2014 Fire Roster Speculation

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by snkscore, Aug 8, 2013.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #76 ceezmad, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013

McDonald had 579 for the season, plus about 20 in an Open Cup game.

Johnson, Anibaba, Berry and Soumare played every minute in the Open Cup.

LA did play 1 Open Cup games and CCL games this year.

LA does not have any players that have played every minute this year (they kind of have 2).

Juninho and DeLaGarza come close; they started every game during the season, but have been subbed out in a few (Juninho in the last few minutes of every game, so we could say he has played almost every minute of the season).

Then we add Open Cup and CCL

4 Fire players have gone all 340 Minutes in the Open Cup for the Fire including Berry and Anibaba.

But Juninhio and DelaGarza have also accumulated minutes, 0 in the Open Cup for both
    422 and 450 respectively in the CCL.

So you are right, it looks like in all categories, LA and the FIRE are about equal (if we account for LA has played more games).

2. jjmarinacci

jjmarinacci Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No, I am saying that I am relying upon Tweed's work in HTIOT.

As Khan showed, you weren't thorough in your research on Kries and RSL when he took over. You bandy words around like dishonest and all; I'll leave that for you, eh ;)

3. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Hmmm...if we add MacDonald at ~600 minutes and Rios at ~270 we're a bit closer to RSL but could still do better.

4. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Which article? Share a link and I'll take a look at his research.

5. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    What Frank needs to do better at is not rotation, its adjusting for different teams. We do nothing in either personnel or formation to improve our chances of beating teams with different styles. The most we do is simply play more or fewer long balls, and look to concede possession and counter more or less.

We have players that would help us in certain games and not in others. Frank needs to take advantage of that

6. jjmarinacci

jjmarinacci Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I typically am on my phone when I'm here.

bunge repped this.
  7. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #82 xtomx, Sep 10, 2013
    No, he does not. Here are the line ups for the first 10 games.
    Chicago Fire - #25-Sean Johnson , #6-Jalil Anibaba , #8-Dilly Duka ( #71-Alex 57 ) , #13-Gonzalo Segares , #14-Patrick Nyarko , #17-Chris Rolfe , #18-Steven Kinney , #20-Jeff Larentowicz , #22-Austin Berry , #26-Joel Lindpere ( #30-Yazid Atouba 71 ) , #29-Maicon Santos ( #7-Sherjill MacDonald 67 )

Chicago Fire - #25-Sean Johnson, #6-Jalil Anibaba, #7-Sherjill MacDonald (#29-Maicon Santos 45), #8-Dilly Duka (#30-Yazid Atouba 58), #13-Gonzalo Segares, #14-Patrick Nyarko, #17-Chris Rolfe (#71-Alex 65), #18-Steven Kinney, #20-Jeff Larentowicz, #22-Austin Berry, #26-Joel Lindpere

Chicago Fire - #25-Sean Johnson, #6-Jalil Anibaba, #7-Sherjill MacDonald (#29-Maicon Santos 67), #8-Dilly Duka (#71-Alex 59), #11-Daniel Paladini, #13-Gonzalo Segares, #14-Patrick Nyarko, #17-Chris Rolfe, #20-Jeff Larentowicz, #21-Mike Videira (#15-Wells Thompson 83), #22-Austin Berry

Chicago Fire - #25-Sean Johnson, #6-Jalil Anibaba, #7-Sherjill MacDonald (#29-Maicon Santos 67), #8-Dilly Duka (#71-Alex 59), #11-Daniel Paladini, #13-Gonzalo Segares, #14-Patrick Nyarko, #17-Chris Rolfe, #20-Jeff Larentowicz, #21-Mike Videira (#15-Wells Thompson 83), #22-Austin Berry
    -same line up two games in a row

Chicago Fire - #25-Sean Johnson, #3-Hunter Jumper, #6-Jalil Anibaba, #7-Sherjill MacDonald (#29-Maicon Santos 63), #11-Daniel Paladini, #12-Logan Pause, #15-Wells Thompson, #17-Chris Rolfe (#19-Corben Bone 87), #20-Jeff Larentowicz, #22-Austin Berry, #26-Joel Lindpere (#21-Mike Videira 90),

Chicago Fire - #25-Sean Johnson, #6-Jalil Anibaba, #7-Sherjill MacDonald (#29-Maicon Santos 78), #12-Logan Pause, #13-Gonzalo Segares, #14-Patrick Nyarko (#11-Daniel Paladini 87), #15-Wells Thompson, #17-Chris Rolfe, #20-Jeff Larentowicz, #22-Austin Berry, #26-Joel Lindpere (#8-Dilly Duka 82),

Chicago Fire - #25-Sean Johnson, #6-Jalil Anibaba, #7-Sherjill MacDonald (#29-Maicon Santos 66), #11-Daniel Paladini, #12-Logan Pause, #13-Gonzalo Segares, #14-Patrick Nyarko (#8-Dilly Duka 83), #17-Chris Rolfe, #20-Jeff Larentowicz, #22-Austin Berry, #26-Joel Lindpere (#71-Alex 78),

Chicago Fire - #25-Sean Johnson, #6-Jalil Anibaba, #8-Dilly Duka (#71-Alex 63), #11-Daniel Paladini (#24-Quincy Amarikwa 84), #13-Gonzalo Segares, #12-Logan Pause, #14-Patrick Nyarko, #15-Wells Thompson, #17-Chris Rolfe, #22-Austin Berry, #26-Joel Lindpere (#29-Maicon Santos 73),

Chicago Fire - #25-Sean Johnson, #6-Jalil Anibaba, #8-Dilly Duka (#24-Quincy Amarikwa 81), #12-Logan Pause, #13-Gonzalo Segares, #14-Patrick Nyarko, #15-Wells Thompson, #17-Chris Rolfe (#7-Sherjill MacDonald 53), #20-Jeff Larentowicz, #22-Austin Berry, #26-Joel Lindpere (#71-Alex 75),

Chicago Fire - #25-Sean Johnson, #4-Bakary Soumaré, #6-Jalil Anibaba, #8-Dilly Duka (#24-Quincy Amarikwa 74), #12-Logan Pause (#7-Sherjill MacDonald 81), #13-Gonzalo Segares, #14-Patrick Nyarko, #17-Chris Rolfe (#71-Alex 63), #20-Jeff Larentowicz, #22-Austin Berry, #26-Joel Lindpere

That is one out of the first 10 games was the same line up used.

I have looked at all of the rosters for this season and there have not been more than a couple of games where Klopas has used the same line up.

This season, Klopas has played 20 players in at least 10 games, and that does not include Rios and Anangono, who just arrived in the past month.

He has 13 players who have started at least 10 games (again, this does not include Rios and Anangono). Every player on the roster has started at least one game, except Alec Kann (who has yet to play).
    -In particular, Alex has played 22 games, but started 14.
    Lindpere has played 22 games, but started 16.
    Duka has played 23 games, but started 18.
    Paladini has played 18 games, but started 7.
    Santos has played 15 games, but started 1.

Yes, he has 8 "automatic" starters:
    Johnson
    the back four (but only since the trade for Soumare)
    Larentowitz
    Magee Rolfe
    ...as almost every decent team not named Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea or Man U. does.

Most agree that Nyarko, if healthy should be on that list.

Most agree that Rios, if here all season would be on that list (possibly in place of Big Red).

Most people here agree that Rolfe should not be on that list at this point. I am not sure, since I don't know if we have anyone better (sadly).
    -Personally, at this point, I would like concede to Chris M and say that Rolfe should play attacking midfielder, with Big Red/Rios behind him.

He has used all three of his substitutions in every game, or almost every game. Remember, he has only 3 substitutions. You say he uses the "same" 11-14 players. First, I have proven that is not true. Second, he can only use 14 players a game and he has done that basically every game.

There is no basis in fact that Klopas has not gone deep into the roster. The sad fact is, however, that our team in not very deep and players 16, 17, 18 on the game day roster are not very helpful.

goldclover and bunge repped this.
  8. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    This is what I want to see us discussing before games. I enjoy talking about and learning these things.

goldclover repped this.
  9. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Thanks for the research.

And this is why I say we hop on board for one more year. We have a solid core for the first time since Klopas has been coach. If we can keep the core and add depth, we'll finally have that 16-18 truly usable players and I'm betting we'll go far.

10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, I agree.

FYP.

11. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    One final point.
    Even when he trots out the same players, they are often not playing the same positions.
    Alex, Duka, Lindpere, Anibaba (and maybe one or two others) have all started at more than one spot on the field this season.

bunge repped this.
  12. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said injuries/suspension/national team call up are the only things that keep out the so-called automatic starters. If everybody is healthy, not suspended or not on international duty, this is who Frankie would start in 99% of the games. Johnson, Segares. Soumare, Berry, Anibaba, Duka, Larentowicz, Rios, Nyarko, Magee, and Rolfe
    So you already have said "8" automatic starters and if Nyarko is healthy (9), Rios would made (10) if not with national team and Duka (11) has started the last 10+ if not injured.

