2014 Canadian Championship

Discussion in 'Canada' started by fridge46, Dec 7, 2013.

1. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yesterday, the format and schedule for the 2014 Canadian Championship was announced:

PRL1: OTT v EDM, 23-APR-2014

PRL2: EDM v OTT, 30-APR-2014

SFL1: OTT/EDM v MON, 7-MAY-2014
    SFL1: TOR v VAN, 7-MAY-2014

SFL2: MON v OTT/EDM, 14-MAY-2014
    SFL2: VAN v TOR, 14-MAY-2014

FL1: Lowest seed v Highest seed, 27/28-MAY-2014

FL2: Highest seed v Lowest seed, 4-JUN-2014

2. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    For the purposes of having the highest attendance possible, I'll be cheering for Ottawa to beat the Eddies.

fuzzx repped this.
  3. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Oh yes an Ottawa vs Montreal semi could have put some soccer fans into seats at Landsdowne Park if it were ready. A TV audience for the French Networks will peak will be good for Ottawa

4. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #4 adrenaline11, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    No, Landsdowne won't be ready until the Fall season. Ottawa will be playing their Spring Season at Carleton University. It appears as though they have received some sort of waiver from the CSA to play on a pitch with football lines:

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if the Eddies break even when they play at Commonwealth but it doesn't seem likely that they do. If Ottawa did get a waiver, I'd be pissed if I was Tom Fath after having to rent Commonwealth just to conform to the rules.

5. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think that one could argue that the difference is that Ottawa does not have a stadium available without football lines.

6. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I did add to my comment it would be great if Landsdowne were ready for the game. Since it will be however some good promotion for TV with the game be both on a French Network and an English Network could draw a great TV ratings for the games if it were between Ottawa and Montreal.
    Also I do not know what kind of space there may be behind the goals at Carleton but adding VIP section tents Impact behind one goal and Fury behind the other.
    Also organized bus trip and tickets for Fury fans for the game at Saputo in Montreal.
    Start building this cross league rival as much as possible right off the bat

7. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Assuming the new players perform as expected on the field, it looks like TFC is doing their best to make this year's competition more interesting.

8. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It is an Event that could be made into a much bigger national Cahmpionsip with promtion and TV networks.
    2014 will be staying on Sportsnet and there are signs that both Ottawa and EDM may be playing their games at current sights with football lines.
    2015 however with the WWC and all of the pitches being ready for the June World cup an April and May preview of a soccer championship for Canada could be very well promoted and come out as a huge winner

9. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9 SJJ, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    http://www.concacaf.com/article/changes-for-future-amway-canadian-championships

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-...-championships-p156082&t=championship_article

2014 played as sheduled; winner plays in the 2014-2015 Concacaf tournament.

MLS team with the most points (2014 regular season) will play in the 2015-2016 Concacaf tournament.

2015 July-August tournament (after the Women's World Cup) will advance a team to the 2016-2017 Concacaf tournament. The schedule will switch to June-July starting in 2016.