2014 FIFA WC QLF, AFC: Group A

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Nurafshon, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uzbekistan2006

Jan 4, 2005
    Khorezm, Uzbekistan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    you guys are funny

2. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Well at least the Iranians and Koreans have earned the right to overestimate their teams. Collectively, Iranians and Koreans have 11 World Cup appearances and 5 Asian Cup titles under their belt? What have you archived in Asia again? Don't get me wrong, I like Uzbekistan, but all the fans overstimulate their teams more or less, and if anything, the Uzbek fans have a lot more to prove than Iranians or Koreans.

3. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    We won Asian Games in 1994(at det time Main teams) beating Koreans in d finals:p. but u right, we have to grow still, and I strongly believe det we will gain some more respect after this qualification;)!!
    Good Luck to all teams!!

4. Uzbekistan2006

Jan 4, 2005
    Khorezm, Uzbekistan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    I was looking for a famous quote about history and future in google to post here. But I could not find the proper one :eek:. I do not like paying attention to the history. But WE HAD VERY GOOD FOOTBALL IN THE PAST before joining Asia. Even Pakhtakor won Japan by 5-0 or 6-0. But it was in the past. Yes, we have not achieved anything in Asia. But we will achieve in the future. Because we have prosperous youth generation.

5. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I wasn't counting Asian Games, or else I could have added Iran's five Asian Games titles to that list. ;)

Joking aside, I clearly remember 1994 Asian Games. It was Uzbekistan's first major tournament in Asia. From what I remember, there was a huge hype about Uzbekistan in the Iranian media, and how they're going to dominate Asian football for years to come. Yet, Uzbekistan for some reason, just went off the radar after that tournament.

6. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    well we're confident, but you're no different for questioning our confidence. Iran's head to head against UZB is 3 W-1D and no losses. Korea's head to head against UZB is 7wins-1D-1Loss

Iran hasn't lost to Leb in 7 matches; Leb hasn't even scored against Iran in 7 matches. Korea has beat Leb 5 times, drawn once and lost once

No reason not to be confident.

7. Dohahah

Dohahah Member

Feb 21, 2012
    US, Qatar
    Club:
    Al Sadd SC Doha
    Nat'l Team:
    Qatar
    Uzbekistan knows how to beat Qatar at home because of one lousy game? Our home record against Uzbekistan is very good and we even hammered them 3 zero in the last qualifiers despite being underdogs. If it wasn't for Fossati's surgery, he would've continued with us until the end of the qualifiers and I had no reason to doubt our ability to reach the two legs against New Zealand. Could've easily gone to the world cup with that team in that poor qualification if it hadn't been Fossati's health condition.

I'm not saying Uzbekistan won't beat us in Qatar because they have a 1/3rd chance they do. In every game of football you have the same chances of winning and losing and drawing. It's the same everywhere. But looking at Uzbekistan's record against Arab teams, they rarely come to the Arab countries in order to win. I hope this trend continues but with Uzbekistan's strength, they might finally end this trend.

I already said what Qatar needs to do in order to qualify. We need to win at least 4 matches and we can only afford to lose 2 or 3 matches and draw the remainder. That is good enough for us. If we win only 3 matches then we need to draw all 5 in my opinion.

But as Elspamo said, Qatari players have a habit of disappointing the fans.

I think the teams with the best chances of qualification in this group are South Korea and Uzbekistan.

8. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

i think you wanna be able to say "i told you so" if that does happen. There are always one or two people who try to say things like this. That philipino guy made a similar prediction and we know what happened with Iran in the last round. UZB will be battling for third.

9. Uzbekistan2006

Jan 4, 2005
    Khorezm, Uzbekistan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    We should create History board about Iranian and Korean football ;)

10. Uzbekistan2006

Jan 4, 2005
    Khorezm, Uzbekistan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    :D Nimaa Abramov

11. Dohahah

Dohahah Member

Feb 21, 2012
    US, Qatar
    Club:
    Al Sadd SC Doha
    Nat'l Team:
    Qatar
    This is why I said Lebanon game is must win. No excuses. We should win against Lebanon even with our key players rested for the Korea game. We don't need Sebastian Soria in the game, we might not even need Khalfan Ibrahim Khalfan. Yusef Ahmed in the front instead of Sebastian Soria. Accompanying him should be Majid Mohammed. Khalfan Ibrahim should be replaced by Fabio Cesar or Majedi Sadeeq. I also think we should rest the goalkeeper for Korea game. Lekhwiya's goalkeeper Baba Malik is very good and should be given the chance in the Lebanon game.

For Korea we should play Sebastian Soria instead of Yusef Ahmed but keep Yusef in the subs bench. Khalfan Ibrahim takes place of either Fabio Cesar or Majedi Sadeeq. And Jassem Burhan or Mohammed Saqer takes place of Baba Malik in goal.

I don't mind W-D-D in our first 3 games provided we win the next two home games. But that will put more pressure on the players to deliver.

My advice for the players is to take every game as a winnable game. If we get W-W-D it's even better. That will put us in good confidence in our next two home games and hopefully we can seal a top 2 place before our away games to Uzbekistan and Korea. :)

13 points Insha'allah will be good enough for automatic qualification. Lebanon should be 6 points. Uzbekistan should be either 2 points or 4 points. Iran should be either 2 points or 4 points. Korea is probably 2 points or 1 point. But it's good enough. If we beat Korea in Qatar and add 3 points to Lebanon then we'll have 6 even before playing against Iran in Tehran. That is ideal. And then a draw in Iran and we'll be on our way to the home games, which should be easier games than the first three.

