2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying (CAF)

Discussion in 'Africa' started by ChaChaFut, Nov 13, 2011.

1. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Seems like everyone took note of this Cameroon performance. Unexpected and very high quality game that suddenly make Cameroon not look like a hopeless case anymore.

Unak78 repped this.
  2. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Even I have. It opens up new possibilities where there appeared to be few but it remains only one game. It appears more and more that many of their apparent issues were more personality based but this has apparently lasted for more than one cycle. Even Mexico never allowed shit to get that far. They'll take Club America to Brazil before they allow that crap to go that long. So they still have much to answer for. Can they bring this type of performance for more than one game? Is this the real Cameroon, or is the last near decade except for their AfCon run in 2006.

3. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I think you meant Cameroon's 2008 AfCon run? That said Cameroon really played quality football in 2006 (where they were ousted on penalties in the 1/4 final), while the 2008 run to final was very much a case of bunker ball against Ghana shouldered on the remarkable breakthrough performance of Alex Song.

4. Englishsoccer

Englishsoccer New Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Cameroon could do something in Brazil - you never know....

JasonMa repped this.
  5. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Egypt really giving it a go! Ghana need to shore up their midfield (take off Waris and add Badu, KPB (if fit) or Wakaso. They may also have to change a defender because 2 are on a yellow. 1:0 to the break, but easily could have been more. They still need 4 more goals and have 45 minutes to do it... so still mission impossible.

Egypt of course flopping all over the field with a hilarious dive by Salah that got the whole stadium crying for referee blood...

6. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Sound like Egypt truly went after it. I actually like that spirit. You don't run up the white flag just bc the task is very difficult. Missed the games bc of work which SUx.

7. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    What's going on with Algeria vs. Burkina Faso? That game should already be finished, no?

8. Sapientia

Sapientia Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Match ended an hour or so ago Algeria won 1-0

final five are the same teams that qualified for the last edition , apparently a first in
    Africa.

Algeria
    Cameroon
    IVC
    Ghana
    Nigeria

Congratz to all and may they proudly represent the dark continent in Brazil

Unak78, zahzah and encorelui2 repped this.
  9. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Interesting to note: 4 out of the 5 teams have an African coach (only Cameroon has a foreigner).

Re: Algeria - Burkina Faso:
    How can you have your best player Alain Traore (and IMHO currently the best African player) come on in the 77th minute? :mad: I understand he was not fully fit, but given Burkina Faso need a goal the Burkinabe coach has no excuse for not introducing him at the start of the second half! I really think the coach messed this up!

Honestly... would much prefer to see Traore and Pitroipa than anything the Algerians have. Not to mention they were crap most of the game and the sole goal they managed to score was very lucky.

---

Despicable Tunisia back at it:
    Tunisia protesting the use of two players that already played for Cameroon at the 2010 WC...
    http://www.insidefutbol.com/2013/11...on-duo-after-world-cup-playoff-defeat/109198/

---

BTW South Africa with a deserved win over Spain. Unfortunately may not count in FIFA rankings and may dissappear as an official game as Spain made a forced 8th substitution for their GK. FIFA should make an exception, because South Africa won far and square.

10. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Get your facts straight: Ivory Coast's one is also foreign (French!), and the Algerian one is Bosnian!

11. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Lamouchi is Franco-Tunisian, so slightly 'cheated' with this one. That said my mistake with Algeria! Thus my comment was stupid.

12. Fatso

Fatso Member

Jun 13, 2005
    How did the referee allow play to go on before Egypt scored their second goal? Somebody had thrown some flame on the pitch. Egypt was an average team. They just huffed and puffed! If Ghana had been a little bit more aggressive in the midfield, Egypt could have lost this game too.

13. Fatso

Fatso Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Sapientia, I don't think you understand the connotation of 'dark continent'. It means a continent without history; a continent that had no enlightenment. I suggest you remove; it is insulting and racist. Africa has never been the 'dark continent'. Africa is mother of humanity and its first civilizations.

encorelui2 repped this.
  14. football4life

football4life New Member

Jun 30, 2006
    To be fair, the game was a cagey affair, which is expected considering what was at stake. Burkina didn't do anything all game really. Your bias is absolutely ridiculous! Algeria deserved to go through 100%! For your info, Algeria also has many up and coming talents (Taider & Belfodil - Inter, Feghouli - Valencia, Ghilas - Porto, Slimani - Sporting Lisbon ...etc), and their style of football is much better than Burkina Faso, in fact, Algeria is better than Burkina Faso in so many ways, it's obvious to see, and this is why Algeria went through in the end, and hence the FIFA rankings don't lie. Burkina Faso was lucky and fortunate enough with a dubious call from the home leg to be going away with a lead! Everyone here going on about West Africa, and how you all wish to make it a sweep, which hints at a bit of racism! You people need to give credit where it's due!!!

