2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying (CAF)

Discussion in 'Africa' started by ChaChaFut, Nov 13, 2011.

1. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Africa qualifiers underway with the bottom teams playing a home-and-away round to reduce total teams to 40.

First round (11-12.11.2011 & 15-16.11.2011)

Tuesday matches will eliminate 12 teams. The other 12 will advance to 2nd Round (10 groups of 4)

First leg results:
    Somalia 0:0 Ethiopia
    Lesotho 1:0 (0:0) Burundi
    Seychelles 0:3 (0:1) Kenya
    Swaziland 1:3 (0:2) Congo DR
    Chad 1:2 (1:1) Tanzania
    Equatorial Guinea 2:0 (1:0) Madagascar
    Guinea-Bissau 1:1 (1:1) Togo
    Eritrea 1:1 (1:0) Rwanda
    Comoros 0:1 (0:0) Mozambique
    Sao Tome e Principe 0:5 (0:3) Congo
    Djibouti 0:4 (0:1) Namibia
    Liberia automatically advanced to 2nd round due to Mauritius withdrawal.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/africa/matches/index.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_CAF_First_Round

I don't know much about these teams but it looks to me that the draw vs. Ethiopia is a pretty good result for Somalia.

The second round will begin to be played next June.

2. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bit of a set-back for Togo, but they should be able to win at home.

3. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    http://www.ethiosports.com/2011/11/...ian-team-to-face-somalia-in-return-leg-match/

4. encorelui2

encorelui2 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    ...and should Togo get through, they drop in group I with Cameroon, Libya & D.R. Congo (virtually at this point).

The 2 Congos alongside Namibia & Kenya are virtually through.

5. encorelui2

encorelui2 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Ethiopia ends up smashing Somalia 5-0!

6. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Damn. You would have thought it'd be closer than that based on Ethiopia's inability to take care of business on the first leg. I guess they figured it out.

First round second leg results (qualified teams in bold)

Namibia 4:0 (2:0) Djibouti
    Mozambique 4:1 (2:0) Comoros
    Kenya 4:0 (3:0) Seychelles
    Tanzania 0:1 (0:0) Chad
    Madagascar 2:1 (0:1) Equatorial Guinea
    Congo 1:1 (0:0) Sao Tome e Principe
    Rwanda 3:1 (1:0) Eritrea
    Congo DR 5:1 (1:0) Swaziland
    Togo 1:0 (1:0) Guinea-Bissau
    Burundi 2:2 (1:2) Lesotho
    Ethiopia 5:0 (1:0) Somalia
    Liberia (automatic)

Second round (to begin June 2012) groups look like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_CAF_Second_Round#Groups

7. encorelui2

encorelui2 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Is it just me or will the 3rd qualifying stage from CAF be a sort of CAF world cup of its own?! Damn. I swear that stage will be more spicy than the upcoming ACN competition!

8. trekky76

trekky76 Member

May 31, 2008
    Stockholm
    Ghana - Lesotho 4-0. Match suspended due to power outage.. Perhaps they should stick to playing during daytime.

9. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Egypt up 2-0 over Mozambique at the moment.

10. trekky76

trekky76 Member

May 31, 2008
    Stockholm
    Ghana defeated Lesotho 7-0, after the power was restored. Egypt-Mozambique 2-0; one own goal by the goalkeeper reported.

11. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shot hit the post, rebounded off the keeper's back, and went into the goal.

Good to see they finally finished the game in Ghana. With all the time missed I thought they'd just start it again tomorrow or something.

12. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any news on today's qualifiers?

13. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final Scores:
    Central Africa Rep 2-0 Botswana
    Kenya 0-0 Malawi
    Cameroon 1-0 Congo DR

In progress:
    Sierre Leonne 2-0 Cape Verde
    Tunisia 0-1 Equatorial Guinea (1st)
    Ivory Coast 1-0 Tanzania (HT)
    Gambia 1-0 Morocco (2nd)
    Sudan 0-0 Zambia

...looks like our African Nations Cup co-host's success has carried on over their north African rivals, although none of those scores are FT...

14. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's results so far:

Central African Republic 2 - 0 Botswana

Tunisia 3 - 1 Equatorial Guinea
    Sierra Leone 2 - 1 Cape Verde Islands

Gambia 1 - 1 Morocco
    Ivory Coast 2 - 0 Tanzania

Sudan 2 - 0 Zambia

Kenya 0 - 0 Malawi

Cameroon 1 - 0 DR Congo

--------

Central African Rep. got their first WC qualifying win in history (according to FIFA). African champions Zambia lost 0-2 at Sudan, which helps group rivals Ghana. Gambia holds up Morocco and Ivory Coast takes advantage in group.

15. encorelui2

encorelui2 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Oh snap! Zambia already on the back heel!! Damn they are already 3 pts back with 9 goals to catch up to Ghana.... In many ways, they now are obligated to beat Ghana home & away... doubt that is gonna happen. Seems to me Ghana might just have consolidated 1st spot after just 1 game lol... Unless Sudan can create an upset in Accra.

16. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, you could say that the two best Pot 2 teams were Zambia and Morocco and they got the toughest draws in Cote d'Ivoire and Ghana. Now they are both in trouble already after just 1 game. Its been said once, but I'll say it again, Africa is the least forgiving qualifying confederation for WC. 1 bad loss can doom you.

17. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey I hope u guys don't mind but can I just have my little rant here... but seriously what are FIFA doing to Africa's qualifying tournament??!! just checked wikipedia and just realized that not only do only the group winners go through, but... once they are through to the finals stage, there's not another round robin, but 5 two team playoffs to decide the 5 qualifiers. And it doesn't state any seeding system, so if it's an open draw, we could get Ghana vs. Ivory Coast in one game, and then Burkina Faso vs. Central African Republic in the other... not only that but after next week's game, there are no other games until .... March 22, 2013! WTF?! I mean 9 months until the next match. I really wish FIFA could do with Africa what they do with Asia... have a semifinal round robin stage of 20 teams, 5 groups of 4 with the top two making the final round of 10... then 2 groups of 5... top two in each group go through, playoff for 3rd placed team... this qualifying format really stinks! :poop:

18. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Africa is forced to do this, this time around because due to FIFA and other pressures they are changing the African Cup of Nations to odd years instead of even, so it doesn't interfere with WC anymore. I think after this year they will go to something better but Africa has always preferred to go with a final stage with nearly all teams still in it. The reason is that outside of the what? top 10 teams in Asia, none of any dream of qualifying while in Africa 25 teams probably realistically believe they can qualify so Africa likes to keep as many teams in the final stage as possible.

zahzah and glennaldo_sf repped this.
  19. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the clarification.. but I don't know about that with the Asian teams, North Korea made the world cup last year, and Bahrain have been just a shot away from the last two, yet niether of these sides made the top 10 this year..

20. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am hopefully going to do reviews after each round of games, so that we can do some analysis:

Group A: Central African Republic (3pts), South Africa (1pt), Ethopia (1pt), Botswana (0pt)
    Analysis: South Africa are supposed to be heavy favorites in this group but they looked quite unfancied in there opener, a home draw to lack-luster Ethiopa. The pot 2 team in this group, Botswana lost convicingly to CAR. This is a group to watch as it could turn into a dogfight in a hurry between all 4 teams if South Africa can't get it together. Remember, South Africa had a horrible qualifying campaign during the last Africa Cup of Nations as well, so who knows what form they are in.

Group B: Tunisia (3pts), Sierra Leone (3pts), Cape Verde (0pt), Equitorial Guinea (0pt)
    Analysis: Tunisia are the big favorites here and took care of business against EQG after falling down 1-0 early. Sierra Leone won at home vs Cape Verde, the pot 2 team but neither team is considered a threat to Tunisia. If Tunisia can take care of business on the road against Cape Verde next week, then this group could be over fast.

Group C: Cote d'Ivoire (3pts), Morocco (1pt), Gambia (1pt), Tanzania (0pt)
    Analysis: CdI are probably the most consistant team in Africa Football right now and controlled Tanzania from the start. They were gifted a result as Morocco was unable to beat Gambia. Morocco was one of the strongest pot 2 teams and were really unlucky to draw CdI. The next game is massive for this group. Morocco hosts Cote d'Ivoire and losing that game would probably all but eleminate them given CdI historic form against weaker countries.

Group D: Ghana (3pts), Sudan (3pts), Zambia (0pt), Lesotho (0pt)
    Analysis: Ghana proving they are one of the best of Africa after putting 7 up on Lesotho. Sudan, a team much better at home than on the road beat ANC Champion Zambia 2-0. Zambia are going up against a brick wall next match. They are home to Ghana and dropping points could spell an early end to the unforgiving African qualifiers.