It's all about momentum. The opponents don't matter. Iran doesn't matter to me or Korea or Uzbek. What matters is the form and momentum. Win against Lebanon, get a positive result against Korea and Iran and that will help us win against Uzbekistan and Lebanon at home. Then it's mission accomplished.

12. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    this. i dont think iran will mess it up completely but come on... winning 6 games? you only won 3 last time...and 2 of them were against the powerhouse indonesia.

13. Uzbekistan2006

Jan 4, 2005
    Khorezm, Uzbekistan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Prediction is itself prediction not a final result. So relax. Iran is very strong team. No one denies it. But every team has some both negative and positive sides. Iran always play football by heart. But such attitude will lead to losing concentration.

14. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Qatar were extremely lucky to get away with a draw the first match against Iran, and the 2nd we were too lenient to push for a win. You have some good naturalized players whom are very physical, but they are not gonna be able carry Qatar to Brazil (direct ticket).

I predict a comfortable 3-0 win for Iran over Qatar in 12 June.
    And the games prior to that: I think Qatar will draw Lebanon. Then loose to South Korea.

However I see Qatar clinching the playoff spot instead of Uzbekistan. Uzbekistan is a very strong team, undefeated this round with a win over Japan on their belt. Somehow I just think they are not gonna carry that over to this round. In previous qualifiers they havent managed to convince when it really matters. Maybe its the mental factor.
    Then again Iran also has a nasty habit of loosing points when it matters the most, in the most crucial games. But I do believe things are going to be different with CQ at the helm.

At least when or if Qatar meets the playoff opponent from South America, some of the "Qatari" players will feel right at home. :)

15. Dohahah

Dohahah Member

Feb 21, 2012
    US, Qatar
    Club:
    Al Sadd SC Doha
    Nat'l Team:
    Qatar
    Uzbekistan will only battle for third if Qatar goes ahead with the plan and performs like Lebanon performed in the previous round, by exceeding expectations and playing to their 100% potential.

If that doesn't happen then Uzbekistan will naturally go to the world cup because their team is stronger on paper than all other teams, except maybe Korea.

History also doesn't mean anything. Don't be surprised if Lebanon beats Iran in Lebanon and don't be too surprised if Uzbekistan (with all absent players) might still beat Iran in Iran.

Anything can happen but I think Uzbekistan is much stronger than Qatar and Iran right now. If Uzbekistan gets third place it will be disappointment for them because they can do better.

16. Uzbekistan2006

Jan 4, 2005
    Khorezm, Uzbekistan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    I hope UZB will not do any mistakes as in previous WCQs.

17. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    it's all about context
    the last match we had already qualified and the team clearly played like they didn't give a shit.

The other draw against Qatar looked like this. To me, the gods of football saved Qatar on this one.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnkFeIUxD8k"]Qatar - Iran | Full Highlights [ WCQ 2014 ] - YouTube[/ame]

all i know is that a team has to be doing smtg right to have a 12 game unbeaten run. Apart from Korea, I'm confident of at least draws against all the other teams. I'm not even giving Leb a 1 percent chance. I don't care about their current form. They haven't scored against Iran in 7 matches!! With Qatar we have questionable performances usually, but we still get a tie at min. UZB, again, until we lose against them, I'm not going to worry about them.

18. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    we can't live without mistakes:D already done for this round too, 5 players r missing against Iran in Tash:p

19. Uzbekistan2006

Jan 4, 2005
    Khorezm, Uzbekistan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    I dont think so. Iran is slightly better than Uzbekistan, but who knows..

20. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    lmao
    they haven't scored against us in 7-SEVEN matches! I don't see them beating us anytime soon. And how is UZB stronger on paper? You don't make sense man. On paper, UZB has lost 3 and tied one against Iran. Korea's head to head against UZB is 7wins-1D-1Loss

on paper, things are even worse.

21. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    damn, I'm gonna be talking shit for 2 months. :D
    June can't come soon enough

22. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i dont doubt you guys can beat those teams i only doubt it will be 6 wins. i think 4 is a decent number if your lucky 5. i predict only 12-17 points for us.

23. Uzbekistan2006

Jan 4, 2005
    Khorezm, Uzbekistan
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Those five players are not always starters except Jeparov. It would be tragedy for us if Ahmedov and Kopadze were in the list. Kopade will be able to replace Jeparov. He organized the game very well against Japan. Inomov, Jasur Hasanov (junior), Bikmayev, Oybek Kilichev hopefully will replace those missed palyers

24. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    agree

2 against Leb is guaranteed.
    1 against Qatar.
    1 against UZB
    I'm hoping 1 against Korea

25. Dohahah

Dohahah Member

Feb 21, 2012
    US, Qatar
    Club:
    Al Sadd SC Doha
    Nat'l Team:
    Qatar
    You are being too humble and kind brother.

Uzbekistan is miles ahead of Iran. If all goes to plan, Uzbekistan should win all its home games, draw a few outside and maybe lose 1 or 2. For Qatar's sake I hope your plan does not succeed lol but my prediction is Uzbekistan gets 4-2-2 or 4-3-1 record, which is good enough.

Iran will draw too many games. They'll lose to Uzbekistan in Tashkent and Korea in Seoul. They might only beat Lebanon powerhouse 2 times and draw 4 games against Uzbekistan at home, Korea at home and Qatar two times.

Iran's record will be 2 wins 4 draws 2 losses I think. :D

Korea also went to Lebanon with a perfect record against Lebanon. Doesn't mean shit. I'm saying don't be surprised because it can happen. Uzbekistan's historical record with Iran doesn't mean shit. Uzbekistan's record against even Saudi Arabia isn't good but if both teams play today then Uzbeks will squash Saudi.