2014 FIFA World Cup: Final Draw 06.12.13

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Nov 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Bigote de Dalí

May 30, 2013
    South Jordan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the over/under on Coca-Cola adverts featuring happy kids playing on a dirt pitch with a make-shift ball?

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    He is referring to the imbalance within the pots (e.g. Switzerland & Brazil). Obviously across different pots you can have imbalance (in fact, you're supposed to.... that's the whole point of having pots).

benficafan3 and faiyez repped this.
  3. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Agreed on Algeria.

But having watched all of both playoff legs of Cameroon and Ivory Coast, I'd rather play Ivory Coast right now.

I.C. under this coach looks like the old-school team of individuals with no collective movement and the heavy shadow of an aging Drogba hanging over them.

Cameroon had some very exciting young players who weren't deferring to Eto'o at all, just playing alongside him.

IMO, from weakest to strongest: Algeria, Ecuador, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Nigeria, Ghana, Chile

4. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Desired groups: Switzerland's, Belgium's.

Undesired groups: Brazil's, Argentina's, Germany's, Spain's

Pot B desired draws: Algeria, Nigeria

Pot B undesired draws: Chile, Ecuador, a strong European team

Pot C desired draws: Honduras, Australia, Iran

Pot C undesired draws: USA, Japan

Pot D desired draws: Croatia, Greece

Pot D undesired draws: just about everyone else.

5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Your take on Ivory Coast versus Cameroon based on their respective playoff matches in the qualifiers, is one that most people who watched them have mentioned and would endorse. However, you probably have to balance those games with what you get from the entirety of their respective records. After all, teams do have their momentary ups and downs.

That said, we are not that far in how we see this pot.

6. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Are there any restrictions on having 3 European teams in one group?

7. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Yes.

8. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yes.. no group can have more than 2 UEFA teams.

Hence why when the random Pot 4 team is drawn, they are placed into a group with a Pot 1 CONMEBOL team (drawn from Pot X).

9. ghost101

ghost101 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Looks like Platini has stopped his side from getting put in a group of death.

10. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Brazil, Italy, Portugal, Japan. :eek:

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Wouldn't Portugal and Italy be in the same pot?

12. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Depends. If one of them is put in the pot with the CAF-Chile+Ecuador Pot, then obviously not.

13. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Either of them could be taken to pot 2, hence the group is possible.

14. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    X "factor"

leonidas and lucasc repped this.
  15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    In light of the historical and linguistic bonds between them, does Portugal enjoy any form of home field advantage playing in Brazil, not against Brazil, but against other teams? In other words, the World Cup being in Brazil, does it help Portugal's chances at all?

16. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    In Sao Paulo, I think more people would support Italy than Portugal. :D

In short, nah, I think any effect will be marginal if any.

BlackDiamond repped this.
  17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Well, in that case, good luck if you get a group like that! You will need it. After all, Portugal's record against Italy just about sucks! And its foolish to count on getting points against Brazil in Brazil, even if you managed to hold them scoreless in South Africa.

18. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not to many countries(if any) would support their former colonialist powers, however there is still many Portuguese living in Brazil, so who knows.

19. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    First thing I thought.
    I saw a bunch of people from SP in Rio during the Confeds Cup who went there just to cheer for them.
    80% of people born in SP are Italian decedents or something like that.

I say that without malice, I don't think most people here hold grudges against the Portuguese, even because it's not like they became a huge empire while coasting on us. I've seen a few cases, however.

20. bwiorly

bwiorly Member

May 3, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes and he is fixing the draw as we speak so France is placed in a group with Switzerland, Algeria and Honduras. My sources also tell me that he has already secured France's spot in the semis through various dealings that I can't reveal, and is currently working on the final. Once he gets us there, we'll reportedly be on our own though because he doesn't want his integrity to be questioned.

I'm telling you, as much as I have problems with the ethical aspect of all the help we're getting from him, I'll gladly take it because nothing beats having your team make it to the WC final.

(Oh darn, I forgot my emoticon, just like you forgot yours...)

21. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well, not that I would want to face Italy, but most of the history was in a period when Portugal lost to many teams, so history can be a very deceptive thing.

22. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's the type of team we tend to have trouble with. Tactically disciplined and hard to put off balance...

23. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Switzerland, Algeria, Honduras and Greece Group FTW!
    That will happen, and that group will get the most favorable venues too, I just bet.
    Then we will have Brazil, Italy, Japan and the Netherlands in one hyperdeath group, playing in Manaus...

24. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Even if you focused on the period after 2000, when Portugal was definitely emerging as a strong European team with the blossoming of its so-called Golden Generation and as Euro 2000 semifinalists, you still see Portugal not doing well against Italy. You haven't played them that often in this period, but the 4 times you have faced them, you have lost.

25. BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don´t think so. I believe Brazilians will support the underdogs whenever they face a tougher side. Anyway, the overall impact of it will be minimal.