Group E: Burkina Faso (1pt), Gabon (1pt), Congo (1pt), Niger (1pt)
    Analysis: Not only did everyone draw in this group, no one even scored a goal. This is another group that could really turn into a dogfight. Congo probably has to feel the happiest as they picked up a great away draw at group favorite Burkina Faso.

Group F: Nigeria (3pts), Kenya (1pt), Malawi (1pt), Namibia (0pt)
    Analysis: It took Nigeria 80 minutes, but they were finally able to break down the Namibia defense. Kenya and Malawi played out a goalless draw. Nigeria are big favorites here and WC regulars. Results in there favorite could have them coasting this this group.

Group G: Egypt (3pts), Guinea (3pts), Zimbabwe (0pt), Mozambique (0pt)
    Analysis: Egypt and Guinea are destined to go head to head in this group. The two teams are favorites to be at the top. Egypt have long been an African powerhouse but long underacheived in World Cup qualifiers. They took care of business in their first game but now travel to Guinea in a week in a crucial early qualifier. This is definitely a group to watch and one that could come down to the last game between Guinea and Egypt.

Group: H: Algeria (3pts), Benin (3pts), Mali (0pt), Rwanda (0pt)
    Analysis: Algeria are heavy favorites in this group and looked fantastic against Rwanda. Benin picked up a great home win vs Mali but this group is likely to be one of the more boring to watch unless Algeria really screws up. Judging by their current form however (they haven't lost in nearly a year), this is very unlikely.

Group I: Cameroon (3pts), Libya (1pt), Togo (1pt), Congo DR (0pt)
    Analysis: Cameroon are favorites in what is likely to be a very tough group. Both Togo and Libya are good teams and will be eager to take a shot at Cameroon if the opportunity rises. This is one of those groups that will likely take quite a few games for us to get a clear picture of who is going to contend unless Cameroon really take care of business early.

Group: J: Senegal (3pts), Angola (1pt), Uganda (1pt), Liberia (0pt)
    Analysis: Senegal did their job and beat Liberia convincingly after giving up an early goal. The draw between Angola and Uganda will only help their cause. Both of those teams on a good day will be able to hang with Senegal, but neither has shown the form recently to prove it.

21. encorelui2

encorelui2 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    I might be wrong, but the blame should go to CAF. Doesn't each confederation decide how they will play their qualifiers? I think FIFA just says: "u give me x teams" & the confeds sit down & decide how best to come up with those x teams.

...and unless I am mistaken again, this is the same format that was used for Italia 1990 by CAF. CAF has flirted with all types of formats lol

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CAF did use that format in qualifying for World Cup 1990, albeit with only two teams qualifying that time.

23. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although they haven't clarified the procedure yet, I do imagine that the draw for the final round will be seeded, with the higher FIFA-ranked sides put into one pot and the lower-ranked sides into the other, similar to how UEFA did the Euro 2012 qualification playoffs. Barring a incredible decrease in form for either side, an Ivory Coast-Ghana series would be impossible in this scenario. CAF would be quite stupid to have their two premier sides fight to the death.

uuaww: I agree with your analysis. The next set of games could be decisive, surprisingly. As you said, if Zambia fall to Ghana, it's safe to say that that group is locked up. Same goes for Ivory Coast/Morocco. In addition to those games, I'm curious about the Group A games, Gabon v Burkina Faso, and Egypt v Guinea. Should be a good week.

24. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I agree with the rest, but these two I would like to add:
    Group H: Not sure if Algeria are heavy favourites. Benin picked up a big win, but this is still very much a three horse race between Algeria, Benin and Mali. Mali won 3rd place at the African Cup of Nations and Rwanda will be dead last in this group, so I think there is still all to play for.

Group I: Congo DR may have lost, but they played some excellent football and they are the perenial underachievers of Africa. So actually this group has three good teams, not two.

25. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guinea isn't on the same level as Egypt, they are just the capable team of feasting on Egypt's constant underacheiving in WCQ. I see what you're saying in Group H, but I am going to withhold further judgement until after next week. Don't agree with Group I. Congo DR will be a bottomfeeder IMO until they prove otherwise. Tons of teams play well without getting results, I want to see Congo DR get some results before I start lumping them in with teams that have aspirations of qualification.