Happy that the same teams from last World Cup are through again! Go Africa and good luck Algeria, Ghana, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, and Cameroon! Make us all proud!!!

15. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Let them have it. It's their first match in Cairo in forever and Bradley needed a positive cap to his tenure in Egypt. Honestly I doubt that even the Ghanaian players cared very much about it, Egypt wasn't getting another 4 goals. The only thing that I cared about was whether the police did their jobs.

16. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Neither Algeria nor Burkina Faso showed anything in the tie to deserve to go through.

All I'm saying is that it is unbelievable that Burkina Faso's best player was only introduced in the 77th minute, when they were chasing the game from the 47th minute. Burkina Faso can be way better than they played today, but only with a Alain Traore led squad. I blame the coach. But I agree that on today's performance Algeria deserve to win the tie.

There is nothing at all in the way that Algeria played the last two legs that makes me want to watch them play (unlike i.e. Morocco or Egypt). Little creativity, lumburious football and arguably by far Africa's weakest team to be heading to Brasil. At least with Burkina Faso I would have been able to watch several of my favorites African players (and most creative) go David versus Goliaths.

p.s. The referee of this game more than made up for the phantom penalty of the first leg . One or maybe even two Algerian players should have seen red.

This for one is always an automatic red (legbreaker type foul):
    [​IMG]

Unak78 repped this.
  17. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I do generally root for West African football but that also excludes East, Central, and Southern Africa. Ethiopia was in the playoffs as well. Personally, and I've said this over and again, the best team out of North Africa was Egypt, not Algeria. They deserve a WC spot more than either BF or Algeria but it is what it is.

As for racism, not really. It's more regional than racial as Ethiopians are from East Africa and are also black. And racial classification is subjective on a genetic basis anyway. Didn't truly care about BF or Algeria but I did think that a West-African sweep would be interesting bc they're clearly the dominant region at the moment and it would have made a statement about the quality of West African football. North and West Africa have been the two dominant footballing regions since time immemorial. A bit of a friendly rivalry is healthy. Noone brought up race as far as I recall and I imagine that Egyptian or Maghrebi fans feel the same about seeing their fellow North African neighbors qualify.

But Algeria vs Burkina Faso for an entire WC spot is what is all wrong about CAF qualifying to begin with, draws hold way too much sway over who gets in or not. At least one spot needs to be open, ie after 4 teams qualify outright by virtue of winning their drawn opponents, then the remaining teams playoff for the final spot. That's truly fair and gets CAF closer to their best representation possible.

football4life repped this.
  18. football4life

football4life New Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Algeria <3 despite the haters! :)

19. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I could probably do Ghana

20. Sapientia

Sapientia Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Gentlemen the final five are known, it's done, deal with it! and not one single of them stole their ticket to the big dance... big mistake to judge actual or even future performance based on the last two legs only, it's actually dishonest , qualifiers started a long time ago, rather look at the big picture, the whole journey, the hurdles each team had to overcome along the way to get here, no need to remind you how hard it is to qualify out of Africa, certain match-ups are played like a chess game and might not be exciting to watch since all that matters is the end result...in the case of Algeria I think those who have a modicum of knowledge on African football, know this African footballing nation has taken significant steps forward since 2010, revamping their squad with young players of immense untapped potential and can, 0n a good day, more than hold their own against the big boys!

This unbecoming and borderline pompous habit of singling out certain teams and talk smack about who should and shouldn't qualify is unacceptable and must stop!! unless of course this is about hurt feelings!...

football4life repped this.
  21. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
  22. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Ghana have a very good team.. don't see why not lol.

anyone notice during the Ivory Coast game, Kolo Toure was playing rightback?? LMAO wtf is Lamouchi doing any more?

23. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Living up to the standards of previous CIV coaches... what else?

24. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    shut chur mouth m8! lol jk

I think the previous 2 who made it to the World Cup weren't this dumb.