2014 In-Season Player Movement Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by revsfan603, Mar 8, 2014.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His MLS rights. Its like when a player turns down a MLS team's contract offer and goes to Europe. If he comes back the team that made him the offer still owns his rights.

2. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rivero's been assigned a kit number and everything. That seems to indicate he's officially been signed, so either he was purchased from Rosario or released by them, right?

3. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    He would go through the allocation order. And TFC is currently #1 in that allocation order.

I think he was out of contract with Rosario but the Rapids couldn't come to terms with him. I assumed that with the emergence of Powers and the addition of Mari that there wasn't really any room for him in the midfield.

JasonMa repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, looks like he was out of contract with Rosario and has been avoiding signing a contract in South America because he wanted to stay in MLS. Rosario had a buy clause in his loan with Colorado that the Rapids didn't want to pay so I assume everyone just waited him out until he was out of contract. Because he wasn't coming back we got Jose Mari, it wasn't his presence that pushed Rivero out of the plans (though Powers play probably had a large effect).

5. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they? Will it be another loan so Toronto can continue stack their team? How soon before the bullshit transfers end? We're heading towards a less popular NBA with bigger markets getting the benefit of doubt with player transfers. It's all marketing. This stuff makes the league look like shit in the eyes of doubters.

6. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    They were #3 going into the year. Philly traded up to take Edu and Seattle had #2 in a trade with Chivas that let them get Pappa. So now they are #1. And I'm glad to see you are flipping out over "bullshit" that hasn't even happened yet and all we have is a bunch of conjecture.

When Saturday Comes repped this.
  7. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto was 3rd in the allocation order by virtue of their 17th place finish last year. Chivas and DC were ahead of them. DC traded their slot to Philadelphia who used it on Maurice Edu and Chivas traded their allocation slot to Seattle who used it on Marco Pappa, leaving Toronto at the top of the allocation order. No funny business at all.

If you want to say the allocation order is no longer necessary (which is an argument that could easily be made), then fine, but in this case there isn't anything untoward or anything that shows that MLS wants a player to go to TFC.

Defoe, Gilberto and Cesar went through the same transfer mechanisms that any foreign player goes through. They were simply aggressive moves by Lieweke.

The only thing that isn't part of MLS's standard rule book was the Bradley acquisition, but is in line with how Dempsey was acquired. Bradley could have gone to a couple of different clubs but chose Toronto. Exactly how things would happen if MLS didn't have allocation rules.

8. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly didn't know because I don't follow the allocation order. Only time I know who is up top is if the MLS website brings out the list. We don't even know how much allocation money each team has because it's still secret.

Plus the fact at any time MLS can include a rule not listed to get a player where they want.

9. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's worth noting that MLS has the allocation order on their website:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/allocation

Even so, it's pretty easy to figure out because it resets at the end of every year, with the worst team getting the first slot in the allocation order and the first place team getting the last spot in the allocation order. Any other changes have to be trades or uses of the allocation (which puts you at the back of the list).

As for the making up of rules thing, I'm sure it seems like rules are being made up in the middle of the season and such, but we as fans aren't privy to how things go down. We as fans weren't made aware of things like the retention fund until after it's use on several players, despite it being established league wide long before we found out. So just because we didn't hear about a rule until a certain point doesn't mean that teams haven't been able to take advantage of it before we heard of it.

Frustrating, yes, but it's likely only going to get murkier in the short term.

10. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where the ******** was that last year? I couldn't even find it navigating the site redesign.

11. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hararea repped this.
  12. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
  13. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids certainly aren't afraid to play youngsters, but he plays what happens to be our strongest position depth-wise.

Though if Mastroeni wants to move O'Neil forward, which has some wisdom, Agbossoumonde might be able to get some minutes.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hararea repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So essentially the Rapids traded Atiba Harris for Gale Agbossoumonde and a whole lot of cap room. Win.

Of course getting a box of rocks for Atiba Harris would be a win.

BulaJacket repped this.
  16. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Not disagreeing, although the Rapids also haven't begun paying for Harris yet. They originally acquired him in engage for an international slot in the 2015 and 2016 seasons.

Ismitje and JasonMa repped this.
  17. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And aren't the Rapids paying a big chunk of his salary this year with the Quakes?

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I get the Bofo departure from Chivas, but is Martin Chavez the answer?

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No but I had forgotten SJ also got allocation money in the deal to help offset salary issues.

20. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Not calling Chavez the answer, but he's had some very good stretches. Trading him to the team they were about to face was never going to be a good idea (and yes, I'm obviously saying that with the benefit of hindsight.

21. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    some rumours that Caps are in talks with Camilo again... (esp with Miller gone and Reo Coker apparently on the market)

22. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    And Camilo not getting paid.........

23. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fingers crossed that the "talks" consist of the Caps offering Camilo league minimum and some canned food...

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ImaPuppy repped this.
  25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006