2014 Front Jersey Sponsor

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by RSLSteve, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Portland's. As for Chicago, at least they got the memo that the sponsor goes on the chest and not on the stomach.

2. ansbeezie

ansbeezie Member

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yeah, of the leaks, Chicago is the weakest, but that's only because they've got the same crappy unneccessary pattern in the middle of an out-of-left-field stripe thing happening. Theirs, however, at least looks like a cohesive design.. Someone needs to let Bill Manning know he should leave those decisions to his designers, or even to Adidas proper cause its pretty clear this isn't his forte. These Crayloa kits are, in my opinion, the worst we've *ever* had by a pretty wide margin. Definitely the worst in MLS this season based on what's come out so far, and I wouldn't be surprised if they rank among the worst in CONCACAF. My jealousy of other club's kits this season knows no bounds.

Honestly, I just hope these don't sell. Wishful thinking, I know, but its the only way they'll reevaluate their kit selection process. 2 years is a long time to be stuck with a bunch of merch that doesn't move.

BTW, I do think they'll look better on the field from a distance. The socks with the yellow crayola stripe do balance things out by just a bit, but as a standalone with no shorts or socks the thing is an unmitigated disaster. The only explantion that makes sense is that it was designed by someone from Colorado and Bill bought what they were selling hook line and sinker.

Ismitje repped this.
  3. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I like TFC's....

4. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revenge for the Beckerman trade? Fair enough.

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every time someone has brought up that RSL should get a black kit the excuse thrown back is that we can't use it. It's a color only a few teams can use. Am I the only one looking around, right now, wondering who exactly didn't make the list with us?

6. WYFC

WYFC New Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Rocky Mountains
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Keeping the jersey simple and clean just works so much better as represented by Portland and Toronto. Columbus got the sleeve bar also, but seems to works much better since it doesn't join into the front pattern.

Allez RSL repped this.
  7. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Staggered out to the team store to look at the new kits. The authentic, chesticles jersey is as unfortunate in person as online, imho. The replica jersey, with a solid band across the chest is much better less bad.

Worst news was that they're not doing any keepers jerseys this year. Apparently Adidas "had an issue" with them. Don't know what that means, other than that I'll be sporting my Xango gear again this year. They did say that they have some old keepers jerseys (no black ones, though) that they could personalize and maybe put LifeVantage on for $155.00.

They got some new scarves in, but there's a problem. If you put them around your neck, so they say "Real" on one side and "Salt Lake" on the other (or something like that), and then you hold them up when we score, like this:

[​IMG]

the "REAL SALT LAKE" is upside down. So they're sending them back. Wondering if Jason had a hand in designing those, too. ;)

Ismitje and rslfanboy repped this.
  8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did they have other gear?
    the goalkeeper thing is disappointing as I was going to actually buy one this year given the cool color schemes.

How, exactly, do they know there wont be any for the full year when the season hasn't even started? This Adidas deal kinda sucks lately...

9. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't seem to have a lot of new stuff out yet. There were some men's and women's t-shirts that looked good, had the RSL crest and LifeVantage on the front, and they were only $12. There's a couple of racks of Xango jerseys for 40% off.

I asked specifically about the keepers jerseys and was told there'd be nothing this year. Not sure how they know that yet, or if it was just a guess.

15 to 32 repped this.
  10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what about the badass scarfs they showed on instagram a little while back?
    Any word on those?
    I'm at work so I can't link it right this second - they posted it like 3 weeks ago before the open house.

11. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure - I didn't see the photo and I can't get to instagram here at work, either. They might be the upside-down scarves they're sending back.

12. WYFC

WYFC New Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Rocky Mountains
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Bad news about the keeper jerseys. Seems like they are going to force a poorly designed jersey onto the masses for those who want to update and support the team.

13. FC-Sky11

FC-Sky11 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really lame about the keeper jerseys. This would've been the year to get them.

Is this the scarf you were talking about 15?
    image.jpg

14. Sabra

Sabra Member

Oct 4, 2010
    I still don't get the scarfs for the MLS. I mean, in Europe they make sense because more than half of the season is played in cold weather and you have to bundle up. But here, most, if not all, of our season is played in non-scarf weather. I chuckle when I see people in the summer walking into the stadium with shorts, t-shirts, and a scarf.

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no
    they are blue and red and have a line from the Believe Anthem on them
    Along with the X (roman 10) that they are putting on everything.

16. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    If you're talking about the ones that were on display at the open house, I believe the deal was that they were going to sell one exclusively for each of the first 5 home games. So, in order to get all 5 (and thus the complete lyrics to the song), you would have to stand in line for the team store at each of the first 5 home games.
    That only seems like a good idea if you're planning on a "Believe" wall display in your TV room or something (or have 5 family members/friends that all sit next to each other). I had thought about maybe buying the "We're here for RSL" scarf, but not all 5.

15 to 32 repped this.
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are the ones!

I hadn't seen that posted anywhere - I guess that was something they made known at the open house. I'll take note and be to the RioT right at opening (for the team store, at least) so I can get mine.

18. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Yeah the thing about the scarf deal is true.
    Seemed kinda dumb to me cause at the open house it seemed there was a lot of people ready to buy them.
    Don't know why'd you buy a scarf now that it's getting warmer.

Aside from the new kits a lot of the gear is actually pretty good. My dad and I bought the new jackets they have (i say this after saying its dumb to buy a scarf)

19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wear scarfs all season long
    it sucks some nights, but...
    [​IMG]
    during certain moments

SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  20. jade fox

jade fox New Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Me too!

I always think instead of wearing/holding up a hot and uncomfortable scarf we should use red, yellow or blue Japanese or Spanish style fans. At least you could use it to cool yourself off in the heat and if you're lazy it only requires one hand to hold it up when we score.

BalanceUT repped this.
  21. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Oh boy, cultural appropriation in merchandise! Sign me up :rolleyes:

22. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't the scarves a 'cultural appropriation'?

23. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    only if they were headscarves

24. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy hell, that's an awesome idea. I'm gonna go get to work to sell these puppies in Egypt!

25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here;s a must-read about designing jerseys in MLS - Adidas knows MLS teams inside and out before designing jerseys.

An excerpt:

"Before getting to design's nitty gritty, Adidas America's MLS team in Portland acts as anthropologist. Staff members visit each MLS city to interview team executives, staff members, players and area residents. The Adidas contingent investigates the local soccer scene – checking under the hood to see what gives that particular metropolis its horsepower."

Who among you were the area experts on this one? ;)