2014 Home Jersey

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by profiled, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
  2. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Yeah I think I agree it's better but still not great. I just saw a pic of all the new teams unis, I am really shocked at how poor Adidas has become in their design work. Sure some are nice but overall a letdown. Oh well, I am not a big jersey buyer anyways. Wish we could do another random color palette 3rd, kindanlike the Tigres one. Or maybe a Czexh style checkerboard. I assume they dont have a third because the two they have sell so poorly, it doesnt make financial sense?
    A cool contest idean would be fan design the 3rd btw.

3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Looking over the World Cup jerseys this year, I think both Adidas and Nike have lost their minds on some of them. Spain's away comes to mind. I also hate when they change the original shirt/short/sock colors to one solid color across the spectrum.

4. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the new jersey. It is fine. But now we are just another all red team. Which is fine. How about some white shorts or socks?

I still have not heard why they changed the hoop scheme. Because they weren't selling enough? I hope all the hoop-haters buy this one or otherwise we'll maybe change it up again in a few years and go Croatia on MLS. Hoops are a distinctive look. KC just got some hoops - bet they don't have a problem selling them.

Hopefully we can keep the hoops on our aways / change kit and keep fans of both styles happy.

5. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Agree on going Croat. Put a little crucifix on there as well.

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the hoop hater challenge. Will FC Dallas in their new un stripes outsell KC in their new stripes? If not then the stripes weren't the problem if so they were. Easy huh?

7. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking as a hoop hater, I DO like the KC hoops. I was surprised by my reaction. I guess it was never the hoops so much as the colors of the hoops.

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do agree the red and white stripes weren't the best colors as it was very obviously "where's waldo". I wish they had kept the black and red and done a look like Flamengo which looks great.

Also, I would be very interested in a sales comparison of recent US jerseys as they had a very near identical look with their own version of the red stripes. If sales were similar to other designs then what would that say?

9. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    I do think the hoop look for Dallas was exacerbated by the fact it was red and white... as mentioned "Where's Waldo" was the unintended effect. The concept of hoops itself is an oddity in American style to begin with, when you added that color combo, it just doomed it.

Example, as I've shown off before, I own a sample adidas away kit shown to FCD back in '07 as an option and wasn't chosen.

[​IMG]

Now, i think this is a quality option. You can see from the down-turned hoops, this dates back to the 3rd generation of the hoop design for Dallas.. The point is, much like with KC, hoops unto itself isn't wildly the worst design, but the color choice was. And if you look at today's away blue-white combo, I think we all agree that is a sharp looking jersey.

Red/white hoops - well, that was a doomed sales pitch from day one.

As for new new jersey, I like they went all red. But I wish they hadn't gone so overboard with the varied sized darker red lines... It's distracting and too busy... Just a straight version of the KC kit with alternating red, darker red stripes would have been a winner (with white shorts, of course)...

but from our informal open poll on the site, I am actually surprised by the overwhelming hate for the Advocare logo. I'm not convinced the issue has more to do with them being a MLM versus the look of the logo.

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in rare agreement with Hitman here. I do think red white stripes isn't the best combo but have to admit I loved the US in them so maybe I didn't like the weird versions FCD put out or the red shorts that went with them. I also agree that the new ones would look better with a simpler design instead of the bar code look. I also hope they have some alternate (white) shorts also as it is kids league to have two teams wearing the same color shorts and/or socks.

11. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    If you go with hoops you have to go all in and that means white shorts and striped socks.

VioletCrown repped this.
  12. gamekid2k

gamekid2k Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is not hoops, just another team with red jersey that's not distinguishable by casual fans. I screamed Chicago when I first saw it.

VioletCrown repped this.
  13. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care about Advocare being an MLM, euro teams have sports betting sponsors all over them. Money is money which is good for the team/league. However I do actually think it looks terrible as a logo for the jersey and even more so now. With the hoops it kind of got lost in the jersey just enough now its just in your face. It was much more noticeable watching the game last night than it had been. It looked bad IMO. I do think that perhaps going with a much darker red (right now you can't tell they exist unless you get a closeup) or a black for the hoops might solve the problems. It keeps to the hoop tradition of the club since the rebrand but it isn't red/white. I do think the biggest issue has been the way FCD/Adidas has been using the hoops rather than the design itself, but red/black hoops or red/really dark red would probably come off better.

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw on BigDSoccer where someone removed the blue part of the Advocare emblem and it looked much better. Part of the problem with the white and blue together is the sheer size and the lack of the primary red in that blob. Removing the blue allows the red into that space and is much, much better.

15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That does make it much better.

17. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And all they'd REALLY have to do is reprint the decals with whatever the pantone number is of the red behind the logo.

18. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want the hoops back. Red stripes on a red background looks idiotic. The 2010 jersey was nice and clean, though the solid-color panel in the back always bugged me. The new shirts just look like the guys have really weird sweat stains (though not as bad as the plastic X from years past).

VioletCrown repped this.
  19. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think a solid back is required for participation in CL.

20. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said elsewhere, utter crap. I was deeply saddened by this. What team is out there? Chicago? San Jose? Dallas? I have no effing clue. If they had at least gone with black shorts, going back to Burn days, I could have lived with it. Now, it's just a generic all-red rec/youth team.

I really am sick of the sports teams need to entirely change things every few years. If the NY Yankees started today, the pinstripes would never become iconic.

It's probably stupid, and I'll probably feel differently some day, but right now this feels like the final nail and I don't care about my original MLS team anymore.

21. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It just looks red. On the positive side I can make my own version of the jersey for much less than retail cost by buying a red t-shirt and putting an FCD badge on it. And I don't have to have Advocare's logo on it.
    I think there are two levels of objection to the Advocare logo on the jersey. First, that we have any corporate logo on the jersey at all. Second that it's an MLM company. I think as logos go, Advocare's is pretty good.
    If our shirt sponsor was Shiner Bock, many people would think that was really cool, but you'd still hate when you wore your shirt that more people would focus on Shiner Bock than FC Dallas.

22. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    if they wouldve done it without the blue as pegasus mentioned above, i think it makes a huge difference for the better. maybe next year.[​IMG]

23. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but Advocare's logo happens to be blue. So tough noogies for us.

24. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    tough noogies for them for not thinking ahead to when they would sponsor FCD...probably thought theyd never get big enough :)

25. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've never understood this complaint.

Jersey sponsors are a big reason why the sport is able to run for 45 minutes plus, without interruptions for commercial breaks. That's a huge plus in my book.