2014 Crew International duty thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by cleazer, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's have ones ingle thread to cover international call-ups, be it Costa Rica or US youth national team or whatever.

Giancarlo Gonzalez went the full 90 for Costa Rica tonight, while Waylon Francis watched proceedings from the bench. Joel Campbell and Alvaro Saborio scored for CR as they beat Paraguay 2-1.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  2. FootyRef

FootyRef Member+

Apr 13, 2007
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Gonzalez have any part in the goal they allowed?

3. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fast forward to the 41:00 mark of this video for Paraguay's corner kick goal. Looks like Gonzalez (wearing #3 I think) is marking his Paraguayan pretty tightly, so I don't think you can blame him.

Campbell's goal in the first half was fantastic.

4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy, do they do commentary through the loudspeakers/PA system down there???

5. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see the write up at thecrew.com about how one of our important new signings went 90 minutes for a world cup bound team. I guess they were busy.

6. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parkhurst got called up for the US/Mexico match tonight. It's not an international friendly date, so Costa Rica isn't playing.

Two possible future Crew players got called up to US youth teams.
    http://www.thecrew.com/blog/post/2014/04/02/braima-swanson-called-represent-us

Ben Swanson got called up to the US U-18 team, with 2 friendlies coming up next week.

George Braima got called up to the US U-17 team, with 5 games coming up on a trip to Bosnia and Croatia. (First game is tomorrow, April 3.)

Braima played in a few games last month for the U-17's too. (It looks like Swanson last appeared for the US U-18's in February.)

7. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the idea of getting these kids in and around the team at an early age. With the new Obetz facilities and improved state of the team, the hope is that these kids dream of ultimately playing for the Crew first team. Most kids coming up think, "I'm going to make it big playing soccer, and that is going to happen in Europe." While we're certainly never going to have the same allure as a Barcelona/Bayern/United type club, we should be seen more and more as a better option for these kids than playing in the Denmark or Norway. With the addition of the Academy system and getting these kids around the first team at a younger age, we're developing a culture where young kids see where they want to end up every day they go to train at Obetz.

8. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That music was beyond obnoxious.

I really hope Parkhurst shows well.

9. Dominican

Dominican Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Reynoldsburg
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought MP played well tonight.

10. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, both.

Why fly a kid from Columbus to Cali for 4 days of practice with a U-21 team after playing 90 minutes on Saturday? Especially when he'll likely play another 90 this Saturday? My guess is that he had a slight knock and was going to be held out of practice today, maybe even tomorrow. So getting only a day or 2 with the u21s wouldn't be worth the travel. Better to just rest here and heal up before next weekend's game.

13. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kevan George came on as a second half sub in T&T's games against Argentina and Iran.

Argentina won 3-0 and Iran won 2-0, but all 5 goals were scored before George was subbed in. I'm not entirely sure, but it appears he was subbed on for a midfielder in both games.

He was subbed on in the 71st minute vs Argentina, and the 63rd vs Iran. So he got some decent playing time, 46 minutes plus whatever injury time there was, which likely got him over 50.

14. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  15. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Copa Centroamericana will be September 3-13, and is being held in the US this time.

Costa Rica has named a preliminary squad of 50 players, including Gonzalez, Francis, and Arrieta. They don't have to narrow it down to 23 players until September 2. I think.

Obviously, this would conflict with our games against Chivas on September 7 and at Houston on September 13.

The Centroamericana may be worth competing for this year, because the winner will be invited to play in the 2016 Copa America Centenario.

Tune in in a week or two to find out if any of our guys actually get called up or not.

16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Thanks for the info cleazer. Anyone else think a 50 man roster is a bit over the top?

17. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Is it being played on FIFA dates, ie dates when the club has to release players?

18. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
  19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Ok, it would have been easier to answer the question if you knew.

Looking it up, the tournament is being played partly on FIFA dates and partly not. FIFA has a window from Sept 1-9 so theoretically the Crew could recall the Costa Ricans ahead of the final for our league match with Houston. CR has a good chance of making the final though so that wouldn't earn any goodwill with the players.

20. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    I still expect Gonzalez to be sold.

If that ends up happening I would expect we would prevent Gonzalez from playing out there a week before the deadline. After that, he's not our problem and who knows if he would decide to play there or in Europe.

Arietta and Francis would be likely to miss a game or two.

21. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
  24. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    I'm guessing clubs have told them they won't be releasing the first team players.

25. odave

odave Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew