2014 Dallas Cup Results and Discussion

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sup Bro, Apr 13, 2014.

1. shadrach

shadrach Goldenchild

Jan 19, 2002
    quit being nosy...
    Tough game to watch. Knew we were in for it when I saw the starting XI. River was just flat out better. Good thing is Tab got max games to evaluate and most players received ample opportunities to show their qualities.

2. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    I got no problem. Result is meaningless at this point...he should have atleast 2+ games seen of every player at the tourny. Thats more important imo.

Assuming you belief Tab can evaluate.

Peter Bonetti and SUDano repped this.
  3. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Score is meaningless but results are not. We are a good team playing against academies who didn't bring their top talent bc those 95,96's on first team or reserves. Secondly, the offence is excellent. It's our defense that is average bc of poor fitness and play from college players mostly. The future is still bright

4. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, like, 3 players for River Plate, tops. We've had 3 of our best players get called back early, not to mention not even having our best defenders...

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/club-atletico-river-plate/startseite/verein_209.html

It's a loss, but still overall an excellent tournament.

5. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

"Score is meaningless but results are not" ???
    "against academies who didn't bring their top talent bc those 95,96's on first team or reserves." ??
    Probably more true of the US squad.

I have no idea what you are saying, but I think I would probably disagree. From all the blogging and write ups I have read I am left with the impression that we have some pretty good individual talent. That we more or less assembled a team together in a week or so that got to the finals is an attribute to their skill and ability. Had Ramos been able to either bring in one or two additional players or not loss players to club during the tournament they might have won. Overall there is a lot to be excited about imo.

dwsmith1972 and Namdynamo repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. A very good experience for the group all around, and I'm sure the staff was able to come away with a lot in terms of player evaluation.

Let's not forget about the "front 6" talents out there also eligible for this group (Julian Green, Junior Flores, Emerson Hyndman, Kristian Scott, Sonora, etc.)

So I'm very satisfied going forward with the "front 6" in this sliver of our talent pool. And with the keepers for that matter. Steffen, Castano.........and Horvath, give us some good prospects there.

Still worried about the defensive pool, but when am I not? Seems like Acosta, Miazga.............and a whole lot of question marks. Can EPB, Redding, etc. play up a cycle? And what about left back? Dont' get me wrong. I think the defensive corps can lead to qualification from CONCACAF. We're gonna have to figure some things out to be successful at the "next level," however.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Here's the Dallas Morning News write-up from this morning:

Exhaused US U20 national team slips up in wet Dallas Cup final:

http://soccerblog.dallasnews.com/20...l-team-slips-up-in-wet-dallas-cup-final.html/

“We were completely flat in the first half,” Ramos said. “Completely flat. I was disappointed. You can only ask so much of the boys when you play so many games in so few days.”

The U-20s were looking to become the second American team to win a Super Group title at the Dallas Cup and first since 2006, when the Dallas Texans 88s won it with Dallas native Omar Gonzalez, now on the U.S. senior squad.

8. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to win something like that with a pretty depleted squad of players

9. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    I wouldn't underestimate the potential for problems in central midfield, especially if there are injuries or key players unavailable for qualifying. Remember that last cycle's team was forced to play Joya out of position as a c-mid and it really didn't work out well. Having Acosta to build around in central midfield could be huge, but if he's injured, unavailable for some reason, or forced to play fullback, I think that's a huge blow to the team.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We have options that didn't play with this group at the Dallas Cup like Marky Delgado, Kristian Scott, Russell Cannouse, etc. Emerson Hyndman has been moved back by Fulham, and he now plays more of a two-way midfield position.

Depth at all positions is a cause for concern, but I think the holes in defense are the biggest problem.

11. Holla at ya boy

May 15, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick question, on the goal that was called back for offside, which player was offside? I thought there was a River Plate defender on the line the whole time? Doesn't make a huge difference, but just wondering.

12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was one defender on the line but there has to be 2 defenders and the keeper had come out

13. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that assessment is a little unfair to him. I mean he is playing out of position with guys he barely knows. I would like to see him where he is comfortable on the field to have a better understanding if he can hack it at this level.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Dr Pepper Dallas Cup
    ‏@dallascup
    Over 130 College Coaches and 30 registered International Scouts attended the Dallas Cup http://fb.me/2JMadVSSG

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Behind the scenes with FCD academy for their game against Fulham at the Dallas Cup: