2014 Lamar Hunt US Open Cup [Crew board]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by cleazer, Apr 24, 2014.

1. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The details and early round schedules have finally been released:

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/04/24/09/27/140424-usoc-2014-tournament-announcement

There are 80 teams this year. MLS teams will enter in the 4th round, which will be played June 10-18, during the league's break for the World Cup. So if the Crew gets drawn against a team that does not have a game scheduled for June 14 or 15, we might actually have a weekend Open Cup game!

The First round just features 8 games on May 7. The only game that would fall into our geographic region (and thus may impact us in the future) would be:

RWB Adria (IL) USASA) at Detroit City FC (NPSL)
    May 7, 7:00pm
    Stevenson High School, Livonia MI

The second round will have 24 games. The following could potentially impact our schedule:

Dayton Dutch Lions (USL) at Schwaben FC (IL) (USASA)
    May 14, 4pm central
    Schwaben Athletic Club, Buffalo Grove IL

New York Red Bulls U-23s (NPSL) / Vermont Voltage (PDL) winner at Pittsburgh Riverhounds (USL)
    May 14, 7:00pm
    Highmark Stadium, Pittsburgh PA

Michigan Bucks (PDL) at Detroit City FC (NPSL)
    May 14, 7:00pm
    Stevenson High School, Livonia MI
    OR
    RWB Adria (USASA) at Michigan Bucks (PDL)
    May 14, 7:30pm
    Ultimate Soccer Arenas, Pontiac MI

The Third Round will introduce the NASL teams, including Indy Eleven.

Of course as we've seen in the past, not all matchups can be strictly geographical, but you'd figure that the winner of the Indy Eleven game has a pretty good shot at being matched up against either the Crew or the Fire.

chr1st and CrewV Man repped this.
  2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surprised to see the Des Moines Menace listed as an amateur side. I though they were USL.

THOMA GOL repped this.
  3. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I just looked up some of the local teams:

-The whole NASL is taking a World Cup break just like MLS, so Indy (or any other NASL team we might be drawn against) will be available for a weekend game June 14.

-Pittsburgh has games on June 11 and 14, so we'd have to play them on June 17 or 18.

-Dayton has a game on June 11 but not on the weekend, so we should be able to play them June 14 or 15.

-Old opponent Rochester has games on June 11 and 14, so we'd have to play them on June 17.

-Michigan Bucks have a game scheduled June 15, so we'd have to play them in Tuesday or Wednesday game.

-Detroit City has a game scheduled June 15, so we'd have to play them midweek too.

4. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Des Moines is a PDL side, same level as the Michigan Bucks. However, I don't think Des Moines qualified. I think the team we're seeing is actually the Des Moines U-23 team that won a USASA tournament to get in.

5. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we play Dayton, will our loanees be able to play against us?

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked at their website and it seems to be the same team. They are advertising as such, anyway. Maybe there is more than one way to qualify--if you are amateur.

7. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's going to get injured this season?

8. CBusAlex

CBusAlex Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando City's loanees weren't allowed to play against Kansas City in their open cup matchup last year. Unless that rule has changed, I wouldn't expect Dayton's to play against Columbus either.

9. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Yeah, I think they did not get one of the PDL's slots (however that was decided) so they had to qualify through regional tournament.

I went to the Des Moines - Minnesota United FC Open Cup game last year... which Des Moines won.

10. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Yep, looks like Menace finished 3rd in their division last year.

First place team is in Canada so not eligible to play in the USOC. Second place team in the division was Real Colorado Foxes who are listed in the PDL grouping.

11. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought there isn't technically a rule, but parent clubs are allowed to tell the loanee's club he can't play against them. Just about everywhere in the world, loanees don't play against their parent club. Though we just saw Courtois play against Chelsea on Wednesday in the Champions League semi.

12. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a mockery we have been since '02 in this beloved tournament. I hope that changes under our new management.

13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Weren't we in a final a few years ago?

kgilbert78 repped this.
  15. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I feel like Jardy mentioned, when the players were loaned out, they'd be available to play against the Crew in an Open Cup game.

16. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2010. We did pretty well, but then Seattle magically got the game at home so we went there and lost, since Robert was still busy being Sigi's bitch at that point.

614life repped this.
  17. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was there!

Lucky Day repped this.
  18. 614life

614life Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I didn't realize he ever stopped

19. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Took a look-see at the Schwaben FC website and they appear to be a proud little club. When I lived in Toledo, there also was a decent old-time Schwaben club. Should have taken advantage of that VfB opportunity. :(

20. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, I believe RW has a 1-match winning 'streak' at Seattle.

21. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    If I remember correctly we were 1-0 up and coasting, and then the hebrew hammer got all jumpy and create their goal and we subsequently collasped into a gibbering wreck of a team.

22. mclip_66

mclip_66 Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I find it interesting the MLS is taking a mini break for the World Cup but US Soccer is not.

"There are 80 teams this year. MLS teams will enter in the 4th round, which will be played June 10-18, during the league's break for the World Cup."

If it was the pre-MLS part of the cup that would make sense since there shouldn't be any World Cup players involved in those games but for MLS teams but I would think US Soccer would want to see the best possible players playing in its domestic cup.

23. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Well it's only the first round with MLS teams. Each year we see MLS teams bounced out early but theoretically that shouldn't be happening even with a few back ups in on each team.

US Soccer knows that nobody will watch that round anyway, so having non-starters play in the matches isn't detracting from whatever interest is there from an MLS perspective.

24. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That isn't stopping Sigi from whining about it.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ss-sigi-schmid-questions-matches-during-world

25. The Misanthrope

Aug 8, 2008
    Columbus Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An International for a country that is participating in the WC, would most likely not play in a 4th round Open Cup game anyway, so they probably figured why not. I would think MLS Teams would want to play a game where a lot of second team guys normally play anyway...mix in a few starters to keep them in Game shape.

Also, it would be cool if they would coordinate with the WC for Double header, Open Cup Game and Viewing party. Might get a better crowd.