Have a look once Magee and Duka became regular in the starting 11, starting from the Portland game 6/8-8/10 (10 games played)
    The only changes to this starting 11 of:Johnson, Segares, Soumare, Berry, Anibaba, Duka, Larentowicz, Alex, Nyarko, Magee and Rofle, were because either a player was injured/suspended or international duty.

13. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #88 firefan2001, Sep 10, 2013
    Portland: Johnson, Segares, Soumare, Berry, Anibaba, Duka, Larentowicz, Alex, Nyarko, Magee and Rolfe.

Colorado: Johnson, Segares, Soumare, Berry, Anibaba, Duka, Larentowicz, Alex, Nyarko, Magee and Rolfe.

Columbus: Johnson, Segares, Soumare, Berry, Anibaba, Duka, Pause, Paladini, Lindpere, Magee and Rolfe.

San Jose: Tornaghi, Segares, Soumare, Berry, Anibaba, Duka, Larentowicz, Alex, Nyarko, Magee and Rolfe.

Kansas City: Tornaghi, Segares, Soumare, Berry, Anibaba, Duka, Larentowicz, Alex, Nyarko, Magee and Rolfe.

Vancouver: Tornaghi, Francis, Soumare, Berry, Anibaba, Duka, Larentowicz, Alex, Nyarko, Magee and Rolfe.

DC United: Tornaghi, Segares, Soumare, Berry, Anibaba, Duka, Larentowicz, Alex, Lindpere, Magee and Rolfe.

Houston: Tornaghi, Segares, Soumare, Berry, Anibaba, Lindpere, Larentowicz, Alex, Nyarko, Magee and Rolfe.

Philadelphia: Johnson, Segares, Soumare, Berry, Anibaba, Lindpere, Larentowicz, Alex, Nyarko, Magee and Rolfe.

Montreal: Johnson, Segares, Soumare, Berry, Anibaba, Duka, Larentowicz, Pause, Lindpere, Alex and Anangono.

So like said if it wasn't for national team duty (Johnson) injuries (Duka and Nyarko) and suspenses (Segares) the same 11 would of played all 10 games. Columbus and Montreal games probably were the only that Frankie made any kind of changes, that were not due to injury/suspense/international duty.

14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #89 xtomx, Sep 10, 2013
    In the words of Stephen Colbert, thank you for agreeing with me. :D

Last point about this.

Who on the current Fire team would you start in place of any of the 8 listed?

To me, the problem is not that Frank Klopas plays the same players each game, it's the fact that the players he is playing are (except for Johnson and Magee) simply not that good.

Johnson and Magee are the ONLY players who are "untouchable" in my book.
    I would throw Rios in there, based upon what I have seen, but I haven't seen enough to do so.

Berry is good, but needs an Arne to make him berry, berry good.
    Soumare can go away.
    Anibaba is just okay.
    Segares is one player I have no problems with, but if we find a better left back, replace him.
    Larentowicz is good, but Rios is better.
    Rolfe has been a big disappointment this season. It breaks our collective heart to see him play poorly game in and game out.

As for the next group:
    Anangono: I have not seen anything out of him that makes me believe he is better than MacDonald...except that he is not MacDonald.
    Duka has shown skill, a good sub. Could be a starter with greater consistency.
    Nyarko is our "great" player, but he is not particularly good.
    Alex is no starter, except on this Fire team.
    Lindpere is pretty good, but overpaid, slow and does not really fit the team (although I think he could if they started him game in and game out and then took him out around 68th minute)

Third group:
    Amerikwa: good energy, not a starter for a contending MLS team
    Paladini: good squad player
    Hunter Jumper: the one player I would start and see what he can do.
    Tornaghi: good to have a back up goalie, I guess.

Fourth group:
    Pause should retire, he has nothing to offer the team on the field (all of our other CDM bring more to the table)
    Bone: gone
    Santos: not sure why he is on the team, if they don't play him.
    Vidiera: gone

15. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not I.

16. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is directed at me, I'm not agreeing to it.;)

17. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I take you don't watch the "Colbert Report".

18. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not I, either.

19. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the Fire still have rights on Pappa if he wants back in the MLS? He hasn't played at all for Heerenveen.

20. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    We sold him, so signs point to no.

Though, with MLS, nobody really knows

21. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, they're only 5 games into the season.

22. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They sign a overseas player for 2.5 years and don't play him? Didn't know Hauptman owned a Dutch club too? #tooeasy

23. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Perhaps we can get him on loan. ;)

24. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shinji Kagawa is asking that question too.

25. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Tornaghi finally got his green card today.

evilmonkeycmand and bunge repped this.