2014 FIFA World Cup: Final Draw 06.12.13

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Nov 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WestLooper

WestLooper Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Makes total sense that teams ranked #13 and #49 should be in the same pot after spending 2+ years qualifying.

2. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ^ That would be an interesting group.

Just hope one of these countries won't start a war when the other ones beat them.

;)

LGRod and Iranian Monitor repped this.
  3. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    So, France will be in a Pot outside of the rest of the European teams, so therefore must be drawn against a South American side from the Seeds.

So one of Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay awaits them, throw in another side from the European pot and you could have one hell of a group of death, then you could just as easily get a Ghana or Ivory Coast in there with them.

4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's the current speculation based on the assumption that the same system is used to handle 9 UEFA teams as was used before (2010 I think?)

We will know for sure on Wednesday whether FIFA repeats that procedure or repeats a different one or chooses a new one.

5. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yes, the assumption is based on what happened in 2006 when Serbia & Montenegro were placed in the special pot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup#Groups

Ombak repped this.
  6. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    How likely do you guys think it would be for FIFA to surprise everyone with an all-new drawing scheme?

7. pjdonald

pjdonald Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Tuesday. http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...world-cup-draw-news-pots-to-be-known-tuesday/

Seems unlikely, but that would sure spice things up. Maybe they'll do it to distract from the crappy logistical news.

8. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, in 1998 there was already

Germany
    Iran
    USA
    Yugoslavia

So you never know. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to drink until I purge France '98 from my memory as my 7 year old self can't handle it anymore :(

s7kru repped this.
  9. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #34 Iranian Monitor, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    Although you may have a point, its important to also remember that FIFA's rankings aren't gospel by any means. Iran's ranking has improved to #45, taking us from #2 in the AFC according to FIFA, to #1 in the AFC. In the meantime, Japan is now #48 and #2 in the AFC!

While many would be all too happy to underrate Iran, I think most realize that if the US is #13, Japan is not #48! And I don't see what spending 2+ years qualifying have to do with it. All these teams spent time qualifying!

But don't get me wrong, as much as you hate seeing the US not have the chance to play Asian teams, being grouped in the same pot (if this is how FIFA decides things after all), Asian teams aren't happy that they won't get the chance to play teams from the Concacaf region. Even the best of them, which undeniably seems to be the US at the moment.

Which is why I would gladly take the Group E I had listed over many other groups we might end up with!

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran has this extremely popular television program devoted to football that runs late night on Mondays. The program, called Navad in Persian (90 in English), has an SMS poll that it conducts every time with several million viewers often taking part in the poll. The poll last night asked Iranian fans to choose the top seed they prefer to have in Iran's group. The results, though not perfectly consistent, show that Iranian fans are mostly interested in seeing Iran get exposure and experience against top teams than having an easier route to the knock out rounds!

Here are the results from Navad's SMS poll in percentages among approximately 1.8 million responses that were received:

Argentina (39%)
    Spain (15%)
    Brazil (11%)
    Switzerland (10%)
    Germany (10%)
    Belgium (7%)
    Colombia (4%)
    Uruguay (4%)

blacksun repped this.
  11. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I want Iran to shock the world and make it out of their group

Team Melli forever and Perspolis#1 repped this.
  12. Stefan79

Stefan79 Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The pots will be announced at a press conference around 4:30 pm cet I just read on fifa.com

13. jupal

jupal Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Switzerland
    A press conference will be held in Costa do Sauipe, Bahia (Brazil) on 3 December at 12.30 local time (16.30 CET), following the meeting of the Organising Committee for the FIFA World Cup™.

At this meeting, the allocation of pots for the FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014 Final Draw, as well as the prize money for the tournament, will be determined.

The press conference will be attended by FIFA President Blatter, Jose Maria Marin, the LOC chairman, Aldo Rebelo, Minister of Sport, Jérôme Valcke, FIFA Secretary General and Ronaldo, Member of the LOC Board of Administration.

The press conference will be streamed live as of 12.30 local time (16.30 CET) on FIFA.com and FIFA on YouTube.

*If you are in the FIFA app, you will have to click on the related link to launch the live streaming.

source: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/final-draw/news/newsid=2238114/index.html

14. mr cricket

mr cricket Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Dream draw for Australia:

Switzerland
    Australia
    Algeria
    Greece

Nightmare draw:

Brazil
    Australia
    France
    Netherlands.

It will be a complete massacre.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'm not fond of the "difficulty multiplier" used by the FIFA ranking. Seems like circular thinking to me ("they are better, hence they get more points, and since they have more points, they are better").

Using the current ranking plus previous achievement in World Cups (2 previous ones; qualification matches included) should be used, IMO. Ranking alone to assign pots would work with a better system (like Elo). In this case, with the multipliers and the fact that sometimes you get more points by losing than by winning (depending on the rival), tells me all is not ok with the math behind the system.

How can Japan be so low, and Switzerland so high? Luck in the qualification group, plus selecting friendlies carefully, can mess up the system.

FIFA feed for this announcement here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/FIFATV

27 minutes left.

16. WestLooper

WestLooper Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Anyone predicting a shake-up from the expected geographical pots? I am hoping, but seems unlikely.

17. Perspolis#1

Perspolis#1 Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How else would they organize them? Strictly by rank?

18. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    They could surprise us and do just that. In fact, that's what I'm hoping for. Just make sure there aren't continental clashes.

Perspolis#1 repped this.
  19. pjdonald

pjdonald Member

Dec 7, 2005
    I still see a "will start soon" message at the FIFA link. Anyone else have a live feed?

20. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    same here

21. WestLooper

WestLooper Member

Apr 17, 2005
    This is FIFA, who have Switzerland as a seed above Italy, Holland and Portugal. Anything is possible.

Perspolis#1 repped this.
  22. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It's starting now

23. pjdonald

pjdonald Member

Dec 7, 2005
    started. Shut up all you guys, who apparently like hearing yourself talk. Get to the point....

24. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i know... they can't get to this fast enough lol... i love everything about this though :)

25. pjdonald

pjdonald Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Love it? Love them blatantly ignoring their own stadium deliver deadlines?