2014 In-Season Player Movement Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by revsfan603, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jack Mac playing with Di Viao for a year sounds good though. Especially if he's gonna try his luck in Europe, he needs to soak up all he can in Montreal.

I wonder what level or league he'd end up at if he makes the move.

2. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wenger has peaked IMO. Should have stayed at CB coming out of college. Jack Mac struggling but has more upside. Jack Mac is still only 21, we have rookies older than that.

3. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If JMac is still pining to go overseas after this season, he needs to really start to up his game and show that the pre-Gold Cup form from last season was the rule, not the exception. That said, how much playing time will he get as second fiddle to Di Vaio?

4. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    he'll get enough. Montreal gotta have learned their lesson from last season. you have to manage mins of their older players more carefully (though di Vaio seems to have a lot of stamina for a geriatric)

5. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he wasn't going to re-sign at the end of the season that's fine. But they didn't get much in return, Wenger has been a draft pick bust.

6. MTL_Club

MTL_Club Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Good deal for Montreal IMO. Wenger doesn't have the finish to be a quality striker and not enough technical ability to be a good midfielder. Should have stayed a defender.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...-acquired-jack-mcinerney-key-piece-years-come

7. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better than nothing in return at all.

8. ENB Sports

ENB Sports Member

Feb 5, 2007
    MLS understanding always confuses me. If JMac wants to leave sell him in July take your part of the fee and buy a replacement at forward instead you bring in a yet proven player who is making $220,000 a year.

Even if its a cap move the Impact won.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because MLS gets a piece of the action, so not leaving as much for Union. Plus, since he is underperforming now, who is going to spend the semi-big bucks for him so Union can buy John Guidetti from ManCity?

Plus that would also mean that Philly has a great scout system in place to find the diamond in the rough.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  11. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    So with JMac going to Montreal that leaves 2 of the 16 first round picks in 2010 still on the same team that drafted them. Okugo and Estrada (who is out on loan this year).

12. ENB Sports

ENB Sports Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Vancouver sold Camillo (by force) and brought in 4 players Mezquida, Fernandez, Laba, Morales three making less than Wenger all probably better especially based on offensive skills.

Montreal could sell JMac and retire DiViao and sign Guidetti type if they want to pay him 5 mill a year and be in a better position than the Union next season - Anyway NYCFC will get Guidetti on loan.

13. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    I hope you know Wenger is only 23. Well he can always become a CB as well like Aaron Wheeler. No he has not peaked yet. Zusi was 23 in his rookie year, so was Arnor and Luis Silva. 23 is young.

14. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say Wenger has peaked as a forward, if he goes back to defender then you might be right.

15. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was about to reply to Mutinyfan, but then I realized it's just as same as replying to vevo5. totally pointless

HailtotheKing repped this.
  16. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    Bah.... Cynic. You guys are just saying Wenger is done. Give the kid a chance. He may not have fit the system of Montreal. He still can become something. Was Wondolowski a star at 23, no.

17. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    whispers in the dark corners say Brek Shea to TFC gaining traction. loan with option to buy, but nothing concrete yet

18. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    So who would TFC offload to make room?

19. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I dunno. but I think TFC is still sitting on a decent wad of allocation cash

20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Depends on the loan terms. However, I don't think they'll want to offload someone too good for a loan.

21. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Mark Hughes apparently is Nelsen's buddy and may do him a favour (another Cesar like loan where Stoke picks up most of wages?)

22. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shea should be subject to allocation. This transfer bullshit with USMNT players for marketing is getting old. This isn't the 90's anymore.

NYC FC is going to exploit this hard with youth team players from Man City and MLS will let them. We have a salary cap but favor certain markets with the hopes more people with pay attention to the league.

MLS has gone all in with the World Cup marketing so this happening wouldn't surprise me.

23. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    I just spent five minutes trying to figure out why Chivas had to trade for Rivero and whether he is still considered to be on loan from Rosario Central, now my head hurts.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Currently he's not on loan, but only because he (or Rosario) wouldn't agree to the offer the Rapids made. So they still own his MLS rights, thus the need for the trade.

25. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    That doesn't make sense. If they didn't agree to the Rapids' offer, they would still own his rights. If they didn't own his rights, why did the Rapids need to make an offer?