion, the correct call was a direct free kick at the edge of area, not a penalty kick. But again, tonyunion2010 is correct, Berry should never have given the referee the opportunity to screw up the call in the first place.

TonyClarkDOOP repped this.
  8. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, question not really related to the game, does anyone know the name of the song used in the pump up video before the teams walk out on to the field? The one used in the 5th season video.

9. Bart1986

Bart1986 Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Things I noticed yesterday:

-Fernandes looks very talented (I've never seen him play before), but on a tactical level I just don't get where he was supposed to be on the field. I thought he was playing on the left wing, but Gaddis was always on his own. He also disappeared from time to time.

-Maidana impressed me a lot. He should be starting if healthy.

-I like Carroll, but he slows the team too much, and he seems like he can't pass the ball going forward. Maybe Fernandes should play in the midfield with Nogueira and Edu and Le Toux-Maidana on the wings.

-Nice start from Wenger. He brings a lot at the front of the attacking side.

-The defence was a nightmare, at the exception of Okugo. Williams looks overweight, Gaddis can only run, and Berry was not any good. Wheeler did a better job last week. A lot of work needs to be done at this end of the field.

-McMath was very solid as usual.

Lancaster FC repped this.
  10. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a fitness perspective Sheanon and Austin still aren't 100%. I thought Ray actually looked more comfortable being back on the left side. This flop talk is a little laughable since I saw RSL fall down and go boom (Morales anyone?) all day long and get rewarded for it.

The good news is that this years team actually fights when they're down a goal and has the ability to get it back. Drawing the MLS Cup runners up after spotting them a goal is still a pretty decent accomplishment.

Yes there's a lot that needs to improve, but it's on Hack to prove his worth. The FO spent for the pieces, and if he can't get it working by the World Cup break, time to toss him in the river after Saborio's ball.

11. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really think this is how the "microscope" that Carroll has been put under can skew how we view the matches. The chalkboard actually shows that BC7 ended up with only 5 unsuccessful passes (broken up, intercepted, etc.) and was only dispossessed 6 times during the match.

By comparison, Edu turned the ball over via pass 9 times, and was dispossessed 9 times. Nogs had 11 passes miss their mark, and lost the ball 15 times. LeToux had another miserable game, 10 missed passes, and 11 dispossessions.

BC7's turnovers were obvious because everyone is looking for them, and, they did stunt the offensive push. However, in the end, 5 turnovers from the pass out of 51 attempts still yields a 90%+ success rate of distribution. Hardly a "turnover machine."

The chalkboard is interesting. I've glanced at it in previous seasons, but the last season and current season are the first ones where I've actually crunched some of the numbers. I wonder how many other times my perception of a player has been way off from what the numbers say.

miked9, Yo-Joe, Handsome Pete and 2 others repped this.
  12. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good ... we fought tooth and nail against one of the better teams in the league, and didn't lose.
    The bad ... we didn't win.

cwelch999 and Handsome Pete repped this.
  13. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he landed with his feet nearly touching the chalk of the 18. unless he was hit and fell directly down, which he didn't (you conceded as much above with his momentum), it stands to reason that the foul happened in the box. I only got a C in college in physics and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn express last night, but it makes sense.

your comment about heading to goal v away from goal is meaningless. if the foul is in the box, it doesn't matter which way he is headed

UdiHrant repped this.
  14. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't to really say we got shafted by a couple non-PKs ourselves, but refs tend to do make-up calls later on in the match. With such a borderline PK to RSL, especially so early in the match, I'm surprised the ref didn't call either/both of those PKs for us.

mattylip repped this.
  15. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seems our club has a rep for being divers

lopezzzz and Handsome Pete repped this.
  16. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't surprised he didn't award us a penalty, but I was pissed off. The first one was absolutely a PK, Leo was tackled from behind in the box, if that's not a PK I don't know what is. In the first match of the season he was the head official for Seattle/SKC, CJ Sapong literally tackled Kenny Cooper (? Memory is fuzzy) right in front of him in the area preventing a goal scoring opportunity. He swallowed his whistle. I was fairly shocked he awarded RSL the PK. Although from my vantage point in 138, I couldn't tell if the foul occurred inside or outside of the area. After watching the replay, it looked like Garcia made a meal of it from certain angles. It was a bang bang play, and like other posters have said Berry put the official in a position to make a decision. In the end Mental Lapse FC undid all of their hardworking and good play in the match.

One other thing, didn't MLS state that they told the officials to crack down on clutching and grabbing in the Box during set pieces/restarts? Fairly certain Austin Berry was tackled on a Sheanon long Throw-in in the second half......

17. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Hackworth's directions to Berry were "stand around with your thumb up your a$$ all game" then I think Berry executed that to a T.
    LeToux just looked bad to me and as others have said Williams spend half the game on the ground.
    You really had to feel for MacMath, he played his butt off and the Union defense were all asleep out there.
    On that 2nd goal, Berry's attempt was totally laughable.
    There are still some good things to take away, just love watching Edu and Noguira out there.

18. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some thoughts on the game:
    - Austin Berry was simply dreadful. Caught out of position repeatedly and exposed for lack of pace. Did his best Danny Cruz impession to give away the PK.
    - Noguiera is a player that this team should build around. He has a great engine, a smooth touch, and commitment to both sides of the ball. He's fast becoming my favorite player on the team.
    - MacMath put in a pretty solid shift. Another great PK save only to be disappointed by his teammates who failed to follow up on the rebound. He's making Blake look like surplus. Hopefully he can continue his good form and stop falling asleep on distance shots.
    - How does no one mark Beckerman on that run into the box? Simply awful stuff.
    - Nice to see Wenger slot one away on his debut.
    - Gaddis gave away the ball cheaply so many times that I lost count.
    - This wing play with low percentage crosses into the box is a frustrating reminder of what the team looked like last year. There are not the players on the roster to execute this type of play effectively.
    - Le Toux looked feeble and was completely ineffective. Might be time for him to see the bench.
    - It seems like the ideas are there on the attack but the team cannot execute.

BuddhaWake, Handsome Pete and TabLalas repped this.
  19. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has he Union ever had anyone as fantastic as Nogueira?

[​IMG]

UnionizedPA, slitz, CyphaPSU and 10 others repped this.
  20. UdiHrant

UdiHrant Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you Pharm. Great finish - UNBELEIVABLE pass! Where is Ray Hudson to wet his pants over that one?!

21. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is all connected to me. Surplus, no. Trade Bait.....uh-huh......and not cheap either.
    There is no "wing play" -because there are no true wingers. If you want some, go get some.
    LeToux is a forward, it's time to end the RM experiment.
    The fullbacks can defend, but they have no talent to attack. Stop trying to fit square pegs in round holes. If you had a LB who could run and cross it, and a right sided winger with pace and skill to keep Nog from having to run around like a chicken with its head cut off covering everywhere you'd have the 3-way go you'd need to win games. Why this coach doesn't see it is just beyond me.

22. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Le Toux is a forward for a first-year team with no better options. We have better options now. I don't know if you're suggesting we make him a forward or bench/trade him, but I would prefer the latter.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  23. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Last one you know isn't an option though. He needs replacing @ RM/RW. Can't be much doubt about it at this point.

24. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Are you implying it's not deserved? If nothing else, Sak needs to bring in Carlos Ruiz as an assistant coach to teach them to do it effectively.

Our French forwards are quite skilled at weakly falling to the ground in the box when a shot on goal would be much more effective.

Ascalz, slitz and Handsome Pete repped this.